• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wigan in Administration

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
And it begins! They are the first and certainly won’t be the last. But it’s ok the EFL Chairman says it’s going to all be ok. :Facepalm:

The situation isn't fundamentally down to COVID, but won't have helped. a takeover was agreed 4 weeks ago and ratified by the EFL, so not exactly sure what's gone on with the foreign ownership but rumours related to the current unrest in HK. Also the fact that buying a football club at this moment in time isn't ideal, so they've just cut their losses and pulled the finance out.

It's just a real shame, I'm a ST holder at Latics because my son is football mad and the tickets are dirt cheap to go with some friends and get a live football fix when the blues aren't up this way. It's a well-run family club (in a day to day sense) and they're 9 matches unbeaten with 7 clean sheets in that run, so have really hit some excellent form and have a talented squad a players. I know people like to joke about Wigan having no fans, but they do have fans and from the FA Cup win in 2013 to L1 and then things looking positive again, it's just grim.

Other clubs will see this happen as well, football as a business is completely ****ed.

The EFL are right ****s!

12 point deduction if they don’t get relegated, but if they do get relegated it goes onto their next season.

They really do **** over struggling clubs.

I heard on sky sports that there owners have just stopped putting money into the club. Thats what happened at Sunderland I think as well. Crazy.

Seems like the EFL could not wait to put their threatening statement out. So no support for any clubs going through a difficult time........Good job us supporters will always back and be there for our clubs. Hope Wigan can sort things out as they always seemed like a well run family orientated club to me.

Seems like the EFL could not wait to put their threatening statement out. So no support for any clubs going through a difficult time........Good job us supporters will always back and be there for our clubs. Hope Wigan can sort things out as they always seemed like a well run family orientated club to me.

Unfortunately like many of the well run family orientated clubs they are all selling up to dodgy business people. And the worse thing about it is that the majority don’t know how to run a football club and when they realise they’re haemorrhaging money they run for the hills. Football clubs just become rich peoples play toys that they get bored of. Football really is in a sad state and I don’t think it’s helped itself over the years.

I fear Wigan is the first in a long line of dominoes.

If you’re on Twitter then try and find the thread created explaining why it appears that Wigan have entered administration. It certainly appears that it has nothing to do with cash flow.

If you’re on Twitter then try and find the thread created explaining why it appears that Wigan have entered administration. It certainly appears that it has nothing to do with cash flow.
Is what I'm guessing you are referring to?
Obviously I'm not in a position to fact check this but it's horrendous if it is true.

Frightening how organised crime can pull the wool over the authorities' eyes, make a killing and effectively (for now) get away with it. And at what cost to a community ? [Expletive deleted]

Wow, yet again unfit owners have been allowed to take advantage of lax checking by the EFL. Poor Wigan.

Not saying this to defend the EFL but in any other business the level of checking required would take a year for a takeover. If they suspended games the fans would be equally outraged. As I said, not defending the EFL but it's often a case of a bailout being needed immediately and arguably nothing could be checked that quickly.
I know the Newcastle takeover is taking longer but that's the exception to the rule and has greater reach with the alleged involvement pirating of broadcast content too.
It's equally as unfeasible / unlikely but I always come back to clubs having to have an amount of money held by the EFL (Or someone else) equivalent to x number of months spend to cover scenarios such as these.
In the Wigan case though I can't help but think whatever financial safeguarding is in place if your motives aren't pure they would have been able to find a way.

If it is true then it's one of the most shocking things I've ever heard. Wow.

Back