• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why do we have to spend money to be successful ???

weststander

Manager
I am getting a little concerned about all these people that want us to 'splash the cash' this summer. I'm not really bothered that we havent and have just taken a look at the last successful squad we had and what they cost us.......

Flahaven - Free
Jupp - Free
Wilson - Free
Prior - Free
Hunt - Free
Barrett - Free
Maher - Free
Gray - Free
Eastwood - Nominal
Bentley - Free
Cole - Free
Lawson - Free
Guttridge -Free
Gower - £25k
Pettefer - Free
Griemink - Free
Goater - Free
Bradbury - Free

(All fees according to Soccerbase so may not be completely correct)

This was the squad that we won this league with (give or take a couple of players i may have forgotten) and what did it cost practically nothing !!!! Tilly and Brush are masters at the free transfer we just need to give them time to find the right players that WANT to play for Southend United and not for money.......

So lets all stop demanding that we Spend BIG money, yes we are still a small club and £50k is not exactly petty cash for us. Lets wait and see who Tilly and Brush get in, be it free, for a fee or on loan....... I have the confidence we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Most of the players listed (with a couple of obvious exceptions) are not of a calibre to make a serious impression on this year's League One promotion slots.

Most of the players listed (with a couple of obvious exceptions) are not of a calibre to make a serious impression on this year's League One promotion slots.

I think if we're all honest, we thought at the time that the squad wasnt good enough to win the league, it amazing what a bit of team spirit and a sgood work ethic can have for a squad.

Flahaven - Free
Barrett - Free
Eastwood - Nominal
Guttridge -Free
Gower - £25k

Those are the only players who would make the current match day 18... I've omitted Prior and Goater, as they were here for one last forray. Eastwood was a once in a lifetime player, Guttridge wasn't for free, Gower progressed massively with us and Barrett wouldn't be the player he is if he wasn't wearing a Southend shirt.

there is a pool of players available for hire - the best ones get snapped up (- Theo -) and by the end of august you can have your pick of whats left for not very much ....

Well they won this league, for goodness sake.

The point here is that signing big money players is no substitute for signing the right players. We get the right couple of free transfers now and with a small squad with a good team spirit we might not be too far away.

The point i am trying to make is that we had a squad that cost peanuts, why do we have to shell out £275k here and £50k there when i'm sure that the same calibre players (and i'm talking about todays standards) that got us out of this league last time must surely be around this time ??

The point i am trying to make is that we had a squad that cost peanuts, why do we have to shell out £275k here and £50k there when i'm sure that the same calibre players (and i'm talking about todays standards) that got us out of this league last time must surely be around this time ??

I think that's a fair point, it's not about how much you spend - God knows we've seen that in recent years - but how the mix you have work together. And that's down to training ground discipline and hard work.

I am getting a little concerned about all these people that want us to 'splash the cash' this summer. I'm not really bothered that we havent and have just taken a look at the last successful squad we had and what they cost us.......

Flahaven - Free
Jupp - Free
Wilson - Free
Prior - Free
Hunt - Free
Barrett - Free
Maher - Free
Gray - Free
Eastwood - Nominal
Bentley - Free
Cole - Free
Lawson - Free
Guttridge -Free
Gower - £25k
Pettefer - Free
Griemink - Free
Goater - Free
Bradbury - Free

(All fees according to Soccerbase so may not be completely correct)

This was the squad that we won this league with (give or take a couple of players i may have forgotten) and what did it cost practically nothing !!!! Tilly and Brush are masters at the free transfer we just need to give them time to find the right players that WANT to play for Southend United and not for money.......

So lets all stop demanding that we Spend BIG money, yes we are still a small club and £50k is not exactly petty cash for us. Lets wait and see who Tilly and Brush get in, be it free, for a fee or on loan....... I have the confidence we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.
Signed Mr Ronald Martin :)

I think it is a fair point to be honest. I still stand by the idea that if you have got a striker who can score 20+ goals a season, you are half way to promotion. And depending on how savvy you are, they do not necessarily have to cost the earth.

All those players bar a couple were signed in LEague 2 where we were one of the bigger clubs and most attractive, certainly in the South of England. In this league there are a lot of southern clubs with bigger budgets who are snapping up a lot of the better free transfers.

Every year there is a team promoted that hasn't spent much on players - at this level you do not (and shouldn't) have to spend much.

All those players bar a couple were signed in LEague 2 where we were one of the bigger clubs and most attractive, certainly in the South of England. In this league there are a lot of southern clubs with bigger budgets who are snapping up a lot of the better free transfers.

Correct me if i'm wrong didnt we almost get relegated the season before and had money problems ??? If i was a player, i wouldnt be too attracted to a club like that.

Back