• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

… YET STRANGELY OPTIMISTIC!!

Sometimes when a team is promoted, the momentum from previous seasons can be enough to carry you still forward – see Wigan last season in the Premiership and just look at what we achieved last year ourselves. But then sometimes the step up in class is just too much – at least initially. Look at the likes of Sheffield United and Watford in this year’s Premiership and then reference our own lowly position.

Clearly, it’s been a difficult start to the season.

Our great start against Stoke and a pleasing first half against Crystal Palace (that surely had most of us believing we’d have nothing to fear this season) gave way to a crazy five minutes when the step-up in quality put us firmly in our place. The disappointing encounter against QPR was then followed by a great result against a pre-form Sunderland. An unlucky defeat to Leicester then preceded a series of battling draws – at home to Sheffield Wednesday, the thriller versus Norwich and the hard-fought point at the home of many people’s favourites for the division, West Bromwich Albion. Wonderful moments and hard-fought points though they were, it still produced a meager return of just 3 points from the 3 games and if we’re going to survive, then even upon these small successes we must improve.

Ups and Downs

Right now, things are down of course. It’s a difficult time. The two successive humblings at the hands of an excellent Cardiff City “on t’ telly” and an in-form Derby County have clearly kicked us hard and caused us no shortage of pain and the coincidence of a run for the scum has made things even harder to bear.

Already the season’s had its ups and downs but despite the points on the board, the number of goals we’ve conceded and our floundering in the bottom three, I still think we’ve showed in most (if not all) of the games we’ve played that we CAN hold our own in this division!

Even in our humbling before the nation against Cardiff City, we’d played well enough and come close to scoring first. If goals change games as the commentators are fond of saying, then Cardiff’s first one took it away from us while the second just before the break killed us off. It might so easily have gone differently.

We need to be winning our home games though.

While it feels somewhat commendable to share points these days with the mighty Sheffield Wednesday and while it was a truly wonderful moment to see Gower tucking it in at the far post against Norwich to turn defeat into a draw, the odd point at home will not be enough to keep us in this division.

I’m sure we’ll pick up the odd point away from home from those who underestimate us, but what needs to happen before we shore up our leaking defence and turn some of these battling draws into narrow (but celebrated) victories?

Well…

The first thing we need is some of the luck we’ve enjoyed over the last couple of seasons.

Many people questioned the lack of depth in our squad last year (and probably rightly so)? However, we definitely got away with it. Our key players held their form throughout the season and we were lucky indeed with injuries. This season, the influence of Luke Guttridge has been sadly lacking and we’ve struggled to carry him (or replace him effectively). The loss of Sodje has also been a contributory factor – if I recall correctly, his absence at the back-end of last season played no small part in our end of season wobble. And while we’ve been failing to convert our chances, with Ricketts injured, we’ve had no one with any degree of experience to come on and show us the way.

We also need a settled team.

The obvious step up in class that we’re facing in the Championship aside, it’s always going to be difficult when you throw three new defenders into your back four. I’ve seen enough from Hammell and Francis to convince me that they’ll be fantastic players for Southend United... and Clarke is adored, nay revered, by all that have got to know him at Blackpool. But at the moment it just isn’t working.

Calls to drop Barrett, drop Clarke, drop Prior, bring back Wilson and throw in Hunt have been loud and consistent, but for me, the defence simply needs to get used to a system, get used to each other and get used to the division. It’s quite possible that Tilly still doesn’t know his best back four yet. I’m sure I don’t but I’ll be watching with interest. That said, I’ll be glad when Efe is back and firing on all cylinders.

We then need to start converting our chances.

3 goals against Sunderland and 3 goals against Norwich notwithstanding, we still need to be taking more of our chances. With chances fewer and further in between, staying up in the Championship this season positively demands that we make the most of every opportunity. And it must not all fall on the shoulders of Eastwood – especially now he is seen by all as the player who can make something happen.

Thankfully, for me, in his cameo appearances, Ricketts has shown that he’ll make a difference. Can he be the new Goat that knocks in goals himself while providing an excellent foil for Freddy? I’m sure we’ve got a lot to look forward to.

In summary, why I think we need to be cautiously optimistic:

We’re conceding lots of goals, we’re sitting in the bottom three and we’re five points adrift of Col******r FFS. But we’ve still played extremely well at times in most (if not all) of the games we’ve played. Our work ethic has been excellent and but for the last couple of games, our heads haven’t dropped when we’ve gone behind.

There’s also far more to come (I say in both hope and expectation):
• Ricketts is getting back to fitness (and hopefully form)
• Guttridge will likely show an improvement in form
• Sodje is due to return
• And our defence is likely to settle in both personnel and prowess.

