• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Key is no better than Barnard. Tubbs, tbh, is no better than Barnard. Neither would fit into the system we play.

Unless we are changing to the 4-4-2 diamond and if Brown wants to get 2 strikers in then it would suggest that.

Unless we are changing to the 4-4-2 diamond and if Brown wants to get 2 strikers in then it would suggest that.

As someone said the other day, in Corr, Barnard & Coulthirst we have pretty much every type of striker that an L2 club could ask for, backed up with a number of kids led by Williams. None are scoring. The issue is, has been and will continue to be the style of play and for all the thread after thread after thread we see on here I just don't believe it is a problem which will be fixed by chucking different strikers into this team and this setup.

The strikers are not going to score many goals in the tactics which we play. We either change those tactics or bring in midfielders and defenders who will get more than the current players in those positions get.

In my opinion.

As someone said the other day, in Corr, Barnard & Coulthirst we have pretty much every type of striker that an L2 club could ask for, backed up with a number of kids led by Williams. None are scoring. The issue is, has been and will continue to be the style of play and for all the thread after thread after thread we see on here I just don't believe it is a problem which will be fixed by chucking different strikers into this team and this setup.

The strikers are not going to score many goals in the tactics which we play. We either change those tactics or bring in midfielders and defenders who will get more than the current players in those positions get.

In my opinion.

I agree that with Corr up front on his own, we have to rely on others (2 wingers and Payne in the hole) to go beyond and get the goals/create chances. The problem has been that Corr has been isolated and no-one has been getting close enough to him to get any knock downs. If we played that with Worrall and Hurst as the wingers with Payne just behind the striker, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get 10 each during a season and it is a shame that Hurst hasn't followed on his form from last season. I know it is hypothetical, but that is probably about 45% of the goals needed for us to gain promotion given our excellent defensive record.

Our main problem has been from set-pieces. We have probably 1 threat in Corr and I'm sure some would even say that is generous. This is the first team in a while that we haven't had a defender who could get amongst the goals.

If we carried on with the 4-4-2 diamond, then we would have someone ready to get in the box being a poacher type and not have to rely to Corr to do both jobs. Then you have the problem of none of our strikers being in form and requiring patience to get them back into goalscoring form. If we had the chance to get someone who had played at our level this season and already got 15 goals, that would be a huge boost to the team psychologically.

Not if they are clever and do their coaching badges or go into scouting/media etc.

If they are clever they do something different.

There's no money in scouting and media or most coaching.

In my opinion.

I know I'm the only one who ever bothers to defend Brown, but he clearly realises this as he tried to bring in O'Toole and everyone hated that move.

Do they? For 40/50/60 years?

Vastly more players than League 1/2/conference clubs, and the media aren't going to be interested in some league 2 clogger. Many of them have no transferrable skills/qualifications so unless they've been smart and invested (rather than blow it down the local titty bar), the life of an ex-footballer (our level) I'd imagine is not that rosy.

Interestingly enough this is a conversation I had with John White at the sponsors dinner at the end of last season. The PFA offer great support retraining players and finding them careers after football, John himself doesn't want to stay in football and is using the PFA to help him retrain as a train driver! There are more coaching based jobs availabe than you might think too with community coaching places that branch out into social work. I must say John came across as a guy who has his head well and truly screwed on.

So we should sign a player who has scored 2 goals all season and the same amount Corr did last year?

Boy we missed a trick there...

In my opinion.

We are changing tactics though, we moved from 451 to 4411 and last time used 442 diamond.

Maybe that will lead to more opportunities for the front men ? Didnt seem to make much difference against Northampton, although we did have plenty of shots at least, but time will tell.

Palace have released Andy Johnson .... would love to see that Burger eating goal celebration in a Southend shirt !

( with or without onions ? )

Andy Johnson talking to Luton - so would be prepared to drop down to League 2!!

He came through the luton youth set up so it would make sense. I think he'd command a decent salary and would want a longish contract to drop down, he would be a risk IMO not having played for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if he were a success at this level but I'm not sure I'd want to risk a 3 yr contact on it

Yes but then they retire with a lovely pension.

I'm sorry but that is simply wrong. In fact it's possibly the most inaccurate post you have ever written, and believe me that's saying something. Do a few minutes research on pension contributions and it will be Crystal clear

I'm sorry but that is simply wrong. In fact it's possibly the most inaccurate post you have ever written, and believe me that's saying something. Do a few minutes research on pension contributions and it will be Crystal clear

If they listen to the PFA and make their hefty pension cons they end up with a nice pension.

If they listen to the PFA and make their hefty pension cons they end up with a nice pension.
The scheme changed massively in 2006 and again in 2011. Yes compared to most private sector pension schemes the pda scheme for league players is very generous. But to suggest that you could retires is simply inaccurate .. granted the earlier scheme is excellent, but it would subsidize an income not be the full provider, and would not apply to most of our squad

Not a league 2 footballer, earning an average of about £1.5k a week (which is being generous). I’d be shocked if they could contribute enough to give them a pension at 35 that would pay a liveable amount for the rest of their lives. Can a pension expert put this to bed? Isn’t DTS clued up on this stuff?

The scheme changed massively in 2006 and again in 2011. Yes compared to most private sector pension schemes the pda scheme for league players is very generous. But to suggest that you could retires is simply inaccurate .. granted the earlier scheme is excellent, but it would subsidize an income not be the full provider, and would not apply to most of our squad

I know a player who retired at 29(due to injury)he received his insurance pay out of around 30k and his pension pays 3k per month nett,he currently lives in Spain with his wife and kids and had a beautiful lifestyle.

Not bad for a league 2/conference player.

I know a player who retired at 29(due to injury)he received his insurance pay out of around 30k and his pension pays 3k per month nett,he currently lives in Spain with his wife and kids and had a beautiful lifestyle.

Not bad for a league 2/conference player.

Thats 1 player ... I know quite a few players, thatthat have retired because of age and not injury and they have to have a second career because they cannot afford to live off a pension. Are you sure that his pay out etc is not related to his Insurance Pay out, because as other people say, players in lower leagues, on £1,500 a week for say 5 years of their career, cannot, without doubt have enough in a pension pot to live like you explain in your message above.

Thats 1 player ... I know quite a few players, thatthat have retired because of age and not injury and they have to have a second career because they cannot afford to live off a pension. Are you sure that his pay out etc is not related to his Insurance Pay out, because as other people say, players in lower leagues, on £1,500 a week for say 5 years of their career, cannot, without doubt have enough in a pension pot to live like you explain in your message above.

Not sure if his pay out included monthly benefits too so you may be correct?

Back