• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
Flavs 6 solid kicking and good handling on the deck, scary for the high ones though
Hammel 7 good deliveries worth there weight in gold
Clarke 7 got stuck in and strong
Barrett 5 shadow of his former self, didn't win many headers and seems off the boil
Francis 9 absolutely superb up and down the line, heading and tackling, skill on the ball, must keep Hunt out now
Macca 7 crab like first half, came to life second half, worth his place when he is fired up and driving forward
Bailey 7 more like his old self, made some telling tackles
Gower 7 started to tick and guess what, so did the rest, we need him to play well
Black 7 another good game, prefer him in the middle but was again making things happen
Macdonald 6 loads and loads of effort, some good touches but woefully outpaced when favourite to attack the goal, feel he will just be a bit part player but his effort is always an asset
Barnard 9 wow, aggresive, good movement, good touch, quality player and a bargain too. Don't stop running either, get him a decent partner and he will be more useful than Leon Clarke due to the fact he will turn up every week that you can be sure of
Scannell 5 what was that all about, rabbit in headlights, didn't know what to do. Looked lethargic and naive, early days and thrown in to the lions den but he looked bewildered.

Last edited:
Scannell - give the lad a chance, won't you?

Only commenting that he was like a fish out of water having heard good things about him, came on and looked half asleep. Certainly not writing him off but it was just his body language that was strange

Francis 9 absolutely superb up and down the line, heading and tackling, skill on the ball, must keep Hunt out now

Fully agree, if Lewis comes straight back in Francis will be rightly well and truly p***ed.....and to be honest after his display tonight I will be too!!!!!

Yeah lay off the poor lad he has come from leagues below us and needs time to adjust. Think his performances have been in line with what we shuold expect in these early days.

Then he shouldn't have been put on then for a pressure cooker match like this!

I do not think he should have been made to play in the centre, as a winger is great but seemed slighty anxious in the middle. At first thought he was going to go out wide and Black come into the centre alongside Barnie.

agree with most of the ratings apart from

* Clarke should have been a 9 ande MOM, he has the centre forward in his pocket the whole game and won numerous high balls against someone taller and stronger than him
* Flavs should have been a 5 for two terrible attempts at catching a ball which coould have gifted Leeds a goal
* Charlie M was 7/8 for me, worked hard and ran at players. To be fair to him, the ball he received was behind him and that was why he couldnt get away

I do not think he should have been made to play in the centre, as a winger is great but seemed slighty anxious in the middle. At first thought he was going to go out wide and Black come into the centre alongside Barnie.

We expected the same, this would have been like a cup final game for him so why not let him come on in the position he was more comfortable in and switch Black up front? I thought Black and Barnard really worked well together against Barnsley and they showed again tonight some good understanding, better than Barnard had with Gower who is becoming more and more isolated - he either goes on solo runs or no-one connects with his crosses.

Only commenting that he was like a fish out of water having heard good things about him, came on and looked half asleep. Certainly not writing him off but it was just his body language that was strange

Thought he was a rabbit in headlights earlier, now he's a fish. Make your mind up.

Well, for the first time i can say i agree totally with wiggy's observations.

Scannell 5 what was that all about, rabbit in headlights, didn't know what to do. Looked lethargic and naive, early days and thrown in to the lions den but he looked bewildered.

Pretty good summation overall.

Scannell could have done better with the one on one, and when he was out wide he tried to cut to the byline when there wasnt space.

He cetainly didnt look lethargic, was full of energy and running!

However he was getting into the spaces and the fact he managed to get one on one with the keeper when no other striker managed to speaks volumes.

He needs experience and time but I thought he made a good impact when he came on and gave Leeds more to worry about than McDonald did.

It has taken a strange course of events, but again I find myself agreeing almost entirely with Wiggles here. Those of you giving her grief for the low mark for Scannel should remember that they're just ratings on last night's game.

Scannel is new, he's inexperienced, he's made a massive step-up and there are all sorts of reasons to believe he can make an impact for Southend, but it's difficult to deny he had a poor game of it last night. Not that coming on against Leeds United was ever going to be easy...

Last edited:
Baileys first game at the hall was a shocker including a comedy air shot.. I think Scannell has potential

but it's difficult to deny he had a poor game of it last night. ..

Yet he managed to get into dangerous postions without being caught offside (unlike Barnard) and had pace to get a shot off (unlike McDonald).

No he didnt score the one on one, but if the keeper hadnt saved it everyone would be going crazy about what a great game he had.

The fact he got himself into those positions spoke volumes to me.

I wouldnt say he had a poor game at all and looking forward to see more of him.

it made sense him coming on but he almost froze - the game was at an intense level at 80 mins and getting with it would have been difficult for anyone -

he fluffed his chance .....

looked a bit heavy legged which might have been nerves - or the adjusment to training hard full time -

needs a more minutes against lower placed teams

Back