• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jai

President ⭐
The Echo want me to write 1,000 words on why I enjoyed my day at Wembley. I agreed to do it in advance, but it's going to be tough. I was so disappointed by yesterday and I think the reason for that was it confirmed to me a lot of things that have been in the back of my mind for a while but I didn't want to admit it to myself.

The thing is, I have a lurking feeling this club has no shame. Whether you agree or disagree with Sturrock's sacking, to do it two weeks before the cup final he got us to was ruthless to the point of cruel. Showed him absolutely no respect. Whether you rated him or not, this club was on its knees when he took over, after another fine manager had been completely shafted for a year and maybe more. People say there's no sentiment in football, and it seems they are right. Shame.

We allowed a player that stuck two fingers up at our club six months ago, to play a pivotal role in an unfamiliar position in one of the biggest games in our history, completely nullifying the considerable abilities of Tamika Mkandawire who spent most of the game yesterday trying to work out if he was coming or going. In playing Mohsni and certain others, we have overlooked some of the players that literally put their bodies on the line in order, putting back their recovery to get us to Wembley in the first place. Mark Phillips had 8 injections in his toe to get through the Orient game. Not even a minute at Wembley.

We don't pay our staff on time, our name is mud in the local business community, we treat people like absolute ****. That Rossi ice cream Bluesberry stuff. Look at Brian Wheeler's face. That man used to love this club. He's smiling but his eye's aren't.

The chairman, in sacking the manager, puts out a statement that, if a nine-year-old had put it out in his English book, a teacher would have written "See me" in the margin. He refused to let anyone change it. He is a property developer that does not develop property. What the **** was that shareholder rubbish all about? How much have the Shrimpers Trust loaned him over the years? He listens to the vocal minority and makes a knee-jerk decision to get rid of a manager on the back of three admittedly terrible home performances when we've had a queue outside the physio's room for three months. In replacing him, he brings in a man that's never managed at League Two level and with a far inferior CV. I hope to be proved wrong on Brown, but I'm concerned.

It's not one thing, it's not one game, it's not a couple of individual errors which all football fans at this level can forgive. It's the big picture. I'll be at Aldershot, I'll be at York and I'll probably be at the last home game of the season. But I've had a good job offer, working with football publishing, which could, if I wanted it to, take up a lot of my Saturdays next season. I'd never have even considered it a few years ago. But now, I'm not so sure.

I enjoyed the game yesterday. I met one of my all time heroes, and my family had a great day out. I'd be happy to splurge 1,000 words on that. :winking:

The Echo want me to write 1,000 words on why I enjoyed my day at Wembley. I agreed to do it in advance, but it's going to be tough. I was so disappointed by yesterday and I think the reason for that was it confirmed to me a lot of things that have been in the back of my mind for a while but I didn't want to admit it to myself.

The thing is, I have a lurking feeling this club has no shame. Whether you agree or disagree with Sturrock's sacking, to do it two weeks before the cup final he got us to was ruthless to the point of cruel. Showed him absolutely no respect. Whether you rated him or not, this club was on its knees when he took over, after another fine manager had been completely shafted for a year and maybe more. People say there's no sentiment in football, and it seems they are right. Shame.

We allowed a player that stuck two fingers up at our club six months ago, to play a pivotal role in an unfamiliar position in one of the biggest games in our history, completely nullifying the considerable abilities of Tamika Mkandawire who spent most of the game yesterday trying to work out if he was coming or going. In playing Mohsni and certain others, we have overlooked some of the players that literally put their bodies on the line in order, putting back their recovery to get us to Wembley in the first place. Mark Phillips had 8 injections in his toe to get through the Orient game. Not even a minute at Wembley.

We don't pay our staff on time, our name is mud in the local business community, we treat people like absolute ****. That Rossi ice cream Bluesberry stuff. Look at Brian Wheeler's face. That man used to love this club. He's smiling but his eye's aren't.

The chairman, in sacking the manager, puts out a statement that, if a nine-year-old had put it out in his English book, a teacher would have written "See me" in the margin. He refused to let anyone change it. He is a property developer that does not develop property. What the **** was that shareholder rubbish all about? How much have the Shrimpers Trust loaned him over the years? He listens to the vocal minority and makes a knee-jerk decision to get rid of a manager on the back of three admittedly terrible home performances when we've had a queue outside the physio's room for three months. In replacing him, he brings in a man that's never managed at League Two level and with a far inferior CV. I hope to be proved wrong on Brown, but I'm concerned.

It's not one thing, it's not one game, it's not a couple of individual errors which all football fans at this level can forgive. It's the big picture. I'll be at Aldershot, I'll be at York and I'll probably be at the last home game of the season. But I've had a good job offer, working with football publishing, which could, if I wanted it to, take up a lot of my Saturdays next season. I'd never have even considered it a few years ago. But now, I'm not so sure.

Fantastic post,I had a good day out despite the result.

Rumours suggest within days the club could well be knackered....600,000 extra reasons.

I should put in some mitigation. I had a great day with my family and friends, seeing so many Southend fans sent shivers down my spine, it was fantastic. I'm sorry to bring the mood down. But I am so disillusioned.

I guess I am sad because I know there were three people sitting at Wembley yesterday, in Steve Tilson, Kevin Maher and Paul Sturrock. All have been let down by the club. Tilly and Sturrock in a managerial capacity, Maher is still waiting for his testimonial at Fossetts Farm in 2008. All are dignified individuals who could have said a lot about our chairman and have not done so. I want to apologise to them on our behalf. I shouldn't have to.

