• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And so in order -

1) Kightly is injured
2) Wright probably is the player he was with Gillingham which is why he is with us and not someone like Man Utd
3) Did anyone actually think Ranger was a Prem player? He has some Prem qualities, but he was playing - or rather not playing - for Blackpool
4) Wordsworth has a long history of injuries which is why we can afford him. If he was injury free he would be playing at a much higher level
5) We sign who we can afford and that means either a)players at the end of their careers, b) players who are starting out and who MAY make it, or c) damaged goods
6) We have a great team on paper but play on grass

We are a small club. This isn't Football Manager. This is REAL and on our crowds with our budget we get what we can.

There's nothing at all that we can do about it except get behind the team and try and cheer them up the league. Too many however are more interested in booing our own players - because that helps, doesn't it - and calling for the managers head because there are people lining up to take us up into the Championship that would absolutely LOVE to be the manager of Southend United, would be much cheaper, who aren't orange and who don't get distracted from their daily chore job of managing a football team by making media appearances...

I just can't remember their names, but I'm sure someone will, there's loads of them! Lining up they are, outside Ron's office as we speak!

:facepalm:

I really can't disagree with the points you have made but for me it misses the point somewhat. Everything in your list points to the reason we are 9th in a fairly poor league but it does not really pinpoint why so many performances are poor. We seldom look like a unit with a coherent game plan and individually far too many players are consistently performing way below their capabilities. We are not Man U, we are not even the best side in our league but we should be able to play better than we do. I do not suggest we should win so much more but a fluid, cohesive performance on a regular basis, should not be beyond our means. Losing at times is expected but, doing it in such an abject way as we so often do, is unacceptable. Hell, we even win poorly most of the time.

Well, my

[video=youtube;MZjAantupsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA[/video]

I win :smile:

Why, because you never answer the question, all you do is to decry other people posts that you see as having no relevance, according to you.

I don't need to...fbm has given you the perfect answer.

Unfortunately they never are 'questions' are they. When someone does answer and very well, people like you never reply anyway.

Talking of likes, it amuses me how many of the constant moaners rarely like what anyone says.

What was Wright like at Gillingham? Presumably he can't have been their star player otherwise he would have been offered a new contract, we signed him to give us more options in midfield he wasn't signed as a marquee signing.

Claiming we were expecting Ranger to be Prem quality is nonsense, since leaving Newcastle he's been at several league clubs and failed to set the world alight, we all knew he was a massive gamble that (at least before his prison sentence) seemed to be going better than most of us expected. By all means question why we signed him in the first place but let's not rewrite the story.

Wordsworth is injury prone but he's also far more creative than anyone else in the squad, I can't blame Brown for wanting him, the same goes for Turner who has looked quality since coming back. If these players weren't injury prone they wouldn't be with us.

Leonard (and maybe Oxley in this form) aside our team does not look anywhere near the best on paper, there are players in this league that clubs have spent 6 figure fees for, we on the other hand are signing aging free agents. If anything looking at the squad I'd say we're punching above our weight.

Kightly I agree has been disappointing, he's clearly talented but seems to be overthinking things.

i agree with much of what you say there apart from the Wright comment. He was Gills star player having an outstanding season in midfield and leading from the front with ten goals. He was putting in match winning performances and getting about all over the pitch including tigerish defence, winning the ball in midfield and getting forward to score goals. He was assured of the captaincy but this was then not given to him following a management change, which caused some unease. I am sure he will continue to settle in and get better as he also finds the net, as others have said however, we do need occasionally to play him in his favoured position. He slaughtered us and I got to watch him a few times when I couldn't get to my beloved Southend, as i happen to know two families of Gillingham players, who knowing my passion for the game, invite me occasionally to view the Gills and enjoy the hospitality of the players lounge. I also like actually seeing other games from time to time and measuring our opponents

i agree with much of what you say there apart from the Wright comment. He was Gills star player having an outstanding season in midfield and leading from the front with ten goals. He was putting in match winning performances and getting about all over the pitch including tigerish defence, winning the ball in midfield and getting forward to score goals. He was assured of the captaincy but this was then not given to him following a management change, which caused some unease. I am sure he will continue to settle in and get better as he also finds the net, as others have said however, we do need occasionally to play him in his favoured position. He slaughtered us and I got to watch him a few times when I couldn't get to my beloved Southend, as i happen to know two families of Gillingham players, who knowing my passion for the game, invite me occasionally to view the Gills and enjoy the hospitality of the players lounge. I also like actually seeing other games from time to time and measuring our opponents

What is his favoured position?

And so in order -

1) Kightly is injured
2) Wright probably is the player he was with Gillingham which is why he is with us and not someone like Man Utd
3) Did anyone actually think Ranger was a Prem player? He has some Prem qualities, but he was playing - or rather not playing - for Blackpool
4) Wordsworth has a long history of injuries which is why we can afford him. If he was injury free he would be playing at a much higher level
5) We sign who we can afford and that means either a)players at the end of their careers, b) players who are starting out and who MAY make it, or c) damaged goods
6) We have a great team on paper but play on grass

We are a small club. This isn't Football Manager. This is REAL and on our crowds with our budget we get what we can.

There's nothing at all that we can do about it except get behind the team and try and cheer them up the league. Too many however are more interested in booing our own players - because that helps, doesn't it - and calling for the managers head because there are people lining up to take us up into the Championship that would absolutely LOVE to be the manager of Southend United, would be much cheaper, who aren't orange and who don't get distracted from their daily chore job of managing a football team by making media appearances...

I just can't remember their names, but I'm sure someone will, there's loads of them! Lining up they are, outside Ron's office as we speak!

:facepalm:

^
That's a great post, that.

Tell you something, we've got three massive home games coming up and I, for one, am looking forward to them all.

What is his favoured position?

Central midfield. I think he's a very good player. He can score goals from midfield. He's the best when surrounded by players as he seems to make the perfect quick pass out. He can track back and put in a perfectly timed tackle. Best of all tho is his pass completion rate. I mentioned it to my mate sitting next to me that he rarely gives the ball away. So we counted against Oldham, he gave it away once. One bad pass in the whole game is phenomenal for a Division One player involved in a lot of action in midfield. I think he's under rated.
I agree with Kightly tho. He was fantastic against Blackburn in the first game and I thought he would be like that a lot this season. But he's been a massive disappointment. One of the top earners, but we're not getting much in return.

Central midfield. I think he's a very good player. He can score goals from midfield. He's the best when surrounded by players as he seems to make the perfect quick pass out. He can track back and put in a perfectly timed tackle. Best of all tho is his pass completion rate. I mentioned it to my mate sitting next to me that he rarely gives the ball away. So we counted against Oldham, he gave it away once. One bad pass in the whole game is phenomenal for a Division One player involved in a lot of action in midfield. I think he's under rated.
I agree with Kightly tho. He was fantastic against Blackburn in the first game and I thought he would be like that a lot this season. But he's been a massive disappointment. One of the top earners, but we're not getting much in return.

Agreed. A massive disappointment is MK at the moment.

He'll be the first name on the teamsheet when fit though. It's been a huge investment.

Kightly will come good.

I think he needs to just stop trying to do too much. Almost, at times, it's like he maybe feels he needs to do things that will impress everyone and show why he played at a better level, rather than do the simpler things more often.

Back