• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why aren't we taken seriously?

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Southend 1-0 Shrewsbury
Southend maintained their play-off bid courtesy of a Freddy Eastwood goal 12 minutes from the end to earn a narrow 1-0 victory against lowly Shrewsbury.

The Shrews could have snatched the lead after just five minutes but Luke Rodgers fired an easy chance wide.

Southend created two chances in the opening period - Carl Pettefer and Lawrie Dudfield failing to take advantage when teed up by Eastwood.

But in a late snowstorm, Eastwood settled the match with a diving header.

I know it's nice to be underestimated but surely that is ridiculous when we are three goals off being in the automatics?!?!

The BBC also covers Scunthorpe as it's main feature each week, and only covers x 2 other results headlines. I think i've seen the shrimpers headlined on it maybe only once before.

SSSHHH ...As long as we're underestimated until we beat Yeovil to clinch auto promotion

The BBC team-news is always a joke as well, how many games running has it consisted of Husbands & Smith are long-term absentees and won't feature, Griemink has a knee injury and Corbett has resumed training but isn't fit enough to make a return?

It got to the point around Christmas when they kept mentioning about Drewe being on loan that I felt enough was enough & complained, never heard anything back from them though.

I'm not sure if it's the fact that the official site tends to keep our team news until relatively last minute but the Shrewsbury update yesterday had pretty much the same info listed on the BBC as was put up on our official site.

The BBC (particularly 5-Live) have always belittled and ignored us. My classic example is from years ago when we had won at home to go top of Div 4. I was listening with my brother, and I vented about how the radio always avoided mentioning us if they could - "Won't be able to today", he said, "even if they don't include us in the round up they will when they read out the table". Sure enough, they didn't mention us in the round up. On to the tables. "And at the top of the fourth it's.... ummm - Oh! I don't seem to have the fourth division just yet, but I know that Lincoln have gone second, which is all that matters!"

Another classic example - FA Cup third round, Us away at Everton. Radio 5 had summarisers live from every tie involving a Premier$hite club. Except, of course, at Everton.

glare.gif

I remember when we had Southall on loan, and when he'd left to Exeter or something like that they went through every single club he'd played for except for us.
down.gif

I don't think we need to send postcards, as it is plain to see what a complete idiot he is.
Quite how he was in a position to judge the division after one game I don't know!

its not just us its the whole lower leagues in general. last season teams were winning championships or automatic promotion and there was hardly a word about it on 5 live. they preferd to cover big prem games like blackburn v bolton (yawn)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Feb. 23 2005,10:07)]IF we get promoted this year, would everyone care to join me in sending lots of postcards letters to Chris Waddle who had us as favourites for relegation.
That geezer has got too be the next Jimmy Hill with all the rubbish he comes out with.

Lets hope he tips up to go down again next year and we can keep shoving his words down his throat.

PS: I will never forget his penalty against the krauts in the 90 world cup, he definately lost his bottle.

keith alexander too, after we drew with them at the start of the season he said we wouldnt be one of the teams up there at the end of the season !
laugh.gif

Why don't you go onto the BBC's div 3 606 message board and have a good rant on there about the BBC's lack of balanced coverage. Should generate some lively debate with the regulars.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Feb. 23 2005,10:39)]Why don't you go onto the BBC's div 3 606 message board and have a good rant on there about the BBC's lack of balanced coverage. Should generate some lively debate with the regulars.
Took me so much effort registering when I only wanted to make one post, I couldn't be bothered in the end.

Never heard the Chris Waddle point. I'm pretty sure no-one had us top half in any of the predictions for the season I saw. Why don't we then get any publicity?

Macc have done the same. Bastards.

Chris Waddle was on You're on Sky Sports on monday night. I sent an email into the show telling them they must be having trouble finding "experts" or something and reminded Waddle about his prediction of us getting relegated. They didn't read it out though.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Feb. 23 2005,12:22)]I sent an email into the show telling them they must be having trouble finding "experts" or something
Hmm, how odd that Sky didn't read out an e-mail slagging off Sky's choice of pundit...

suspect.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Feb. 23 2005,12:22)]Chris Waddle was on You're on Sky Sports on monday night. I sent an email into the show telling them they must be having trouble finding "experts" or something and reminded Waddle about his prediction of us getting relegated. They didn't read it out though.

sad.gif
Sky tend not to respond to things like that.
Better strategy would have been to email a scintillating Premier$hite question (or about their beloved West Ham) & then once on air bang home the point about how Waddle is clueless & that we've smashed his dodgy predictions to bits.

I'm thinking along the lines of the infamous Saturday Superstore 5Star phone in.......
cool.gif

It was a jokey email so I thought they might read it out. It wasn't a serious dig.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Feb. 23 2005,12:29)]It was a jokey email so I thought they might read it out. It wasn't a serious dig.
You were counting on Sky having a sense of humour, though.

down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 23 2005,12:26)]I'm thinking along the lines of the infamous Saturday Superstore 5-Star phone in.......
cool.gif
Ah... yes, that brings back memories of my childhood. It was along the lines of "why are you lot so f***ing sh*t", or something like that...

In retrospect, it's all so clear now: styaudents. It had to be.

laugh.gif

Back