• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why wait to start a new club?

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
There's been much talk on here on various threads about starting a phoenix club when the time comes, and many people won't attend games as they don't want to give RM any more money...

So why wait for the apparent inevitability of SUFC failing before starting a rival club?

I'm sure people can put a few quid in to get funded, approach someone like Southend Manor or, more ambitiously, clubs like Basildon/Canvey/Bowers or Concord to ground share, and then there is something in place that can move much more quickly if need be.

It would also give a focus for people to do something meaningful and something would be happening behind the scenes that RM had no control over.

Just a thought.

I think the reason is because 99% of people on here have no idea on how to start and run a football club successfully.

I don't think it would hurt getting a group of people together who have experience and knowledge of how to start and run a club. Even someone who has contacts with someone would be helpful.

There's been much talk on here on various threads about starting a phoenix club when the time comes, and many people won't attend games as they don't want to give RM any more money...

So why wait for the apparent inevitability of SUFC failing before starting a rival club?

I'm sure people can put a few quid in to get funded, approach someone like Southend Manor or, more ambitiously, clubs like Basildon/Canvey/Bowers or Concord to ground share, and then there is something in place that can move much more quickly if need be.

It would also give a focus for people to do something meaningful and something would be happening behind the scenes that RM had no control over.

Just a thought.

It will never happen until such time the fans don't have an SUFC to support.

True. We can't reform if a club still exists.

Be careful what you wish for. Bury fans would love to be in our position, as terrible as it may seem.

Have Bury fans started up another club? I haven't been following there plight.

i don't think we are at that point yet, but we will need to be prepared should that eventuality arise....the question at present is how probable an outcome is that and over what timescale

a supporters trust is the perfect vehicle for these types of discussions and possible follow up actions etc...as they are usually one member, one vote

supporters trust of "stable" football league clubs can quite rightly concentrate on the softer side of football (community projects, youth football etc)

but as football clubs become more "unstable" then the trust members have to start looking to adding other objectives. if it reaches a critical mass of it's members then a simple objective could be to "ensure the long term future of Southend United"

the current short to mid term situation does not look great and there is no firm plans in place other than waiting and seeing

one thing for sure is that there is definitely a significant ground swell of concerned voices from southend united supporters now (who love and want the club to continue, in any shape or form)

i am surprised that the trust is not doing a large recruitment drive or that people are not joining of their own accord (one member, one vote) and then starting having these types of conversations (forming committees etc)

the great thing about trusts is that they are totally independent of the club and can set their own objectives and spend money raised as their members see fit.

i will play devil's advocate and say we get relegated this season and forsetts farm looks as far away as ever...is that a point where we need to take this more seriously and act accordingly

i am sadly a lapsed sufc trust member, but will renew next week

Just a thought.
Do u know how long it would take to get southend back up the divisions? Right now we are only 1 away from the football league! Ron or no Ron I'd take that all day long!

Reactions: fbm
Do u know how long it would take to get southend back up the divisions? Right now we are only 1 away from the football league! Ron or no Ron I'd take that all day long!
Yes Steve. Yes, I do know.

?

I'm not suggesting that I would be a part of it (I wouldn't). But my point was just to throw an idea out there... so many people seem to want "something to be going on" and here is a constructive idea.

According to some, FF will never happen and Ron is just giving the club a slow, painful death so he can run, laughing manically presumably, to the bank (assuming he can find one still open). My point was to illustrate that, if people really thought that the club would ultimately fold, why not get the wheels in motion NOW rather than wait until the club has died first?

Funny, I was driving past Stambridge United's ground yesterday, and thinking..........

Just take a Trotskyist approach and take over an existing team. Get lots of people elected on the board, fill the coffers by giving the team ridiculous gates of 5000 and eventually change the name to The Real Southend United or some such. All the while build up the ground into a 60,000 enormodome. It’s not very ethical though.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t support a Phoenix club. It’s not the Southend I grew up supporting and loving. It ain’t the Southend that beat Man United and gave me some of the greatest moments of my life.

The club might be on its knees but until there’s no club to support, I’ll keep supporting it. Southend United was here long before Ron Martin and will be here (hopefully) long after. A vote for the club isn’t a vote for Ron Martin.

They have formed a new club called Bury AFC and they are 2nd in their league and they play the likes of Daisy Hill FC so careful what you wish for.

I'm not wishing for anything, just asking a question..... Thanks for the info though.

I wouldn’t support a Phoenix club. It’s not the Southend I grew up supporting and loving. It ain’t the Southend that beat Man United and gave me some of the greatest moments of my life.

It's like the difference between Farahs and Tarahs.

One has given me some of the best moments of my life and the other is just a cheap facsimile.

If you form a club whilst SUFC is still going it will have to start at the bottom. With a Phoenix club there’s a chance it can start higher up the pyramid.
This is a fair point... but maybe a new club can climb a few rungs of the ladder in the meantime?

I do however suspect that if PB turns it around, or if he goes and someone else comes in and turns it around, then all of a sudden the dissenting voices are somewhat quieter.

But there are still some on here who are hell bent on the "Anyone but Ron" scenario and I imagine would still be regardless of how well we were doing, so they may want to have a go at doing something behind the scenes.

Back