13th place for me is a realistic target.

Comments ladies and gentlemen?

A very well structured statement with which it is hard to find anything contentious. I would however, suggest that perhaps the centre midfield pairing are too similar in style of play and therefore, irrespective of any welcome return to form by gutts, neither of the pairing have the instinctive tendancies to support the strikers. I would also suggest that serious work needs to be done on gower's defensive duties as he is all too often losing his 'man' and leaving hammell over exposed.

I would agree with your assements of where we are and where will hopefully be come the end of the season.

If we look back to the dip in form that we had last season around Christmas we lacked a solid back four. The arrival of Efe gave confidence, he integrated well and his understanding with Barrett payed dividends immediately. The Midfield was then able to look forwards and not worry so much about how fragile the defence is.

I do feel that Efe should comeback we need his stature and presence. OK so his distrbution is not that good, but by god when he heads a ball! Many an attack last season came from an Efe header ending up close to the final third, from way inside our half. How many games so far have we been that dominant in the air. We need that back so Mayer and Gutts can do what they do best, go forward and feed the wings and strikers.

I have no problem with Clarke, he has hit poor form and I think his confidence is low. He will I am sure shape up and come good for us.

I have to applaud the positive posts so far in this thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Oct. 02 2006,10:32)]… YET STRANGELY OPTIMISTIC!!

Sometimes when a team is promoted, the momentum from previous seasons can be enough to carry you still forward – see Wigan last season in the Premiership and just look at what we achieved last year ourselves. But then sometimes the step up in class is just too much – at least initially. Look at the likes of Sheffield United and Watford in this year’s Premiership and then reference our own lowly position.

Our great start against Stoke and a pleasing first half against Crystal Palace (that surely had most of us believing we’d have nothing to fear this season) gave way to a crazy five minutes when the step-up in quality put us firmly in our place. The disappointing encounter against QPR was then followed by a great result against a pre-form Sunderland. An unlucky defeat to Leicester then preceded a series of battling draws – at home to Sheffield Wednesday, the thriller versus Norwich and the hard-fought point at the home of many people’s favourites for the division, West Bromwich Albion. Wonderful moments and hard-fought points though they were, it still produced a meager return of just 3 points from the 3 games and if we’re going to survive, then even upon these small successes we must improve.

Ups and Downs

Right now, things are down of course. It’s a difficult time. The two successive humblings at the hands of an excellent Cardiff City “on t’ telly” and an in-form Derby County have clearly kicked us hard and caused us no shortage of pain and the coincidence of a run for the scum has made things even harder to bear.

Already the season’s had its ups and downs but despite the points on the board, the number of goals we’ve conceded and our floundering in the bottom three, I still think we’ve showed in most (if not all) of the games we’ve played that we CAN hold our own in this division!

Even in our humbling before the nation against Cardiff City, we’d played well enough and come close to scoring first. If goals change games as the commentators are fond of saying, then Cardiff’s first one took it away from us while the second just before the break killed us off. It might so easily have gone differently.

While it feels somewhat commendable to share points these days with the mighty Sheffield Wednesday and while it was a truly wonderful moment to see Gower tucking it in at the far post against Norwich to turn defeat into a draw, the odd point at home will not be enough to keep us in this division.

I’m sure we’ll pick up the odd point away from home from those who underestimate us, but what needs to happen before we shore up our leaking defence and turn some of these battling draws into narrow (but celebrated) victories?

Well…

The first thing we need is some of the luck we’ve enjoyed over the last couple of seasons.

Many people questioned the lack of depth in our squad last year (and probably rightly so)? However, we definitely got away with it.  Our key players held their form throughout the season and we were lucky indeed with injuries. This season, the influence of Luke Guttridge has been sadly lacking and we’ve struggled to carry him (or replace him effectively). The loss of Sodje has also been a contributory factor – if I recall correctly, his absence at the back-end of last season played no small part in our end of season wobble. And while we’ve been failing to convert our chances, with Ricketts injured, we’ve had no one with any degree of experience to come on and show us the way.

The obvious step up in class that we’re facing in the Championship aside, it’s always going to be difficult when you throw three new defenders into your back four. I’ve seen enough from Hammell and Francis to convince me that they’ll be fantastic players for Southend United... and Clarke is adored, nay revered, by all that have got to know him at Blackpool. But at the moment it just isn’t working.

Calls to drop Barrett, drop Clarke, drop Prior, bring back Wilson and throw in Hunt have been loud and consistent, but for me, the defence simply needs to get used to a system, get used to each other and get used to the division. It’s quite possible that Tilly still doesn’t know his best back four yet. I’m sure I don’t but I’ll be watching with interest. That said, I’ll be glad when Efe is back and firing on all cylinders.

