• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why buy a new car?

Durera

Director
<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>Another thread went all MF - So, (Original Thread) why buy a new car? Would you, and replace it when the warranty runs out, or have a clapped out old banger to save on the readies?

Personally, I&#39;m thankful that just before Mrs Durera gave birth to Ben, we managed to get a new car - it means we can easily change the car (hopefully&#33;) every 3 years for a new one.

I drive a Blue VW New Beetle, and will stay around that price range, I do not think this is flash, but quite sensible - the choice of vehice being comparable to the price of a Ford Focus etc...

PM me if you can quickly put pictures up on the web to link here - it&#39;s worth it to see my last cars last moments....</span>

Oh come on Durera,

There isnt just a choice of

Clapped out banger

New car

What about a car that is a few years old ?

<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>Which is why I didn&#39;t do a (famed) poll....

But why buy a car for 3/4&#39;s of the price of a new one, when the warranty is run out, and you then have to get MOT&#39;s done etc? Getting a new car is like having a permanent lease car in many ways...</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fat Bastid @ Dec. 05 2003,16:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Dec. 05 2003,16:07)]But i ask the question, you can buy a house 4 30k abroad, you can take 2 kids to Uni, you can have a nice retirement fund. Why a bloody care.

Why not spend 1-2k on a half decent car that runs and gets you to A-B than...
FM you are off an running again&#33;

Your theory about retirement is absolute b******s.

Life is very short and you never know when it may end as a friend of mine experienced this week. Three kids, lost his wife after an operation six years ago and lost his own life this week at the age of 45 in a helicopter accident. Three kids orphaned&#33;

You cannot plan for that and a retirement fund is essential but there is no point saving it all for the &quot;R&quot; day. Make sure you will be comfortable and spend happily along the way.

As for a 1-2k car&#33; Not my scene mate as I like my luxurious, prestige posers car&#33;

FB
<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>Says it all really&#33;&#33;&#33;</span>

There is much about having a clapped out old banger which does not recommend itself. I just spent £750 getting mine serviced & MOT'd, which is (to put it bluntly) little short of f**king insane.

However, for a variety of reasons, I'm not yet ready to replace it. I will be this time next year, though...!!

Will I buy a new car then? Fairly unlikely, as it happens. The depreciation value of a new car is horrendous; a second-hand from a dealer which offers a decent warranty is the way to go for me.

By the way, can our resident car-lovers tell me whether there are going to be new emissions regulations coming out next year? I was thinking of going diesel, but have heard whisperings that diesel is being frowned upon by our Eurocrat chums...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 05 2003,16:35)]Will I buy a new car then?  Fairly unlikely, as it happens.  The depreciation value of a new car is horrendous; a second-hand from a dealer which offers a decent warranty is the way to go for me.
Thank You.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 05 2003,16:35)]There is much about having a clapped out old banger which does not recommend itself.  I just spent £750 getting mine serviced & MOT'd, which is (to put it bluntly) little short of f**king insane.

However, for a variety of reasons, I'm not yet ready to replace it.  I will be this time next year, though...!!

Will I buy a new car then?  Fairly unlikely, as it happens.  The depreciation value of a new car is horrendous; a second-hand from a dealer which offers a decent warranty is the way to go for me.

By the way, can our resident car-lovers tell me whether there are going to be new emissions regulations coming out next year?  I was thinking of going diesel, but have heard whisperings that diesel is being frowned upon by our Eurocrat chums...

Matt
I can confirm that MTS's car is pretty cr*p (I wouldn't call it a clapped out banger though) but it is not as cr*p as mine.

I could afford a new car but I choose to drive a cr*p car because it has been super reliable and it prevents me being constantly mobbed by women.

If (as I hope) in the next year I move from working for a struggling vendor of realtime financial data to a nice job at an investment bank I will definately be buying a new car because they are just so much more enjoyable to drive.

Old bangers and cold weather do noy go together at all well I'm afraid. I live in constant fear of an embarassing breakdown at a busy junstion.

Im with Durera on this one. I brought a brand new Citreon Zsara two years ago and wish I done it years ago. Next august, I take it back to the dealership and drive out the door with the latest model and another 12 months tax for nothing. I keep that for 3 years and get free servicing, repairs and breakdown cover. Not bad for £200 a month would you not agree.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 05 2003,16:35)]By the way, can our resident car-lovers tell me whether there are going to be new emissions regulations coming out next year?  
Well, the trend is towards sulphur-free petrol- and diesel is on its way out. The EU already have regulations on emissions regarding trucks, so cars won't be far behind. California already has a very vigorous emissions legislation concerning cars.

