• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

leeblue

Members⭐
Ok here goes, in reply to the quite frankly OTT reaction to losing a cup final we had done amazingly well to get to let alone win the thing and some seemingly deflated people who had ridiculous expectations of the day.

Awoken at 7:30 by my Dad banging on the front door singing wembleeeee wembleeee, he had just driven down from ipswich. He is an SUFC fanatic and the reason I was the same by the age of 4. My sixteen year old son opens the door and starts getting his butt in gear, I do likewise. We head out for some brekkie before boarding the 9:05 from southend east. The station was mobbed as was the train after a couple of stops it was standing sardine stylee in our carriage. Meet a couple of other SUFC nuts at west ham and off to the Globe. phone 140.jpg
The pub was rammed and a real good buzz was building. Back on the tube after a couple of shandies. The tube train was rowdy, plenty of chanting and lads jumping around. Good stuff then we arrive at the home of football and there it was a sea of peoples/flags/chants etc etc, just as i had pictured it, brilliant. We have a slow stroll up wembley way.phone 172.jpg
We make a beeline for the Bobby Moore statue, one of the finest players this country has ever produced and our former gaffer to boot. Got a great picture but cant upload it for some reason, three generations together for SUFC at wembley, amazing. Then quite nervously we go into the ground, go through the entrance to our block and just WOW, what a fantastic arena, I have been to barcelona, madrid, ajax arena and IMO this beat the lot, real colliseum feel to it (far better than the millenium stadium IMO) Then my team SUFC came out with all the glitz and hooha associated with such a game. The result was never ever important to me.

I notice quite an extreme reaction the the performance......really thought we did ok apart from the two goals and smith making a couple of saves, we could/should have got a goal out of the game and possibly a penalty too, I come back to expectations, we have been playing poorly for a while now and I have no idea why people suddenly thought this would change on the most famous ground in the world in front of the TV camera against a good team from the division above, the FACT not opinion FACT is we could have nicked something (not for one minute suggesting we were the better team) TAM really should have scored that header in the first half, I have seen that penalty appeal over and over form the first half and I have seen far softer given on many occasions, we had a goal ruled off for offside, one cleared off the line, an outstanding piece of defending to deny Mohsni, Corr should have done better with a header from the back stick......

Some saying there was a lack of effort, I am sorry to say this but what a load of bollocks, every player in blue gave there all but as usual many on here think that a lack of ability means a lack of effort, If i was marking the boys I would give Straker a 5, not because he didnt try but because he is not very good but he definitely put plenty of effort in.

So many amazing little bits of the day that I loved and so important to my son my dad and me, 11 men not winning a game of football was never going to dampen those things, in fact I will thank the players over and over for getting there and letting us forge some special memories.

What a top post and echos my thoughts exactly.

We were a mixture of 3 gens family and friends who had a truly memorable day from start to finish and one that will stay with me forever.

The players gave their best, unfortunately, it just wasn't enough on this occasion against a well organised better side however, this took nothing away from the truly fantastic experience.

A sensible post for a change. I too had a brilliant day from start to finish so the result didnt go our way but i not going to overreact like the humerous masses on here

Wasn't the exact performance or result that we wanted, but I got to take my five and a half year old to her first Southend game at Wembley. She can't wait to take her shirt, flag and hat into school to tell her classmates in Devon all about her wonderful day in London with her Dad. Even better than that I got to sit with my dad and brother - in total over 110 years of supporting Southend between us - when the mighty blues ran out at Wembley Stadium. There were 32,000 blues fans sharing this moment. Unbelieveable! Yes, it didn't go to plan, but I for one will always remember this very special day.

Myself and my father had a great day regardless of the result it will forever stay in my memory.

Guess its about expectations. I never really cared if we won the game, for me getting to take the family up there on the train, to see over 30,000 Southend fans packing Wembley Way and the stadium was what I went for. A goal in the second half and some more excitement on the pitch would have made it even better, but Ill always remember taking my kids there, and hope they remember it too.