Fully agree with the above, was really looking foward to wembley ever since the orient game but that performance ruined my day to be honest.

I had 8 ac Milan mates fly out to the game. Spent the best part of £500 each on the weekend to then experience that dross. I felt really guilty leaving them at Liverpool st about 11pm last night to roam the cold streets as they didn't book a hotel as they had an early flight this morning.

Gutted it turned out like that

tell it how you feel, you are not alone

I was talking to some others rather tipsy on the train home yesterday and if I am brutally honest I found it all abit flat. I enjoyed the trip up there and abit of banter on the train but once I got to my seat I was surrounded by so many plastic supporters who thought that having a "Crewe & Southend " scarf entitled them to moan and groan about how we were playing with the bloke behind me offering an opinion about all of our team, it was all preety poo. I much prefer the atmosphere at roots hall with our 5000 ish true supporters than 20,000 extra people in a stadium shouting expletives about players who names they dont know. The performance did not help either and I would have swapped it all for promotion anyday, sorry to be the only killjoy but I just want this season to end so I can start looking forward to next season.

That's a shame, I still really enjoyed my day. I think I went with no expectations so although the performance and everything that's gone on previously has been annoying, the day itself was still a marvellous experience. But then, I never got to Cardiff due to child minding issues, and I've not been to Wembley before.

Dont get it at all.

Why does what has happened in the past or off the field stop you enjoying a one off trip to Wembley?

Im not happy with how the club is run or things that have happened and still happen but I absolutely loved yesterday, it was a break from all the issues and its a shame you let any off the pitch issues get in the way of that.

To be honest mate I don't know, perhaps it was the build up and the expectation, plus I would have loved us to get a goal, just one, to see those fans give us a cheer. I see your point, but I think it just comes down to the individual and I just feel a bit gutted.

But as you say overall, yesterday was great and I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen for ages, I had a beer and a laugh with a lot of people and nothing will ever beat seeing that stadium packed out at one end with Blues supporters.

I was talking to some others rather tipsy on the train home yesterday and if I am brutally honest I found it all abit flat. I enjoyed the trip up there and abit of banter on the train but once I got to my seat I was surrounded by so many plastic supporters who thought that having a "Crewe & Southend " scarf entitled them to moan and groan about how we were playing with the bloke behind me offering an opinion about all of our team, it was all preety poo. I much prefer the atmosphere at roots hall with our 5000 ish true supporters than 20,000 extra people in a stadium shouting expletives about players who names they dont know. The performance did not help either and I would have swapped it all for promotion anyday, sorry to be the only killjoy but I just want this season to end so I can start looking forward to next season.

You're not the only killjoy, I started it so I should take the blame.

To be honest mate I don't know, perhaps it was the build up and the expectation, plus I would have loved us to get a goal, just one, to see those fans give us a cheer. I see your point, but I think it just comes down to the individual and I just feel a bit gutted.

But as you say overall, yesterday was great and I saw a lot of people I hadn't seen for ages, I had a beer and a laugh with a lot of people and nothing will ever beat seeing that stadium packed out at one end with Blues supporters.

Despite you attributing it all to off the field issues, Im sure he we had won 3-2 in injury time you would be raving about the amazing day.

You are right the performance didnt match the occassion, but I never really cared if we won or lost so it didnt affect my day. I would have loved a goal to celebrate though...

Now I was one who said promotion was far more important than a day out when we had the polls a while back. After yesterday Im not as convinced....

I'm finding it really hard to find the positives from yesterday, something I didn't think I'd find myself saying after going to Wembley to watch Southend. The Brown/Sturrock situation, the poor team selection/lack of tactics/poor performance/presence of Mohsni all conspired to suck the enjoyment out of it. Add to that the ***** journey served up by Greater Anglia, not having time to go to the Green Man and the disappointing atmosphere, I ended up finding the day more stressful than anything else.

That said, going with my friends, walking up Wembley Way, getting in the stadium and being part of it was great and I'm sure in a day or two after the hurt has faded I'll be able to look back on the good of it.

But I am still ****ed off, and still worried about the current management, and the financial future of the club. :sad:

Despite you attributing it all to off the field issues, Im sure he we had won 3-2 in injury time you would be raving about the amazing day.

You are right the performance didnt match the occassion, but I never really cared if we won or lost so it didnt affect my day. I would have loved a goal to celebrate though...

Now I was one who said promotion was far more important than a day out when we had the polls a while back. After yesterday Im not as convinced....

Probably true. Look, I'm a football fan, it's my right to be fickle. But the fact is we didn't and were never likely to with that line-up, which, like it or not, was a symptom of the off field issues. The chairman's complete incompetence generally was brought to a head when he sacked the manager two weeks before the final and led to a man who didn't know his best team playing a complete loon in the most important area of the pitch who proceeded to cost us the game. In turn, the old manager would never have been sacked if he wasn't trying to manage a team through transfer embargoes and players being paid late. Come to think of it, neither would the previous manager.

Fully agree with the above, was really looking foward to wembley ever since the orient game but that performance ruined my day to be honest.

I had 8 ac Milan mates fly out to the game. Spent the best part of £500 each on the weekend to then experience that dross. I felt really guilty leaving them at Liverpool st about 11pm last night to roam the cold streets as they didn't book a hotel as they had an early flight this morning.

Gutted it turned out like that

Out of interest what were you hoping for your AC Milan supporting mates to see?

Some new exciting paradigm for the way football will be played in the future?

Back