• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Why did you start smoking?

chadded

Not striking since 2004
Following on from Hil's giving up smoking thread, it got me thinking, what made people start smoking in the first place? I've tried it, but never, ever seen the attraction, I just don't get it.

I reckon the majority will say peer pressure, your mates smoked so you were expected to follow. When I started about age 13/14 smoking was definitely more in vogue than today, and advertising gave them impression it was sophisticated. It appeared most film and pop stars smoked and I guess we followed the so called trend.

Given that ingesting smoke can't be good for you and smelling like an ash tray is neither attractive or sophisticated it's a wonder why people keep on with the habit.

To look cool.

Yea, but if I see a fittie walking down Southend High Street (rare in the first place I know) and then I see her spark up a fag, I ain't interested.*

So really, I just don't see it as cool.

*If my missus reads this, I'm not interested anyway, I'm just speaking metaphorically.

Never tried it, never even been slightly interested. Just the thought makes me feel sick. Pulling a bird and her clothes, hair etc stinking of stale cigarette smoke is one of the biggest turn offs going.

Because i was drunk
Bollocks. that might make you try a cigarette, but wouldn't start you smoking. I seem to remember it took me about a year and a half of fairly regular smoking to becom addicted.

i'd admit it was all about looking cool.

One thing i dont understand is those who start smoking at 16 upwards - I gave up at 20 after 8 years smoking, and at 16 was fully aware of the dangers, smell and the fact that it looked ridiculous.

It's nice to go to a pub/rock venue and not come out smelling like an old bonfire. The attraction of inhaling smoke from smouldering dead vegetables has never really appealed.

Bollocks. that might make you try a cigarette, but wouldn't start you smoking. I seem to remember it took me about a year and a half of fairly regular smoking to becom addicted.

i'd admit it was all about looking cool.

One thing i dont understand is those who start smoking at 16 upwards - I gave up at 20 after 8 years smoking, and at 16 was fully aware of the dangers, smell and the fact that it looked ridiculous.

Actually I didn't start till 17, and with me it was the going into pubs and clubs and everyone else smoking - so peer pressure in a different way, wanting to fit in.

Had a great weekend in Newquay with mates when I was 21 smoking (ahem) Turkish cigarettes in a hippy B&B where the landlady joined in(!)....came home monday morning getting up at 6am for a dismal job and had the holiday blues so bought some cigs.

Fortunately never really smoked more than 5/6 day (unless I went out on the lash) so when I did give up about 6 years after it was pretty easy.

Yea, but if I see a fittie walking down Southend High Street (rare in the first place I know) and then I see her spark up a fag, I ain't interested.*

*If my missus reads this, I'm not interested anyway, I'm just speaking metaphorically.

Biggest 1-0 of the year

Same here. For me smoking is the number one turn off.

Smoking makes you look cool. Always has done. Always will.

Yeah, well cool with a **** cough and yellow fingers. 'I'm just popping outside into the freezing cold because I'm weak and I'm addicted to catching cancer.' You go and be cool whilst I stay nice and warm. :)

I just sort of started cos my mates did, I didnt touch one till I was 17, gave up three years ago and look back and think WTF was I doing, and giving up was a piece of cake, this is how I done it........I didnt buy any fags...........I wasnt smoking......then when someone offered me one........I said no.......genius

I started smoking at 11.

I was buying some fireworks and the newsagent asked if I wanted some cigarettes to go with them.

Last edited:
Yeah, well cool with a **** cough and yellow fingers. 'I'm just popping outside into the freezing cold because I'm weak and I'm addicted to catching cancer.' You go and be cool whilst I stay nice and warm. :)

Didn't have to pop outside in my day.

Back