Great sum up of the day. I also enjoyed myself and so did my small party. Wasn't the result we wanted but we dreamed it could be. It was a site from start to finish with a sea of blue everywhere, train journey, pub, stadium. Fantastic.

Yes it was a very good day, I travelled up from cornwall with my son (leaving at 7.30 ). Met my brother and a couple of good mates at entrance L had a few larfs and then went in to see the match. We all enjoyed the day, none of use had previously been to Wembley, the weather was fab and so was the stadium. Shame about the result and several poor performances, but the team did play to form, so got no grumbles about the result.

Agree with most posts on this thread. I have waited over fifty years to see my team at Wembley and will always remember 32000 Blues supporters making their way along Wembley Way. Priceless!!

My son and I travelled back from our family holiday in Spain for 24 hours so we could go to the game. Do I regret it? Not for one moment. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a large family contingent watching Southend at the home of football.

I really do not think we played that poorly - I have seen a lot worse this season. Crewe are a good side and we gave it as good a shot as we could. There was no lack of effort from anyone in my opinion. We were beaten by one superb goal and one from an error which, let's face it, players at this level will make.

Great day out - and well done to the players for giving it their all.................................and for getting us to Wembley in the first place!!

As Above -A dream come true on my 65th Birthday,my criticism was in the team selection.But still a great day.

Great post LeeBlue sure we lost but we got there and im sure there's 46 other clubs that would gladly swap places with us.

I had a great day yesterday only marred by some moron behind me telling us to sit down because he couldn't see sadly the people in front gave us no other option but to stand up or we couldn't see as they were standing.

Well never forget that walk down wembley way and stopped for a while to see all the Southend fans walking down there and bumping into people we hadn't seen in years.
Seeing all the rows of seats empty at the Crewe end and seeing our end full made me see what a big club we could be the potential is there. Just only hope we can get the new stadium and start doing well but I have real doubts about that with Martin in charge. Just makes me think we could be like Reading a club similar size to us 20 years ago that had a bit of money pumped into them and a great new stadium built and are now light years ahead of us that could be us one day.

I LOVED getting to the Green Man at 8.15 and being asked if I wanted a shot in my pint of Doom Bar.
I LOVED being hugged by True Blue, strangely.
I LOVED seeing a very humble Mr Sturrock.
I LOVED witnessing all the coaches pouring out the fans at the Green Man.
I LOVED being asked who I supported by a doorman as I tried to enter a Crewe pub in my SUFC shirt and scarf.
I LOVED seeing 1000s of Shrimpers coming down the steps at Wembley Park station.
I LOVED meeting up with my family and friends and walking down Wembley Way.
I LOVED seeing so many old faces in the concourse inside the ground.
I LOVED seeing 32,000 SUFC fans in one place.

And I'm used to the game spoiling my day out.

I LOVED getting to the Green Man at 8.15 and being asked if I wanted a shot in my pint of Doom Bar.
I LOVED being hugged by True Blue, strangely.
I LOVED seeing a very humble Mr Sturrock.
I LOVED witnessing all the coaches pouring out the fans at the Green Man.
I LOVED being asked who I supported by a doorman as I tried to enter a Crewe pub in my SUFC shirt and scarf.
I LOVED seeing 1000s of Shrimpers coming down the steps at Wembley Park station.
I LOVED meeting up with my family and friends and walking down Wembley Way.
I LOVED seeing so many old faces in the concourse inside the ground.
I LOVED seeing 32,000 SUFC fans in one place.

And I'm used to the game spoiling my day out.

Bloody marvelous love it.

Watching Southend lose is a way of life but I got to see them lose at the home of football...How awesome is that.

Top post LB, I was gutted but I will never forget that I saw my team Southend United at Wembley. More importantly I took my son (6) with the friends and family that we go with every home game.

great stuff Lee, agree completely and had a fantastic day out. The missus loved it too, although I still couldn't get her to don the mighty blue shirt.

Back