• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

why i believe that an untargeted slashing of the welfare budget is a false economy.

My son was advised at the Job Centre last week, not to put anything on your CV that relates to your age. No date of birth and just a mention of your qualifications, not when they were obtained.

Trouble is you have to go for an interview which sort of gives the game away unless you arrive on a skateboard, dress like Justin Beiber, and say "Dude" a lot.

Here are the maximum weekly benefit payments for each of these categories

Single person 18 -35 - JSA 21-25 £56.25 JSA 25+ £71 - Housing benefit - £68.08 - Council tax benefit - 21-35 are likely to be living in a shared house so liabilty will be nil or shared between the residents. I'll use a maximum figure of £12.50 = £592.93-£656.85/month

Single person 35+ - JSA £71 - Housing benefit £114.23 - Council tax benefit £23.22 (based on band E property) = £903.28/month

Singe person, one child - Income support/JSA £71 - Housing benefit £146.54 - Council tax benefit £27.44(based on band F) - child benefit £20.30 - child tax credits £62.09 = £1418.60/month

Couple one child - JSA £111.45 - Housing benefit £146.54 - Council tax benefit £36.59 (based on band F) - child benefit £20.30 - child tax credits £62.09 =£1633.52/month

Couple 6 children - JSA £111.45 - Housing benefit £229.62 - Council tax benefit £42.22 (based on band G) - child benefit £87.30 - child tax credits £320.04 = £3426.06/month

What are peoples thoughts?

Last edited:
The last one is quite frankly ****ing disgusting.No wonder these idiots breed for a living.

Have to say AL, it's too much. Couple & one child is not much less than me & Mrs MK earn, and fairly close when you factor in child care.

The last one is a disgrace thankfully one of the good elements of the benefit reforms the 'benefit cap' will finally disincentivse the baby factory. The difficulty is dealing with the existing cases where children are going to suffer for the gross irresponsibilty of the parent.

MK do you receive any child benefit or tax credits? If so you have to factor this in. Also remeber that these figures are maximum figures. People in council housing will have much lower housing benefit awards.

edit - I have altered single parent one child as I forgot to deduct single persons discount for council tax benefit

The last one is a disgrace thankfully one of the good elements of the benefit reforms the 'benefit cap' will finally disincentivse the baby factory. The difficulty is dealing with the existing cases where children are going to suffer for the gross irresponsibilty of the parent.

MK do you receive any child benefit or tax credits? If so you have to factor this in. Also remeber that these figures are maximum figures. People in council housing will have much lower housing benefit awards.

Yeah but not a lot - about £120 a month.

That last figure is quite frankly obscene. What the scenarios there don't cover is the fact that a lot of those unemployed may still be living at home and when they live at home, where a wage is coming in, you basically get Jack **** by way of any benefits except JSA.

Child Tax credits, in my opinion, should be for the first 2 children only. Feckless fathers need to be made to pay for their children, not the state.

My son was advised at the Job Centre last week, not to put anything on your CV that relates to your age. No date of birth and just a mention of your qualifications, not when they were obtained.

Even that is too much information.

Instead of a traditional CV I send employers a small card with my silhouette on (similar to those used by the Milk Tray man) and my mobile number on the back.

The more you reveal about yourself the more likely it is that an employer will find something they don't like about you.

Instead of a traditional CV I send employers a small card with my silhouette on (similar to those used by the Milk Tray man) and my mobile number on the back.

The more you reveal about yourself the more likely it is that an employer will find something they don't like about you.

:hilarious::hilarious:

Software developer with a licence to kill

Interestingly,video cv's (which I used to record on my Presentation Skills course at the UAB) have rather fallen out of favour, in the US at least, because of the stringent race/sex discrimination laws there.

What does it look like if you add essential expenditure?

