• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why I'm Glad Barneys gone!

Winkle

Manager
To actually get some dosh for a player who would be out of contract in a few months time is good business as over the last few seasons our track record in letting players run there contracts out leaves us all speculating whats going to happen. In this case its been done and dusted quickly, which lets face it, was always going to happen so at least we no where we stand. I wish barney the very best as his goals this season have been the one saving grace in what is turning into a very mediocre run in to the end of our current campaign. Personally, barney has never really done it for me! He is a very very good finisher but I like pacey strikers with a bit of flair who can terrorise defenders and offer something more in the air and I just hope that saints will play to his strengths. He is a very good player but I dont think he is going to be able to improve much more ( if he can stay fit) so all in all its good business. I dont think we are going to get dragged into a relegation battle either so to get permanent young players in can only help us for next season rebuilding of the squad.

I'm pretty satisfied overall, we got Paterson for free and the money from Barney's sale will help. It's a new exciting era in the Southend strike force with him and Spencer. And as you say, he's not a special player, no Eastwood. Don't get me wrong we'll miss his goals but it's not a disaster.

I don't think he does need to improve. He isn't quick but we knew that anyway, what he does have going for him is that he is probably the best "finisher" i have seen at Southend in a long time. Eastwood could score the spectacular but if i had to put my house on Barney or Eastwood in a 1 on 1 it would be Barney everytime.

And that is exactly why i think he can play in the championship because he doesn't have to rely on his pace and skill to score goals, which as proved with Eastwood, gets found out a lot easier against better opposition. One chance and Barney will score.

I do agree however that a pacey skilful striker is far more pleasing on the eye, most of the time, but generally where they let themselves down is their finishing, hence why they would be playing league 1 football. All the build up no end product.

Lets just hope Spencer and Paterson have both got enough to see us through staying up this year with Barney.

Gutted to lose a player of his calibre but I am delighted to see we have moved swiftly to replace him.

Losing Gower and Clarke on free's was a real gut wrench especially where Clarke was concerend if you consider out inital outlay.

Paterson is on a decent length deal and is a actual signing so all in all in light of current circumstances I am delighted.

By the way, if you were in the club shop early this afternoon, you probably knew it before it made official, as there were shirts hanging up with 'Paterson' written on the back of them.

I don't think he does need to improve. He isn't quick but we knew that anyway, what he does have going for him is that he is probably the best "finisher" i have seen at Southend in a long time. Eastwood could score the spectacular but if i had to put my house on Barney or Eastwood in a 1 on 1 it would be Barney everytime.

And that is exactly why i think he can play in the championship because he doesn't have to rely on his pace and skill to score goals, which as proved with Eastwood, gets found out a lot easier against better opposition. One chance and Barney will score.

I do agree however that a pacey skilful striker is far more pleasing on the eye, most of the time, but generally where they let themselves down is their finishing, hence why they would be playing league 1 football. All the build up no end product.

Lets just hope Spencer and Paterson have both got enough to see us through staying up this year with Barney.

Was it at Stockport that Barney missed an open goal?

Fortunately the ball rebounded to him and he put it away at the second opportunity. Never saw Eastwood miss a chance like that. Don't get me wrong, Barnard is a fine player, but he's not in Eastwood's class as a finisher.

By the way, if you were in the club shop early this afternoon, you probably knew it before it made official, as there were shirts hanging up with 'Paterson' written on the back of them.

Is it Paterson or Patterson? I've seen both online now...

Was going to have a gentle ****-take but I realised the error of my ways due to Google!

Good job I didn't go in to get a shirt today..... ;)

Luton away in Championship season, Eastwood rounds the keeper and hits the post and it goes wide

Gah!! I remember watching that on telly in the Hamlet.. that was moment when I knew we were going down.. Mind you I did have about 12 of those moments that season. The first one being at Palace

The way Spencer finished up at 'udd looked very encouraging! :excellent:

I am delighted to see we have moved swiftly to replace him.

although i see your point i can't agree they are replacements. we've taken a punt of spencer even though he was released from a league 2 team and also got paterson who i doubt anyone knows much about tbh as he was only added on to sweeten the barny deal.

replacing would in my eyes mean actually spending the money earnt on barny on new players!!!!! but no it will go into rons pocket again.

we've made a profit from barney as only got him for 25k

Bit late, but can I just say I'm pleased he's gone too: you're now obvious relegation fodder as well, and the more sides in the mixer, the better for a team as crap as Orient :)

Bit late, but can I just say I'm pleased he's gone too: you're now obvious relegation fodder as well, and the more sides in the mixer, the better for a team as crap as Orient :)

Was it not you who came on here telling us he was pony when he signed him?

Was it not you who came on here telling us he was pony when he signed him?

Yes, the very same man who has since praised the player he's turned into, and admitted I called it completely wrong.

I'll admit I'm wrong on this one too if you avoid the relegation scrap. I'm on this site to be generally shot at, but you won't see me hiding from my mistakes like a WUM. As it goes, unless you sign a suitable replacement, I'll be prepared to put my cash where my mouth is that you'll finish in the bottom 8 at best. Perhaps The General or Aberdeen Shrimper would like to wager the money they already owe me on a wee flutter?

Yes, the very same man who has since praised the player he's turned into, and admitted I called it completely wrong.

I'll admit I'm wrong on this one too if you avoid the relegation scrap. I'm on this site to be generally shot at, but you won't see me hiding from my mistakes like a WUM. As it goes, unless you sign a suitable replacement, I'll be prepared to put my cash where my mouth is that you'll finish in the bottom 8 at best. Perhaps The General or Aberdeen Shrimper would like to wager the money they already owe me on a wee flutter?

I wasn't having a dig, or suggeting that you were wrong. It was just a pointless general question. I can sometimes go AWOL from this board for months at a time and didn't see you admit your mistake, but the 'Barnard is pony' post is one of those that has stuck in my mind!

FWIW, I think you're right, we will be in the relegation fight along with you now.

Early days yet but I have noticed that Barney was subbed after 62mins in the Saints last home game, against Stockport..............it was following his substitution that they got the two goals to win the match. The following League match away to Exeter, he was on the bench and only came on for the last two mins. In last nights JP Trophy match, Saints fielded their First side and Barney didn't even make the bench... ........is he injured already?
On the one hand I'm sure the much fatter salary feels good but how is it to change from being the adored star of a small club, with your name one of the first on the team sheet.................to being a bit player fighting for recognition in a 'bigger' club.
I wonder whether Barney is reflecting on things yet and thinking about the next time he will actually get ninety minutes on the pitch? Does he care?...............I reckon he does.

Early days yet but I have noticed that Barney was subbed after 62mins in the Saints last home game, against Stockport..............it was following his substitution that they got the two goals to win the match. The following League match away to Exeter, he was on the bench and only came on for the last two mins. In last nights JP Trophy match, Saints fielded their First side and Barney didn't even make the bench... ........is he injured already?
On the one hand I'm sure the much fatter salary feels good but how is it to change from being the adored star of a small club, with your name one of the first on the team sheet.................to being a bit player fighting for recognition in a 'bigger' club.
I wonder whether Barney is reflecting on things yet and thinking about the next time he will actually get ninety minutes on the pitch? Does he care?...............I reckon he does.

He played in the JPT for us.

Back