• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I still think there's a distinction that has to be made between recreational drugs and addictive ones.

Yes heroin is bad, but hey so it's alcohol and nicotene.

Only one of which is classed as illegal. The difference is responsible and controlled use and the dependant use, which quite often arises as a natural progression from being "in control" initially.

Only one of which is classed as illegal. The difference is responsible and controlled use and the dependant use, which quite often arises as a natural progression from being "in control" initially.

They're all drugs! I knew of a man who used to rob his work colleagues to buy his booze. The line of illegal/legal is irrelevant.

Legalise the lot and tax it. Prohibition will never, ever solve the problem.

Still, you're not separating recreational drug users from addicts. The difference, at least in appetite for burgling old grannies, is quite marked.

Jonny, he started out as a recreational drug user years ago, and the rest, as they say is history. This will be his fourth time in prison, all for drug related offences. You cant help someone who wont help themselves.

They're all drugs! I knew of a man who used to rob his work colleagues to buy his booze. The line of illegal/legal is irrelevant.

Legalise the lot and tax it. Prohibition will never, ever solve the problem.

But still only one is illegal and as far as I know, dependancy on the others doesn't cause quite the same urge to do damage to get the money for your next fix. You might hear "I'd kill for a drink/fag" but in probably 95% of cases they don't mean that literally, with a heroin addict that's a considerably lower percentage. While equally as harmful to individuals, the others don't mess with the mind as much.

Jonny, he started out as a recreational drug user years ago, and the rest, as they say is history. This will be his fourth time in prison, all for drug related offences. You cant help someone who wont help themselves.

My b-i-l recently lost his job when he got pulled over by the police in a works van as he was driving so erratically. He'd been sold a duff batch of heroin mixed with sleeping tablets. It's a miracle he didn't kill himself or anyone else at the time, he started as a recreational user of marijuana.

But still only one is illegal and as far as I know, dependancy on the others doesn't cause quite the same urge to do damage to get the money for your next fix. You might hear "I'd kill for a drink/fag" but in probably 95% of cases they don't mean that literally, with a heroin addict that's a considerably lower percentage. While equally as harmful to individuals, the others don't mess with the mind as much.

How many women (or even men come to that) will be faced with a p*ssed up partner who will beat them senseless because they've had a skinful of that legal drug? How many people will be killed tonight by drunk drivers?

I'm not defending junkies in any shape of form - people who rob old women deserve to locked up for a long time with some hardcore scumbags, but I always find it odd that people consider the fact that one drug is legal and is heavily advertised, that it must be ok, when it does far more damage than all the others put together.

While equally as harmful to individuals, the others don't mess with the mind as much.

Try scrumpy.....;)

I do agree with MK tho. Alcohol abuse esp in the yoofies (like me) has got much worse especially in recent years.

Anyway, back to my pint....its the stress I tell ya...:unsure:

How many women (or even men come to that) will be faced with a p*ssed up partner who will beat them senseless because they've had a skinful of that legal drug? How many people will be killed tonight by drunk drivers?

I'm not defending junkies in any shape of form - people who rob old women deserve to locked up for a long time with some hardcore scumbags, but I always find it odd that people consider the fact that one drug is legal and is heavily advertised, that it must be ok, when it does far more damage than all the others put together.

Of course I agree with you there, I just don't agree at all with a thread with the title "Why drugs are good"! But on the other hand, how many people are forced into prostitution because of their drug dependancy? As with all things these days, it's things being taken to excess.

Of course I agree with you there, I just don't agree at all with a thread with the title "Why drugs are good"! But on the other hand, how many people are forced into prostitution because of their drug dependancy? As with all things these days, it's things being taken to excess.

Kay, we try to have a sensible debate about a serious subject yet the previous 3 posts deride it, they probably think it's lighthearted but i find those sort of comments pathetic. If anyone wants to discuss this topic in more detail with me then i'll be in the Spread before and after the game tomorrow (probably be standing outside) and i'll be wearing a blue harrington and black jeans, 6ft tall with short dark hair. (Harry knows me well but has'nt seen me for 30 years!)

Drugs are dangerous. Watching Traffic cops earlier, some foreigners pegged it out right in front of the motorway not once but twice. You don't do that in your normal mind, it's just ridiculous.

Drugs are dangerous. Watching Traffic cops earlier, some foreigners pegged it out right in front of the motorway not once but twice. You don't do that in your normal mind, it's just ridiculous.

Not actually true , kids tend to have played chicken on motorways since i was younger and beyound. Like any substance its down to the level you use it . Remember heroin , opium and Coccaine were legal recreation substances used by the well todo untill their being made illegal in the 1920's (why do you think Sherlock Holmes was written with a coke habit ;) ) Hallucinogens are part of certain relgions (Pot is a sacrament of rastafernism, Pyotie is from South American Shamanism) however it is learnt how much you take and under controlled circumstances The books of Tim Leary and Robert Anton Wilson are propably your best (not Howard Marks !)

I would like to know what people think is the main driver of violence on the streets,

is it that alcohol has become so cheap in comparision to the standard cost of living?

Is it that Cocaine is also cheaper then it ever was so is not restricted to the middle classes?

Or is it a powerful combination of both being abused that has caused the violence on most weekends to escalate?

I am interested what SZ opinions are on this.

In some ways I am so glad that my main years of being out on the town was when Ecstasy was at it's most prevalent. As violence was the last thing to be on the agenda.

I would like to know what people think is the main driver of violence on the streets,

is it that alcohol has become so cheap in comparision to the standard cost of living?

Is it that Cocaine is also cheaper then it ever was so is not restricted to the middle classes?

Or is it a powerful combination of both being abused that has caused the violence on most weekends to escalate?

I am interested what SZ opinions are on this.

In some ways I am so glad that my main years of being out on the town was when Ecstasy was at it's most prevalent. As violence was the last thing to be on the agenda.

To me it's greed pure and simple. People want to have more, drink more and take more therefore the consequences are more easily identified in violence and other crime, and too often there are no consequences to their actions so there is no deterent.

As to prostitution, and I'll not rise to the bait, I was thinking particularly of those murdered girls in Ipswich and thinking how frequently a murdered prostitute has been said to be a drug user. We have a toothless police force as a result of too much bureacracy, and an ineffective judicial service allowing too many miscreants to get away scott free. That's the way I see it anyway.

Last edited:

The Government crackdown on E has spectacularly backfired IMO. The whole Leah Betts tragedy gave them carte blanche to demonise a drug which actually is far safer than alcohol and the aftermath of it's use causes a lot less bother to the emergency services

Of course the main political parties wouldn't have been worried about the loss of income to the powerful brewing and distilling companies would they?

And Leah Betts died not of the drug she took but because she was uneducated in how to deal with it - she drowned by drinking too much water.

Back