• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
I’m not a Manchester United fan. When Freddy Eastwood dispatched a venomous 25-yard free kick past Tomasz Kuszczack in the Carling Cup, I was as ecstatic as every other Southend supporter crammed into Roots Hall. I do, however, own a green and gold scarf.

Supporters are funny groups of people. One minute, they can be great, warring factions deserving of a place in a Shakespearian love story, whereas the second a threat rears its ugly head the division and rivalry is forgotten, uniting to conquer the foe.

The Love United, Hate Glazer campaign has been simmering in the background for a few months now, ready to boil over despite what is amounting to a successful season for the reigning champions.

Ever since Malcolm Glazer and his hostile, leveraged-debt ridden takeover bid wrestled ownership of the club there have been a steady stream of support groups and protests and rightfully so. In a second, United went from being a financially secure fortress to a club crippled by an enormous debt and the interest accrued.

Such is the calibre of the squad that Sir Alex Ferguson has assembled and, in fairness, the ageing talents at Chelsea and the equally tumultuous ownership at Liverpool, the problems at Old Trafford have been glossed over by a concession of trophies. It’s not the present that the Manchester United Supporters Trust are worried about, though, it’s the future...

By obtaining over 100,000 members, MUST contacted the so called ‘Red Knights’, fronted by football finance expert Keith Harris, in order to launch the strongest campaign yet to oust the Glazers from the club. Although no official bid has yet been received, the American Owners have reiterated their stance that the club is not for sale. They might have been able to dispel some of the supporters with a bond £500m bond issue that helped them restructure the debt, but even the most ardent supporter would struggle to cast that in a positive manner.

It’s something that their deadliest rivals are all too familiar with. Liverpool have struggled immensely under the stewardship of Hicks and Gillette, the pair rarely seen within talking distance of each other. Another debt-ridden takeover that has had a disastrous effect on the finances of the club, with the team directly suffering at the hands of penny-pinching.

To see the two biggest clubs in English football suffer so at the hands of meddling businessmen is a damning indictment of the commercial aspect of football today. The blind and almost tribal faith of supporters is so easily exploited with extortionate ticket prices and exhaustive amounts of merchandise; it was only a matter of time until foreign markets saw the money-making potential.

So, when such a threat is posed, a threat that all football fans can relate to, it is drastically important that supporters group together. At the cost of just £5, a green and gold scarf might not seem the most potent of anti-establishment weapons. The message it sends, however, is one that will reverberate around the vacant, Tampa mansions of the Glazer family.

I don’t support Manchester United, but this is a cause every football supporter should get behind.

Very well written, but why should the likes of me (even though I hate Manure) care about foreign investment?

Manure prostitute themselves to whatever foreign country will buy TV rights, the merchandise, friendly games in their country. Look at the countryies that they sell thmeselves. India, China, USA & most of the Far East. They know what they are doing especially in the first two countries mentioned, which happen to be the two fastest growing economies in the world at the moment.

Go to Old Trafford & see the numerous nationalities there, especially from the Arab & Far Eastern World. They seek the wealthy businessman's money & complain when it turns out not to be another Chelski-alike.

Long live the useless Yanks at the greedy clubs. Maybe we will go back to the days when one of numerous clubs could win the Prem, not just the select 2 or 3. I might watch a few more Prem games if they were less predictable!

Sorry, I can't agree. If Colchester United had a similar campaign I'd put my rivalry aside and support them - but not Manc U. Their fans have enjoyed the fruits of being a globally famous brand which is publicly listed on the stock exchange. In fact your average Man U fan is a smug, arrogant masturbator as a result. So now they have to take the consequences - quite frankly, bollocks to them!

Oh, the irony, all those green and gold scarves being worn at a completely sold out Old Trafford. The Glazers must be trembling. Instead of investing a fiver in a piece of supporter uberness, how about voting with their feet and not renewing their season tickets?

In the meantime, thousand upon thousand of protesting scarf wearers, who at the same time are prepared to pay good money over to the Glazers, will continue to be treated with derision and scorn by many.

Sorry, I can't agree. If Colchester United had a similar campaign I'd put my rivalry aside and support them - but not Manc U. Their fans have enjoyed the fruits of being a globally famous brand which is publicly listed on the stock exchange. In fact your average Man U fan is a smug, arrogant masturbator as a result. So now they have to take the consequences - quite frankly, bollocks to them!