Single person 18 -35 - JSA 18-25 £56.25 JSA 25+ £71 - Housing benefit - £68.08 - Council tax benefit - 21-35 are likely to be living in a shared house so liabilty will be nil or shared between the residents. I'll use a maximum figure of £12.50 = £592.93-£656.85/month

£592.93-£656.85 - minus rent (£295), council tax (£54.17), water (£15), electricity (£10), gas (£10), housekeeping (£170)
Expendable income = 18-25 £48.76 25+ £112.68

Single person 35+ - JSA £71 - Housing benefit £114.23 - Council tax benefit £23.22 (based on band E property) = £903.28/month

£903.28 minus rent (£495), council tax benefit (£100.62), water (£44), gas (£44), electricity (£44), housekeeping (£170)
Expendable income = £5.66

Singe person, one child - Income support/JSA £71 - Housing benefit £146.54 - Council tax benefit £27.44(based on band F) -child benefit £20.30 - child tax credits £62.09 = £1418.60/month

£1418.60 minus rent (£635), council tax (£119), water (£50), gas (£65), electricity (£65) housekeeping (£347)
Expendable income £137.60

Couple one child - JSA £111.45 - Housing benefit £146.54 - Council tax benefit £36.59 (based on band F) - child benefit £20.30 - child tax credits £62.09 =£1633.52/month

1633.52 minus rent (£635), council tax (£158.56), water (£65), electricty (£65), gas (£65), housekeeping (£433)
Expendable income £211.96

Couple 6 children - JSA £111.45 - Housing benefit £229.62 - Council tax benefit £42.22 (based on band G) - child benefit £87.30 - child tax credits £320.04 = £3426.06/month

£3426 minus rent £1000, council tax £182.95, water £65, electricty £108, gas £108, house keeping £750
Expendable income - £1212.05

there have to be incentives to work and believe me there is a small percentage of people in this country who have never worked, have no intention of working and now they have produced children can never work because they cannot possibly earn because of their lack of skills anything like the amount they get in benefits. It is difficult to turn this particular tanker heading for the rocks around but at least this govt is trying. You can add to this the cost of their prescriptions for their antidepressants and the fact they are producing another generation of people with the same values they have.

there have to be incentives to work and believe me there is a small percentage of people in this country who have never worked, have no intention of working and now they have produced children can never work because they cannot possibly earn because of their lack of skills anything like the amount they get in benefits. It is difficult to turn this particular tanker heading for the rocks around but at least this govt is trying. You can add to this the cost of their prescriptions for their antidepressants and the fact they are producing another generation of people with the same values they have.

Let's go back to the Poor Laws,eh? Workhouses should never have been abolished really.:nope:

Beveridge must be turning in his grave.:stunned:

Barna you really are a plum. Do you know that. So we just continue to insult people who work their butts off on a low wage to continue to subsidise lazy *******s. Brilliant.

Barna you really are a plum. Do you know that. So we just continue to insult people who work their butts off on a low wage to continue to subsidise lazy *******s. Brilliant.

What about those people genuinely looking for work,their children or dependents,those with disabilities,medical conditions, etc?

Should we just cut off their benefits too?

Some of the parents may be shiftless but why should children suffer because of this?

If benefits are to be cut then the government should look hard at state pensions, winter fuel allowances etc. There are huge numbers of very comfortably off old people who simply don't need state benefits and the money should be diverted to those who need it.

Interestingly,video cv's (which I used to record on my Presentation Skills course at the UAB) have rather fallen out of favour, in the US at least, because of the stringent race/sex discrimination laws there.

Apart from prospective Big Brother contestants what sort of knobend would send a video CV?

I have little doubt that doctors who are signing people on to sick benefit and the staff at Job Centres know almost 100% who is taking the p**s out of the system and who isn't; and I'm sure that they still just sign the forms and let it continue.
AND their high paid jobsworth managers just bean count and don't change the culture to a more useful system where those who need and deserve it get the help and those that abuse the system get rejected.

"On social security, following George Osborne's legislation to hold down benefits below the rate of inflation, voters are slightly more forgiving: by 50%-35% they believe workless claimants are mostly "unlucky rather than lazy". But amongst the very youngest voters, there is a 48%-47% tendency to regard claimants as lazy rather than unlucky".

So, the majority of mature voters would appear to believe that unemployed benefits claimants, are for the most part "unlucky rather than lazy."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/11/tory-right-labour-guardian-icm-poll

Last edited:
Back