• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Why don't you go away?

What puts you off travelling to away games?

• Away games are just too expensive.

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Until we get better performances on the pitch I'm not inclined to go away

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Family takes priority at the moment

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • I just can't spare the time.

Votes: 19 22.9%

• Total voters

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Just a general question if historically you've gone to away games but rarely go away these days, why?

Frankly I went to Brentford last night and I have a season ticket to Liverpool Street but still had little change out of £40 after tube fares, food, drinks and admission, If I was to go to Stockport if would cost me about £60 to £70. £100 to £110 in a week for away games is a lot for anyone.

I dread to think what it would cost for families, so is it just finance that stops you going, general apathy about performances, family responsibilities or what?

For me £20 plus admission is the "killer" you can usually find cheap travel with lifts etc, food and drink you can spend as much or as little as you like, but you stuck with the score to get in.

DoDtS

Last edited:
Cost me the best part of £40 too, £20 for a terrace was a little high for my liking. Only reason I'm going atm is cos I'd rather not be at home!

My lad is now 9 so he virtually doubles what i spend on an away trip (especially the booze) .. the fact that i've been to every ground we are scheduled to visit this season is another excuse not to go .. i'll make an exception for The Ooze and Col Ewe and the FA Cup as these are special games

I think i'm getting old and apathetic towards travelling miles now too

with a baby on the way (as well as my twelve year old son) something had to give in terms of spending and the expense of going to away games and spending money that could bu used for baby essentials just wasnt justifiable, will try and squeeze a couple in later in the season

would be good if this was multiple choice... it's a mixture of cost and time. If i was in Southend it would be much easier with more people to go with, however I'm stuck oop north and a lot of the time would be travelling and going on my jack

Someone also said last night that away games were for single people. To a certain extent I think thats true.

I also think it sad that general enthusiasm is being stopped by being priced out.

DoDtS

I thought this was going to be a thread full of personal attacks on Wiggy & TtK (maybe with a few nods to the "much missed" Spartan) :p

Use to go home and away every week from the David webb years to the end of Alvin Martin years before it got too expensive.
I can remember getting paralytic in the Shoebury Hotel before getting the coach to Wycombe for a mid week game (circa 1997) and then telling everybody to shut up after the 1 minutes silence for Princess Di as I had a hangover. All that for around £30. These days its too expensive even spliting the petrol costs

They don't let me smoke weed in away ends anymore, so it seems pointless making the trip...

Kind Regards

Come to Spain. I was at Atlético Madrid last week and the four blokes in front of me were right off their tits on weed. When Atlético conceded a late equaliser they just asked if anyone had any Pringles.

These days mostly money it is always £100 for an away day it seems.

Time is the big one. I work away a couple of days a week now and am reluctant to spend all day Saturday away from the lovely Mrs W.

Also as, Blueblood alludes to, it's fun going to new places. I too have been to a lot of the grounds in this division and although I'll still go to the really local ones, the idea of 'doing' Northampton or Bristol Rovers again doesn't fill me with keen anticipation.

Regular away games are for youths, getting there as cheaply as possible,.... and for the 'more mature' who sensibly had kids young and are on the brink of binning them off to the big wide world..

done every game home&away for last 3years with my wife and son.i never wanted to know how much i spent over the years.but this year shes decided to keep a running total of how much we spend on away games.its already over £700 with 3 away games this week its going up fast.

Regular away games are for youths, getting there as cheaply as possible,.... and for the 'more mature' who sensibly had kids young and are on the brink of binning them off to the big wide world..

This is true.

Little Ron has started footy on a Sat morning now so that buggers up away days there.
I have to be up for work @0430 so that rules out midweekers as well.

Roll on X-mas when we have the scum away and i've got a few days orf.

Back