• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
http://theseventytwo.com/football-league/league-2/2011/03/23/a-supporter-writes-iain-macintosh/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It's been so long since I've posted, I think there's a danger that Cricko will move this to 'Ex-Shrimpers', but I thought I'd whack this over here in case anyone was bored and fancied a read. I was asked by The 72 Football to do a piece on Southend and why I supported them. These days, given my location, it guess it's why I used to support them sadly. I still lurk on here to keep in touch, but it's harder and harder these days, especially with a Mini Slipperduke on the way.

Anyway, Southend will always be my team. And here's why.

You think it's tough trying to follow the Shrimpers with a mini-duke on the way? Wait until it arrives! :stunned:

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that. I would recommend that this piece be read carefully by those in the north of the county but, judging by the attendance at the Airfix last night, they're all on holiday at the moment.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that. I would recommend that this piece be read carefully by those in the north of the county but, judging by the attendance at the Airfix last night, they're all on holiday at the moment.

Or it's lambing season, and the want to be present when their brother/sister/aunt/uncle or cousin is born.

In a word, Brilliant!

Brought back so many memories of my early football matches. Unfortunately for me, they did not involve Southend!

Thanks chaps. I actually tried to post on the Littlejohn thread, but a connection timeout robbed me of 300 words of invective and I can't bring myself to write it all again. I'll be back.

PS - The original version of this had some very rude gags that were unfortunately removed. Curses.

Thanks chaps. I actually tried to post on the Littlejohn thread, but a connection timeout robbed me of 300 words of invective and I can't bring myself to write it all again. I'll be back.

PS - The original version of this had some very rude gags that were unfortunately removed. Curses.

I posted the link up on the works Intranet and a few people already follow you on Twitter. I've shook the hand of a celeb..... Slipper for I'm A Celebrity 2012....

Brilliant, I want to show all my West Ham/Spurs/United etc supporting mates but I doubt it will stir them as much as it did with me. Sadly they don't and never will understand what support a club like Southend is all about.

Fantastic.

My first game was Swansea Town (as they were then) in 1969 and I'll always remember the hundreds of matches being lit by the smokers in the West Bank (I was in the East) against the black back drop of a Friday night game. Then the sound of the Salvation Army band being punctuated by the strains of "You're gonna get you f****** heads kicked in" emanating from the North Bank.

What a night and we won 4-0 thanks to a Gary Moore hat trick.

What a Shrimper.

Newport County,September 1967,2-2 Draw was my first game.I'll never forget the North Bank goal net covered in toilet roll or the bodies coming over the wall at the back of the South Bank.
Roots Hall must have been one of the easiest grounds to bunk into. In the days before stewards loads of people must have climbed over the South Bank wall or the wall near the old toilets in the North West corner. Not to mention the 'dodgy' gate men who let people bunk in over the turnstile for maybe half the official price, the turnstile operators would then pocket the money.

Back