3 goals against Sunderland and 3 goals against Norwich notwithstanding, we still need to be taking more of our chances. With chances fewer and further in between, staying up in the Championship this season positively demands that we make the most of every opportunity. And it must not all fall on the shoulders of Eastwood – especially now he is seen by all as the player who can make something happen.

Thankfully, for me, in his cameo appearances, Ricketts has shown that he’ll make a difference. Can he be the new Goat that knocks in goals himself while providing an excellent foil for Freddy? I’m sure we’ve got a lot to look forward to.

We’re conceding lots of goals, we’re sitting in the bottom three and we’re five points adrift of Col******r FFS. But we’ve still played extremely well at times in most (if not all) of the games we’ve played. Our work ethic has been excellent and but for the last couple of games, our heads haven’t dropped when we’ve gone behind.

• Sodje is due to return

Excellent, I could not agree anymore

Ricketts is goiing to make a huge difference, even if it is to just take a man away from Freddy!!

An absolutely excellent post, Hank. Clear, coherent and calm.

In my ever so humble opinion, we need a ferocious midfielder, someone to clatter about from box to box, taking the heat off Maher and giving him the time to make his passes count. Gutts isn't doing it. Smith, from what I've heard, isn't going to do it. I trust that Tilly is looking for someone as we speak.

We're ten games deep in the season, there's 36 to go. That's almost an entire Premiership season still to go. Ricketts does look quite tasty. We'll be ok.

Certainly need to start getting a win on the board.

The consolations at the moment are that we have played well in some games at least, if not the last two.

Ricketts hopefully will have a positive effect on the side as should Sodje.

Its frustrating we now have two weeks to wait to try to get back on track, but the fact we have no momentum to lose could actually be a blessing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Oct. 02 2006,11:53)]13th is a bit optimistic, though I'm very confident we'll stay up.
I agree and think it's optimistic too, but I also see it as being something we should realistically aim for. I certainly wouldn't want to aim for fourth from bottom and come up short.

Got to agree with most of the points raised here. Francis had a nightmare on Saturday but I think him and Clarke are just going through a bit of a confidence crisis. I think the same can be said for a few more of the side. Gower was in red hot form a couple of weeks ago but there were times against Derby when he beat his man and a shot looked on only for him to try a much more difficult pass back away from goal. Confidence breeds improved performances.

I was personally surprised to see JCR on the bench Saturday and for all he frustrates I've no doubt he would've caused Derby more problems than Lewis Hunt. We need a settled side and I think that side should include Efe at the expense of Clarke.

We of course have Ricketts on his way back and in the brief glimpses Ive seen of him he seems to have classy control and distribution which is vital to starting attacking moves.

Chins up Southend!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Oct. 02 2006,10:32)]… YET STRANGELY OPTIMISTIC!!

Ups and Downs

Well…

Many people questioned the lack of depth in our squad last year (and probably rightly so)? However, we definitely got away with it.  Our key players held their form throughout the season and we were lucky indeed with injuries. This season, the influence of Luke Guttridge has been sadly lacking and we’ve struggled to carry him (or replace him effectively). The loss of Sodje has also been a contributory factor – if I recall correctly, his absence at the back-end of last season played no small part in our end of season wobble. And while we’ve been failing to convert our chances, with Ricketts injured, we’ve had no one with any degree of experience to come on and show us the way.

• Sodje is due to return

Spot On !

Keep the faith!
A difficult start to the season in terms of the obvious step in quality as well as the standard of some of the better clubs faced so far. Look at the fixture list from now until Christmas: plenty of chances to get both goals and points.
It will come good and the next 12 weeks are crucial. If we don't perform during the period, wave the championship goodbye. However, I firmly believe we will now start getting the points on the board.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BrettieAngell @ Oct. 02 2006,18:10)]Superb post!

Keep the faith people it's way too early to start panicking yet.
Agree totally,
As to where we finish, anywhere above the drop zone will do for me, anywhere above 15th place would be great.

Does anyone remember Crystal Palace's season 2003/2004. They were in the relegation zone at christmas and ended up winning the playoffs.

Anything can happen its early days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ulysses @ Oct. 02 2006,20:10)]Does anyone remember Crystal Palace's season 2003/2004. They were in the relegation zone at christmas and ended up winning the playoffs.

Anything can happen its early days.
Didn't they

a) Get Andy Johnson back from injury (hmmm, some comparison there)

and

b) Replace thier manager?

wow.gif

Back