• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Pier

Manager
Well, Dare I ask.

Your Views and Thoughts as Usual.
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

Great away support.....erm that's it.

Close the office door on your way out PB

Bye Phil.

Yes we lost to a better team and yes were safe, but the teams efforts and performances have been woeful, Brown has to take the blame for that.

Absolutely horrible result for the team's morale and confidence. Coming to a sad end to what has been an ok season. Up till now I've stayed out of the Brown to Bolton debate but all of the noise going on must have affected the players and therefore the way they have approached our last few games. Come on Phil put us out of our misery sooner rather than later, it's getting pathetic now.

Whoever bought the banner is a legend!

I never expected to beat Wigan today but it's the performance that worries me, as it did at Walsall last week when I went. We have no passion or fight and you can't argue that since Lennon was sacked we have been woeful

Apologies for the monologue - was something to do.

Southend band The Owl Service are singing folky laments as I leave sunny Surrey. Good travelling music - broody but quite uplifting - fits my reflective mood. Reading gentle death prose by Banana Yoshimoto. It's all just like a typical opening scene from a football away day movie I guess.

Out of the train window Sandwell & Dudley has some cool spaghetti junction canal thing going on and cute bridges and stuff.

First sight as you leave Wigan North Western station is a cash converter...to be fair Wigan looks alright. Some nice looking buildings and a lot of people wear their Sunday best on a Saturday afternoon. Thought it would be bigger - it's quite a small town, with a LOT of pubs, and a shop that sells 'pie on a barm'. People I speak to are friendly and I love the accent.
The Anvil pub was rammed. Guinness for under £3.

Big stadium for this level (not that they have been at this level that often) and looks like an expansive pitch and what looks like a great playing surface in the sunshine. Nothing distinctive. The graphics on the DW in the seats looks ***** though.

Bentley and Payne the potential contract refuseniks are on the bench - I guess that means Brown is staying or he'd just play his first XI.

2 minutes in and Barnett fails to win the ball and they run right through our defence and get in a shot that Smith palms away. Early wake up call. And we do wake up and chase and close down for 8 minutes till McCann runs through the middle, Smith is a bit slow to get down (harsh?) and we are 1-0 down.

He isn't slow for the next 2 shots he stops and he could say the one that hit the post he had covered but it's only 15 mins gone, maybe a bit too much for his in at the deep end moment. 'Southend's number 1' chant follows with his next shot stop but on 18 minutes the ball hits the post again and he is in the floor for the follow up 2-0.

Positivity dips and 'we are staying up' seems to be barrel scrapping to me. '2-0 and you still don't sing' seems fair in the top of the league quarter full stadium but I have been in quieter grounds.

25 mins Coker puts the ball in the box and there is a mild goal mouth scramble but...meh.

Ball boy behind our goal should be sacked, every time the ball goes out he throws it a little bit closer to Smith than it was already. Your are top of the league and winning you miserable little ****.

35 mins Grigg runs straight through the middle of the defence and a chip over an oncoming Smith 3-0.
I wonder how gutted Bentley and Payne are feeling about being benched? Not very.

White is having a shocker. Some people are vocalising that. 40 Payne and Mooney on, McQueen and Barnett off.

I wish I was watching this on the telly so I could see what was on the other side.

2nd half we looked pretty good for 5 minutes - Payne's pace gave them something to think about and we strung a few paces together. Then a pass out of our defence was intercepted and passed around among players always slightly in front of ours then virtually passed into the net 4-0

Takes them nearly an hour to make any noise and it's only the mocking noise that then generates in our end that shames them into keeping the noise going for a bit.
Doncaster-esque reaction to the big loss in our end but at least it's not 5....it's 5....no, disallowed!

Corner celebrated as if it were a goal - grab what you can. Thinks it's our first and it took an hour. And another. And a great move puts Payne through which leads to another. We are winning.....corners.

And eventually with 15 mins left they score again...in their own net - 4-1 game on!

And for 15 mins we attacked with pace on and off and Payne and Lenny had a couple of shots and Mooney had a shot and we won a lot of corners and a couple of free kicks and despite the black clouds it didn't rain. Some people left early. But they were home fans!

Going out in Islington tonight, I need to perfect my comedy delivery when asked what I've been up to today

'Southend away at Wigan. Yeah we won. A corner. After an hour. But they had 4 goals by then'. Need to get the pauses right for top comedy effect. Sigh.

Today's performance was a disgrace no execuses no effort spirit nothing!! The true fans that went there today are a credit to the club well done to you all!! Respect,

Not that anything different was expected but it was another awful performance, no player can come out of that with any credit apart from perhaps young Ted Smith who was let down by the 10 experienced professionals in front of him.

Our defending was absolutely diabolical with a special mention to John White who was by far the worst player on the pitch, all they had to do was play it down the side of White who was either nowhere to be seen or hopelessly slid in allowing them to just walk past him. The Barrett and Thompson partnership doesn't work so stop using it. Bolger was much better next to Barrett. Coker was very poor and constantly gave the ball away.

The midfield and forwards were non-existent, there's nothing to say about them. We never looked like scoring but Morgan obviously felt sorry for us and gave us a goal.

PB blames our recent form on the speculation around the Bolton job saying it made the players uncertain then goes and stays at Bolton's stadium with them the night before a game. Because that's going to reassure them isn't it you ******* idiot. Most of the Brown Out calls before have been harsh as he's done a decent job and until today I didn't want him to go but it's time he went. The players weren't playing for him today and the Bolton job would be much better for him anyway so just get it over with.

Last edited:
Today's performance was a disgrace no execuses no effort spirit nothing!! The true fans that went there today are a credit to the club well done to you all!! Respect,

I agree that the away support deserves respect especially given the result. Not sure what you mean by true fans, but I'm probably just feeling grumpy after today's score line.

Brown: "I’m not being big headed but it’s the same as what’s happened with Pellegrini."

Remind me again, what happened with Pellegrini ???

Not that anything different was expected but it was another awful performance, no player can come out of that with any credit apart from perhaps young Ted Smith who was let down by the 10 experienced professionals in front of him.

Our defending was absolutely diabolical with a special mention to John White who was by far the worst player on the pitch, all they had to so was play it down the side of White who was either nowhere to be seen or hopelessly slid in allowing them to just walk past him. The Barrett and Thompson partnership doesn't work so stop using it. Bolger was much better next to Barrett. Coker was very poor and constantly gave the ball away.

The midfield and forwards were non-existent, there's nothing to say about them. We never looked like scoring but Morgan obviously felt sorry for us and gave us a goal.

PB blames our recent form on the speculation around the Bolton job saying it made the players uncertain then goes and stays at Bolton's stadium with them the night before a game. Because that's going to reassure them isn't it you ******* idiot. Most of the Brown Out calls before have been harsh as he's done a decent job and until today I didn't want him to go but it's time he went. The players weren't playing for him today and the Bolton job would be much better for him anyway so just get it over with.

Absolutely correct, a very poor performance
Set up for us wasn't correctl, allowed the back (although not at their best) to get overrun
As I bleated on many occasions on here , Brown lost the Changing room long before this Bolton job came up
Ron needs to release him of any obligation and see him on his way
For me Chris Powell to come in and Galvanise a club again
Long way home now
UTB

Back