However, some governments won't exactly be falling over themselves to implement any such measure. France, I'm talking to you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Dec. 05 2003,16:21)]What about a car that is a few years old ?
Its not the same&#33;
When you buy a new car you get to choose the options it comes with, so it is more personal to you.
There is even a difference between getting and owning a new car.
I have had several company cars, and they were not as enjoyable as the car I have bought

Only reason not to buy a new car is if you can't afford the new purchase price of the car you want. I bought a 3.5 year old car on the basis that I got it for £9,500 instead of £28,000 new. Unlikely to be saving that amount in servicing and MOT's (well I bloody hope not anyway!).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 05 2003,16:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 05 2003,16:35)]By the way, can our resident car-lovers tell me whether there are going to be new emissions regulations coming out next year?  
Well, the trend is towards sulphur-free petrol- and diesel is on its way out.
Not as far as companies go.
It is far cheaper to run a fleet of diesel cars than petrol.
On emmisions, some parts of diesel are better than petrol so it depends on how the emissions are focused.

Bring on hydrogen fuel cell!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Dec. 05 2003,16:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 05 2003,16:35)]Will I buy a new car then?  Fairly unlikely, as it happens.  The depreciation value of a new car is horrendous; a second-hand from a dealer which offers a decent warranty is the way to go for me.
Thank You.
But that's my personal choice, Luke. I'm not saying that my way is better or worse than anyone else's; that just happens to be my personal choice. I certainly do not criticise FB or Durera for their wish to buy new.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 05 2003,17:02)]I certainly do not criticise FB or Durera for their wish to buy new.

Matt
Nor am i.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 05 2003,16:45)]Well, the trend is towards sulphur-free petrol- and diesel is on its way out. The EU already have regulations on emissions regarding trucks, so cars won't be far behind. California already has a very vigorous emissions legislation concerning cars.

However, some governments won't exactly be falling over themselves to implement any such measure. France, I'm talking to you.
This is, of course, one of the great ironies of EC law and policy, and is a good encapsulation of the attitude stereotypically considered to be exhibited within European Member states.

You see, whilst we rail against new Euro legislation, and are thus portrayed as the curmudgeons of the Community, at least we obey those laws which are put into place - in other words, we're stubborn but play fair.

France, on the other hand, pretend warmly to embrace all that the EC proposes, but then when the EC's back is turned promptly ignores the laws that have been passed when it doesn't suit - in other words, arrogant but ill-behaved:

<span style='color:blue'>France heads the league for EU rule breaking. According to latest figures from Brussels, France has the worst record of all European countries for flouting European Union regulations and failing to implement community directives.

In addition to taking counties to the European Court to establish case law in support of its directives, the latest "name and shame" report reveals that the French break more free market agreements than any other EU country and are the slowest to adopt agreed trading legislation.

Of 1,500 internal market infringements under investigation by the European Commission, France heads the list with 224, followed by Italy with 192. The UK has been found guilty of 76.

European Commission figures show that between 1997 and 2000, Brussels brought 474 legal actions against France for breaching regulations. This compares with:
436 against Italy,
407 against Spain, and
289 against Britain.</span>

Still, I'm not looking to buy a Routemaster bus, but instead a fairly high spec, posh car diesel, but one that is pretty new (in, I guess, the £10K range)... which should, hopefully, have been built with low emissions in mind.

Matt

P.S. Isn't there already sulphur-free diesel?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Dec. 05 2003,16:41)]I can confirm that MTS&#39;s car is pretty cr*p (I wouldn&#39;t call it a clapped out banger though) but it is not as cr*p as mine.
I&#39;d agree with that...

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Matt

I was in a position to buy a new car last year but decided to buy a Mercedes that was 4 years old because a) very reliable make , b) didn&#39;t want a car that the large Mcnasty arse felt squashed in, c) I have always wanted a superior German motor .

Ps I didn&#39;t have a spare 45-50 grand for a new one.

FM would fall out of his pram if he know how much I had spent on cars over the past 3 years!

My wife had a new Mini Cooper which we bought in 2002 (52) which she loves and intends to keep, well for now anyway!

Me, since 2001 I have owned two new Freelanders and will take delivery of my 3rd new one before christmas.  Four Freelanders in a row!  I must love them! (My first was an ex-demo car with 6k on the clock)

On top of that I had a 2nd car for a while which was a Westfield (Lotus 7 type) for use on sunny days!

I don't care what anyone says there is something about a new car!  If you can afford to change then do it!

Let's see how FM feels in a few years!

FB

Back