• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am also in the "we're not rubbish at contracts position". People make it sound so easy.

Take Jack Payne - at the start of the season he was NOT a first team regular, hadn't found a position, and it was borderline whether he'd make the grade at this level. To have given him a long contract at the start of the season would have been daft. He's come on leaps and bounds - fair play to the lad - but as others have said, his agent will be telling him not to sign a thing after a performance like last night.

Also, take Bentley. He was on a decent contract in terms of length - again he was unlikely to sign another due to ambition and agents advice, and we had the opportunity to cash in last summer which we didn't take. At that point we basically accepted it would go to tribunal so we can't complain now.

If you don't ever want to lose a player, give them all really long contracts - but then you won't be able to offload them if you want to and you'll be stuck with the same team for 5 years.

What Peterborough are good at, which everyone misses - is that they drive the price up with the intention of selling - every time. We're like all the other clubs who are trying NOT to sell as we hope the player will take us onto better things. That's why we don't get the big fees.

I remember the good old days when we signed all of our top players to long contracts on big money. And then had to stop paying them in order to force them to rip the contracts up before they sent the club into administration.

We have to pick and choose the players we want to tie down and be cautious with the contracts that are given out. The impression I got from PB's post-match interview last night was that the reason a contract isn't signed is at Payne's end.

Exactly this. Have we all forgotten what happened when we had successive relegations a few years back?

I agree, why, why why, (Delilah) did we get Mooney on a 2 year contract, surely 2 weeks would have been too long?

I agree, why, why why, (Delilah) did we get Mooney on a 2 year contract, surely 2 weeks would have been too long?

Hunt..Fred second time....Barney second time...Freedman...Harris.....How much has been spent on wages for these plus Mooney?

People like Payne are on peanuts .

seems to me that a sensible thing, if possible, would be to have the option to extend on anyone we think might turn out alright. i guess it might not make sense on the player's end and that's probably a thing.
i would worry that if Payne left he might get shunted out wide whereas with us he's guaranteed to play through the middle and that will make all the difference to him

Seems to me that a sensible thing, if possible, would be to have the option to extend on anyone. I guess it might not make sense on the player's end and that's probably a thing.
I would worry that if Payne left he might get shunted out wide whereas with us he's guaranteed to play through the middle and that will make all the difference to him.

With regard to the first sentence, the contract position can be tilted back towards the player's end if there is a clause that stipulates that the contract will automatically be extended if the player makes a certain number of appearances in a season.

This can have repercussions though - you could for instance play a player early in the season, find he is out of favour and the manager is faced with trying not to play him later on in the season even if hit with injuries and suspensions because the club has decided not to continue with the player for next season.

Hash tag: Youpayyourmoneyyoutakeyourchoice

Your so right. And Posh are so many places above us due to their contract policy!
More absolute ****ing nonsense!

Of course generating income through gates/players or both guarantees nothing. Sheff U have a playing budget 4x ours but hasn't done them any good at all, then you look at Portsmouth, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers etc...

In the end at the moment it would appear we are doing more right than wrong on limited resources.

All the "power" now rests with the Player and their Agent. Both Payne and Bentley were offered new contracts last year but as yet they remain unsigned despite reported negotiations. Even at Premier League level players will let their contracts run down either to increase negotiating power or obtain a better deal elsewhere. It`s the system at fault not the Club.

What players are out of contract at the end of the season (I know about Bentley and Payne)? Apologies if there is already a thread talking about this.

​If I was Jack Payne and you put a contract in front of me, I'd legitimately ask who the manager would be next season and how I fitted into his plans.

​If I was Jack Payne and you put a contract in front of me, I'd legitimately ask who the manager would be next season and how I fitted into his plans.

If I was Jack Payne I'd have enough confidence in my ability to know it doesn't matter who the manager is.

If I was Jack Payne I'd have enough confidence in my ability to know it doesn't matter who the manager is.

This season Jack has been dropped ,benched and omitted from the squad !

If the gaffer doesn't want to play him in every game,then there is a problem which only Jack can decide if he wants to resign here for Phil.

The Bentley situation was handled badly IMO but there was a lot of uncertainty around Payne at the beginning of the season and it's not like we haven't been trying to sign him on a longer contract since he became a regular. Him and his agent hold the power, I think he will sign another contract but on terms that suit him, wouldn't be surprised if he signs a 1 year extension with a big pay rise and a view to a big move next summer.

Back