• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
Has it taken so long for the team to rediscover its form. That tonight was the team that was doing so well 12 games ago. Full of energy, endeavour, football played on the deck and players that wanted to win. Can't remember the last time we played so well and created so many chances, well I can actually, Chesterfield at home 3-0. Has it been down to poor team selection, poor tactics, player tiredness, player attitude, PB stubbornness to play 4-3-3 or maybe a combination of all those factors. Saturday now becomes massive, three points against Torquay and we give ourselves a huge chance. Teams that win in the play offs generally come into them in good form, let's hope that a good run starting now can give us that momentum that we undoubtedly will need. Utb

Pace up front!

Yes, agreed. What we had tonight were 2 strikers willing to run themselves into the ground to press the defence. This means that the opposition give the ball away a lot. The strikers also run the channels which creates an outlet. It enables the whole team to play differently. Reminiscent of the Tomlin/Assombalonga partnership last season.

It was having two players who were happy to run at the defence as well, that's something that's not in Corr's locker at all.

I thought this would be about why it has taken PB so long to bring in a pacy striker. Last night Rowett on Sky said Ox were lacking someone to get behind us. I thought Ox looked like we have until last night. That last goal was just fabulous for so many reasons.

I thought this would be about why it has taken PB so long to bring in a pacy striker. Last night Rowett on Sky said Ox were lacking someone to get behind us. I thought Ox looked like we have until last night. That last goal was just fabulous for so many reasons.

Yep,

Bit like us playing Corr as the lone forward we simply cannot get behind teams.

Yep,

Bit like us playing Corr as the lone forward we simply cannot get behind teams.

Indeed, in that system we had to rely on the two attacking midfielders to get forward, when it worked it was fine but it got found out and they stopped doing it we lacked penetration have done for some time.

I echo what many of you have been saying and Interestingly this morning my 9 year old son said, 'Dad last night was like having Tomlin or Britt back again', what do they both posses? pace and an ability to beat a defender. I doubt the centre back for oxford has had a togher game all season than what loza gave him.

Quite simply we stretched Oxford back due to the pace and workrate of Loza and Barnard. That stops the midfield being congested and in turn allows them to create chances for the forwards. Its so simple!

Great performance and I REALLY like Loza - the ball just seems to stick to him and you could consider him 'lucky' which is a perfect trait for a forward to have!

I echo what many of you have been saying and Interestingly this morning my 9 year old son said, 'Dad last night was like having Tomlin or Britt back again', what do they both posses? pace and an ability to beat a defender. I doubt the centre back for oxford has had a togher game all season than what loza gave him.

Agreed,
He ran their back line into submission,Shame Williams was not on the bench as he could of come on for the last 15 and we could of seen what he could do against their tired rearguard.

BBBC gives everything and certainly offers an option. However, we saw last night that the team is light years better with pace and forward momentum - as opposed to waiting for the ball to arrive at a slow big man.
In Barry's defence, he has been an option when we had no pace. However, the thought of him trying to muscle us to promotion after the ban? Noooooooooo.
Pace and imagination please.

BBBC gives everything and certainly offers an option. However, we saw last night that the team is light years better with pace and forward momentum - as opposed to waiting for the ball to arrive at a slow big man.
In Barry's defence, he has been an option when we had no pace. However, the thought of him trying to muscle us to promotion after the ban? Noooooooooo.
Pace and imagination please.

Corr would be a great partner for Loza though.

He has been asked for so long to play with his back to goal to win the ball for players even deeper than he is most of the time. Imagine if he had Loza to actually win the ball for....

There was pace throughout the team. Not just up front. We played at a high tempo earlier in the season with Corr in the team. Egan and Sokolik attacked the ball with pace, and we're willing to press very high. The midfield were energetic and loza and barney didn't give their back line a rest. It was a much better and more confident team performance and not purely down to loza (although he played a massive part)

He has been asked for so long to play with his back to goal to win the ball for players even deeper than he is most of the time. Imagine if he had Loza to actually win the ball for....

I agree it has been difficult for Corr. I just do not think he is mobile enough or is a quality finisher. A big lad willing to work hard. For me - that is all he offers. Effort.

Indeed Pubey, the whole came out from kick off looking very good, that was before Loza had a chance to make an impact.

Getting the early goal obviously helped, and he played a part in that, but who scored it ? A midfielder after a delightful little flick from another midfielder from Loza's cross.

Loza made a massive impact and he will have lifted the rest of the team with his performance, but they deserve plenty of credit as well, they did all of the things they were doing earlier in the season.

I agree it has been difficult for Corr. I just do not think he is mobile enough or is a quality finisher. A big lad willing to work hard. For me - that is all he offers. Effort.

He is the best player we have for leading the line and winning the ball, that would be a perfect combination to have alongside Loza.

Barnard played very well last night but Corr will always win more.

Unfortunately what last night highlighted more than anything is that Freds days are numbered. I love the guy for what he gave us all those years ago, but with the pace that Loza showed last night it highlighted what weve have been missing. Fred just doesnt have it and unfortunately im certain his days will end at Southend come the summer. Assuming PB is still in charge he must focus his attention on signing/loaning a striker or two with pace. I would keep Corr, as i still believe he has much to offer and hasnt let us down this season. Barney last night also showed glimpses of the old Barney and certainly had his best game since returning, if available i would like him signed up. Will Williams come good? Will Loza be available for a season long loan? lots of questions for PB to answer, but regardless of what happens this season we must look at pace as a way forward. It cant be a coincidence that the midfield played so much better last night in the formation that was played.

totally agree with that . Barney had his best game so far for us , but like you I think we would have scored moire with corr playing rather than Barney. Separately I wish Straker had come on earlier

Unfortunately what last night highlighted more than anything is that Freds days are numbered. I love the guy for what he gave us all those years ago, but with the pace that Loza showed last night it highlighted what weve have been missing. Fred just doesnt have it and unfortunately im certain his days will end at Southend come the summer. Assuming PB is still in charge he must focus his attention on signing/loaning a striker or two with pace. I would keep Corr, as i still believe he has much to offer and hasnt let us down this season. Barney last night also showed glimpses of the old Barney and certainly had his best game since returning, if available i would like him signed up. Will Williams come good? Will Loza be available for a season long loan? lots of questions for PB to answer, but regardless of what happens this season we must look at pace as a way forward. It cant be a coincidence that the midfield played so much better last night in the formation that was played.

Agree with this apart from the Barney thing( sorry),Lee had plenty of huff and puff but IMO did little else(apart from the pen and his volley).

Would like to see Corr and Loza as the front pairing and would have loved to see Williams get the last 15 .

Getting the early goal obviously helped, and he played a part in that, but who scored it ? A midfielder after a delightful little flick from another midfielder from Loza's cross.

Did you mean to type "delightful little flick" or did you mean "really bad attempt to control the ball"?

Either way, delighted to have won and even more happy to see a striker try and stay on his feet and score rather than dive to the ground

Back