• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cambridge_branch

Youth Team
For me it Stoke on Tuesday night and we won 4 -2 1995/96

I went with my friend Andy who we are still great friends to this day

20/08/94 - Southend United 0-1 Middlesborough.

My dad took me I didn't really pay great interest but my real love didn't start till I got a bit older and my dad started taking me more in the late 90's and I had my first season ticket in 98/99. I also enjoyed being different when it came to talking football at school. Everyone was normally Wet Spam, Man United, Spurs etc... I did used to get fed up of (and it's surprising how many people still ask it now) getting asked who my premiership or real team was.

My dad is a Spurs fan and would take me to White Hart Lane on Saturdays, Then would take me and my friends to Roots Hall on Friday nights........and of course when I was old enough to go on my own I would go to Southend games, leaving my dad and uncle to go to London...

My dad took me when I started to play football. First game was a 1-0 loss to Kingstonian and even though I remember having to stand at the back of the family bit because someone refused to move so we could get to our seats, it was quite an interesting experience.

Wanted to go more often and took several games to see my first win, was actually on my birthday, a 2-0 win with Wayne Gray scoring is what I can remember.

Approx 1970; can remember going with my uncle who gave me a leg-up and we both climbed over the wall into the old South Bank.....can't remember much about the game, believe we won...and have been hooked since :smile:

1990. Final home game of the season. 2-0 win. I think Martin Ling scored. Immediately hooked. Season ticket thereafter.

I was born opposite the Stadium in 1952, I'm told my Dad used to take me to midweek afternoon matches at the Stadium in my pushchair, I remember going to see Southend v Bury at Roots Hall in 1960 when we had relatives staying. There was never any choice of who to support as the whole family were Southend fans, my granddad and Uncle form Kursaal days, my dad, mum and other uncles aunties from Stadium days.

First matches not being taken by family was in 1962/3 watching firstly Southend Boys at Jones Memorial Ground beating Walthamstow 9-1 and then later rounds at Roots Hall by now I wanted the real stuff and as an eleven year old and I went by myself to see Swindon at Roots Hall, as my Dad had stopped going.

My dad took me in 1965 (I think) can't remember the game (or could see very much) hooked ever since.:smile:

My family come from Islington so the family team is Arsenal so I obviously followed suit as a kid.

Then my next door neighour started taking me with his son (my mate) to games at Roots Hall around 1980.

Then when I was old enough to go to games on my own Southend was obviously the local club so went in the late 80's.

1992/93 season, the Anglo-Italian cup game v west ham with a mate from school. Even though we lost 3-0 I was instantly hooked on the 'live match' experience. My first league game was v Barnsley (3-0 win, Collymore 2, Powell) and we went to pretty much every home game that followed, I'll never forget the sheer joy after the Luton game when we escape relegation.

Incidently I would have starting going a few years earlier (I'd been following the Blues on radio since 1990) if it wasn't for my mum and dad, both of who hate football and refused to take me, bloody parents! :'(

1986 ish home to wolves won 1-0 ling with the goal and it all kicked off around the ground with the wolves fans trying to get to us in the west stand. Been hooked ever since

I had just moved to Southend in 1978 and I went to a couple of league/milk/whatever cup matches with a work mate - Bolton finished 0-0 then West Ham (I think) again 0-0... should have taken the hint then :'(

Dad took me. First game was home to Scunthorpe in 1985 and I'm expecting Firestorm to chime in shortly with his memories of the game....

Started going in the late 80s with my best mate, his parents and my Dad would come when he wasn't working. The whole experience was like a ritual. We'd always wear out coats in the car as car heaters were useless back then. Park in Cleveland Drive and then get a programme and a quarter of sweets from the shop in Fairfax Drive (usually bon bons, sometimes lemon sherbets).
We always went in the Paddock and for my first season I paid £2.50 a game. When in the Paddock you could sometimes wait outside the players tunnel which was a good opportunity to get autographs (Paul Merson was probably the best I got pitch side). During the game I was usually mesmerised by the brightness of the floodlights.
The single biggest difference between then and now was the crowds attitude towards the players. They were our heroes and we were all in it together....I never remember any major criticism of the players back then.

Finally, as many home games were on a Friday back then I would usually make it home in time to watch Roseanne :smile:

Can't remember the first time I was taken to a game aged 2/3 in '63 but remember well going on a Friday night in Spring of '68 with my older brothers. Nice sunny evening and Workington seen off 7-0. I think it was Eddy Clayton's debut for us. Once you've been to a game like that (aged 7), well I guess you're smitten for life.

Home v Notts County 1971, we won 1-0

Dad took me - said it was safer than going to West Ham where all my mates went. Dad took along a crate for me to stand on so I could see - now if i stand up everyone behind me needs a crate to stand on to see.:smile:

Started in 1973 (aged 11) by my older sister and was inducted into the North Bank Pak. Started going on my own after a couple of years after she buggered off to Wet Spam with her boyfriend.

Back