And you wouldn't, quite happily, take it if Salim Al Billionaire waltzed into Roots Hall, ousted RM, and stumped up several billion to turn us into a global brand?

Not to say I agree with floating clubs on the stock exchange, but it's been made very evident that Malcolm Glazer doesn't have the best interests of Manchester United at heart. Leveraged buy outs, if you ask me, should be point blank refused by the Football League... You want to buy a football club? That's fine, but you have to have the money to do so.

Oh, the irony, all those green and gold scarves being worn at a completely sold out Old Trafford. The Glazers must be trembling. Instead of investing a fiver in a piece of supporter uberness, how about voting with their feet and not renewing their season tickets?

I think just under 10,000 won't be renewing their season tickets for next season, but that'll do little with a waiting list 50,000 strong for ST's. I've read they have something special planned for the Milan game... They have half the ground confirmed to be walking in 10 minutes late whilst chanting anti-Glazer songs. 10 minutes, on international TV, of a 3/4 empty Old Trafford would certainly send a message.

Last edited:
I think just under 10,000 won't be renewing their season tickets for next season, but that'll do little with a waiting list 50,000 strong for ST's. I've read they have something special planned for the Milan game... They have half the ground confirmed to be walking in 10 minutes late whilst chanting anti-Glazer songs. 10 minutes, on international TV, of a 3/4 empty Old Trafford would certainly send a message.

Colchester are used to that!

I tend to think 90 minutes of a three quarters empty Old Trafford would send a message.

Coming in 10 minutes after kick-off, however (which a proportion of any crowd do in any case), and singing a few nasty little songs about that nasty Mr. Glazer, will only make them look a bit precious.

And you wouldn't, quite happily, take it if Salim Al Billionaire waltzed into Roots Hall, ousted RM, and stumped up several billion to turn us into a global brand?

A big part of the reason why we and other clubs like us are facing the issues we do is down to the greed of the Premiership big clubs, of which the worst example are Man Utd.

Also, when there are clubs in need down in the lower leagues look at the message boards. Support from fans of the clubs down here with them, but when do you ever seen fans of the Big 4 pledging their support?

They don't give a flying wotsit about us so sorry, I don't care about them. They can go tits up for all I'm bothered.

They'd have done better to protest back in 1990 when Manchester United went public and left themselves open to hostile takeover. They took a risk for the sake of a quick buck and they paid for it. Terrible shame...

Why should anybody like us, who pour our time and money into supporting a club that actually represents something about us, lose sleep because some just desserts are being served up to a club which over the past couple of decades has done everything in its power to undermine the local fanbases of the Southend Uniteds of the world in favour of a model whereby we all "support" one of a handful of Sky friendly corporations miles away?

I don't see it ever happening, but I would absolutely love to see them go bust. In fact I'll go so far as to say that I believe that English football as a whole would emerge all the better for it.

A big part of the reason why we and other clubs like us are facing the issues we do is down to the greed of the Premiership big clubs, of which the worst example are Man Utd.

Also, when there are clubs in need down in the lower leagues look at the message boards. Support from fans of the clubs down here with them, but when do you ever seen fans of the Big 4 pledging their support?

They don't give a flying wotsit about us so sorry, I don't care about them. They can go tits up for all I'm bothered.

Good point well made.

I just can't bring myself to care one jot about Man Utd, Liverpool or any of the other Premier League teams pleading poverty.

Firstly because given the financial straits we find ourselves in it's almost trying to be sorry for a multi-millionaire whose 'financial hardships' mean that they can't afford to buy a Lear Jet this year. If you believe the media then Liverpool are on the verge of collapse and yet all I can see is that they're going to finish a couple of places lower in the Premier League and may have to swap one European competition for another. We've got our second appointment with HMRC in 3 months later this week which could see us declared insolvent...hmmmm tough times at Anfield indeed.

Secondly because it's completely their own fault. When the Premier League was formed they pretty much stuck two fingers up to the rest of English football and decided to go it alone, just for the sake of greed. They set their own rules and regulations regarding ownership of clubs and then prostituted themselves to the Sky Sports money. The premier league is a business just like any other now and in the world of business you get hostile takeover bids, businesses going bankrupt and strategies to maximise revenues (in this particular industry its achieved by screwing over the very fans who are the lifeblood of the club). Last time I checked football was about kicking an inflated sphere though two posts 8 yards apart.

Back