• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who's it going to be?

A couple of hours later and Barrett's odds have lengthened slightly to 11/10, and Campbell's have shortened significantly to be second favourite at 15/8, Larsson 11/4, Harris 9/1 and then lots on 33/1 (including Waddock, Chris Powell(!) and Mark Milligan)

I am not a gambling man and have no idea what any of them numbers mean in terms of how 11/10 makes Barrett the current favourite!

I honestly hope it is resolved really soon as Waddock, despite pulling one result out of his hat just hasn't been able to sustain any form at all and the players need to get some stability.

I am not a gambling man and have no idea what any of them numbers mean in terms of how 11/10 makes Barrett the current favourite!

I honestly hope it is resolved really soon as Waddock, despite pulling one result out of his hat just hasn't been able to sustain any form at all and the players need to get some stability.

Quite simply, when you see odds expressed as fractions, the number on the left represents the return you get if you place the stake using the number on the right. So in Adams case, for every £10 you put on, you get £11 back. So if you put £10 on, the total return would be £21 (i.e. the winnings of £11 plus your stake).

That's quite close to evens, which is where the 2 numbers are the same.

With the Campbell odds of 15/8, that is nearly 2/1 (which would be 16/8 but they use the lowest common denominators) so using the stake of £10 again, you would get nearly £20 in winnings which provides a return of nearly £30 including the stake.

That means that Barrett is more likely in the bookies eyes to get the job as they will pay out less on him than on Campbell. Someone on 33/1 is a clear outsider and "odds on" is where the number on the right is bigger than the one on the left. Therefore, 1/10 would mean you get £1 back for every £10 you put on giving a total return of £11. Hardly worth it and the punter is risking 10 times more than the bookie.

Clear as mud no doubt... PM me if you need more explanation.

Talking of betting.... Sol Campbell is now the favourite on Skybet. He has come right in from 20/1 at the start of the day to be 6/4 favourite. Barrett just behind him at 13/8.

Easiest way to understand odds is to convert them to a percentage probability.

11/10 means bookies are suggesting there is a 47% chance of Barrett being next manager... If you ignore fact they have margin built in and are guessing somewhat.

Convert fractional odds into probability by adding the two numbers together divided by the second number, then multiply by 100.

In this case of 11/10 the probability it
s 10/21 which is 0.47 and so a 47% chance.

Quite simply, when you see odds expressed as fractions, the number on the left represents the return you get if you place the stake using the number on the right. So in Adams case, for every £10 you put on, you get £11 back. So if you put £10 on, the total return would be £21 (i.e. the winnings of £11 plus your stake).

That's quite close to evens, which is where the 2 numbers are the same.

With the Campbell odds of 15/8, that is nearly 2/1 (which would be 16/8 but they use the lowest common denominators) so using the stake of £10 again, you would get nearly £20 in winnings which provides a return of nearly £30 including the stake.

That means that Barrett is more likely in the bookies eyes to get the job as they will pay out less on him than on Campbell. Someone on 33/1 is a clear outsider and "odds on" is where the number on the right is bigger than the one on the left. Therefore, 1/10 would mean you get £1 back for every £10 you put on giving a total return of £11. Hardly worth it and the punter is risking 10 times more than the bookie.

Clear as mud no doubt... PM me if you need more explanation.

That's why I start clear of betting. But you have explained it well enough for me to get the general gist of it.

As I've mentioned I think in another thread, this market has so little liquidity that a few quid on a candidate will move the odds significantly as the bookies hedge. I don't take it seriously.

Far from being perfect the timing is absolutely terrible.

The last thing we want is someone lurching from the frying pan into the fire. We need someone fresh and energised and can bring positivity and confidence so a manager who has just been forced out elsewhere after struggling is an awful idea.

Plus Harris was a forward. Surely what we need is someone who can organise a defence.

I fear this would have disaster written all over it.
Surely a former forward knows how a defensive unit should work to make it difficult for opponents. I don't get this thing where only ex-defenders can sort out the back line. A professional, qualified manager who has spent most of his (or her) life in the game one way or another should have a good understanding all over the pitch. It's like saying we won't score goals if we have a former defender in charge. Also, a manager has a team of coaches at his disposal.

Talking of betting.... Sol Campbell is now the favourite on Skybet. He has come right in from 20/1 at the start of the day to be 6/4 favourite. Barrett just behind him at 13/8.
That is quite a move and ahead of an expected decision this week I can't help but get a bit excited, truly think sol Campbell would be a great appointment.

That is quite a move and ahead of an expected decision this week I can't help but get a bit excited, truly think sol Campbell would be a great appointment.
Hoping that decision will be made today or Gary Waddock will be in charge for Saturday crucial game

The important thing to remember is that the pyramids, sphinxes and Eiffel towers of Las Vegas were paid for by gamblers.

I think now the Millwall, Sunderland and Barnsley jobs have become available he might reconsider coming us. Shame, I think he would do a good job with us.

I think now the Millwall, Sunderland and Barnsley jobs have become available he might reconsider coming us. Shame, I think he would do a good job with us.

I cant see any of those taking a chance right now on Sol. We would and it would be a good move for him. Bit like Macc, the only way is up with us and expectations are fairly low we are gonna get out of it.

If he does it AGAIN here, then his stock will be massive. If he goes to Sunderland and does terrible, he's pretty much done.

Could be right, although I doubt any of those clubs will be at a stage where they are ready to offer the job to someone and he my take an offer from us rather than wait for something that may never materialise.

As I've mentioned I think in another thread, this market has so little liquidity that a few quid on a candidate will move the odds significantly as the bookies hedge. I don't take it seriously.
It's most likely people on Shrimperzone placing the bets, which effects the odds, so manager xx gets reported on Shrimperzone as more likely, so people on Shrimperzone put money on him, then...etc

I'm struggling to understand this. Between his managerial experience and his well documented outbursts and trail of drama he leaves in his wake, I cannot see this being a great appointment. I am leaning massively towards wanting Barrett at this point (given the candidates we know that are in the mix), but it's not my decision to make and if Campbell gets the nod, I'll definitely get behind him.

1570609455434.png

I'm struggling to understand this. Between his managerial experience and his well documented outbursts and trail of drama he leaves in his wake, I cannot see this being a great appointment. I am leaning massively towards wanting Barrett at this point (given the candidates we know that are in the mix), but it's not my decision to make and if Campbell gets the nod, I'll definitely get behind him.

View attachment 9328

Add in the fact i don't believe he's took the time out to come and watch us play, Larsson has been at games, Tilson has, (Barrett can't) and Campbell was a guest at Nottingham Forest this weekend :Thumbs up:, people can argue things like iFollow but for me you need to show an interest

And don’t forget also the orient job is available to.

Back