• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

NB - Darryl didn't flap once - but he did use his tecnique of knocking the high ball down and then dropping on it :-)

great ground work by Southends number one -

Yet he managed to get into dangerous postions without being caught offside (unlike Barnard) and had pace to get a shot off (unlike McDonald).

No he didnt score the one on one, but if the keeper hadnt saved it everyone would be going crazy about what a great game he had.

The fact he got himself into those positions spoke volumes to me.

I wouldnt say he had a poor game at all and looking forward to see more of him.

A little unfair I think JM.
As always, it's a game of opinions.

I've never been one of those who thinks someone's had a great game just because they've managed to score. Nor have I slated strikers who have worked hard all game but failed to tuck one away.

I too was impressed by Scannel's running and pace, his ability to stay onside, and his work-rate. As I said in my post, 'there are all sorts of reasons to believe he can make an impact for Southend' and we've done well to bring him in for the money we have.

Overall though, we're discussing a player ratings thread for last night. In my opinion, he'll need to do better than he did last night and I think he will.

It has taken a strange course of events, but again I find myself agreeing almost entirely with Wiggles here. Those of you giving her grief for the low mark for Scannel should remember that they're just ratings on last night's game.

Scannel is new, he's inexperienced, he's made a massive step-up and there are all sorts of reasons to believe he can make an impact for Southend, but it's difficult to deny he had a poor game of it last night. Not that coming on against Leeds United was ever going to be easy...

Don't be embarrased to agree with me Hank, feel proud, it's catching on!

agree with most of the ratings apart from

* Clarke should have been a 9 ande MOM, he has the centre forward in his pocket the whole game and won numerous high balls against someone taller and stronger than him
* Flavs should have been a 5 for two terrible attempts at catching a ball which coould have gifted Leeds a goal
* Charlie M was 7/8 for me, worked hard and ran at players. To be fair to him, the ball he received was behind him and that was why he couldnt get away

agree, thats what i would of said. i thought clarky was awsome and i thought his passing improved dramatically, they werent all woeful long balls that no one could get. if we play like that every game we will comfortly be in the play offs. bring on orient!!

Wiggy, what are you like!? trying to see if we're all objective or just anti-Flav's?

Flav's shaky at a couple of high ones?!?! He came for them, FFS, and, but for a very lenient ref, should have had a foul for the first one at least. He did what we need the 'keeper to do; getting a hand on it stops the forwards getting their heads on it and he'll win free-kicks from most ref's when he does that in other games. All I can fault Flap's for last night was his kicking on a couple of occasions. 6.5 as he had hardly anything else that needed saving.

The rest, I pretty much agree with. Francis was my MOM, Barrett a 6 from my perspective he wasn't too bad but nothing great either.

I too was impressed by Scannel's running and pace, his ability to stay onside, and his work-rate.

This made me laugh so everybody has forgotten the time when he first came on and was yards offside calling for the ball. Only because the ball passed over his head and ended up with Black chasing it did the lino not flag Scannel, now that was shocking positioning for someone who people say is able to stay onside. Most of Scannell's ability to stay onside is his belief in his speed so does not play on the last man's shoulder unlike Barnie. As I said Barnie need his team mate to be more switched on to his running and we will see his offside tally drop.

Also Flav's should have punched a ball clear in the 2nd half rather than his lame palm away which caused a moment of panic in the box.

This made me laugh so everybody has forgotten the time when he first came on and was yards offside calling for the ball. Only because the ball passed over his head and ended up with Black chasing it did the lino not flag Scannel, now that was shocking positioning for someone who people say is able to stay onside....

Maybe so Bob, but that was, as you say, within minutes of coming on.

He certainly improved on this, and while I still think he had a poor game overall, for me, his usefulness when running onto balls over the top and his usefulness in ensuring we at least had a counter-attack to exploit the holes Leeds left at the back somewhat balanced things up.

Surely we all recognise that it was a major step up for him and a tough game for him to come in to.

I agree his running is useful, For the record I do like Scannell but I would prefer him to stay as a winger rather than a forward. I feel this was a contributing factor to his poor game overall.

I agree his running is useful, For the record I do like Scannell but I would prefer him to stay as a winger rather than a forward. I feel this was a contributing factor to his poor game overall.

Completely agree - although it was an interesting throw of the dice by Tilson to put the pace there where it mattered. Who knows just how much our counter-attacking contributed to us keeping a clean sheet at the other end?

I didn't think he was poor last night. He made some great runs and scared the **** out of the Leeds defence at times. He also looked quick and strong.

Completely agree - although it was an interesting throw of the dice by Tilson to put the pace there where it mattered. Who knows just how much our counter-attacking contributed to us keeping a clean sheet at the other end?

The biggest single factor in our clean sheet was Barnard, whose defending from the front was a revelation. Every time he chased 20 yards to close someone down, they gave the ball away.

Yep, Tilly mistake, Black should have gone in the middle as personally would like him to partner Barnard permanently!

Yep, Tilly mistake, Black should have gone in the middle as personally would like him to partner Barnard permanently!

Thank the Lord for that, we can finally get back to disagreeing!

:finger:

When Scannell came on, I assumed that Black would be pushing up, Damian filling in on the wing. For me, it was Scannell's pace to latch on to the many balls played over the top into gaps, coupled with Barnard's defending from the front, that ensured that we didn't just spend the final 20 minutes with Leeds camped in our penalty box. Well played Steve Tilson.

Even if Scannell wasn't able to do too much with the balls in the end (playing out of position), I doubt that a less-mobile Tommy Black would have been able to even get onto them, and the forward balls would have simply come straight back.

Yorkshire Blue said:
The biggest single factor in our clean sheet was Barnard, whose defending from the front was a revelation. Every time he chased 20 yards to close someone down, they gave the ball away.
Not just Barnard, Charlie Mac was the same, and you must have seen Gower chase 50-60 yards right across the pitch in the last couple of minutes.

Not just Barnard, Charlie Mac was the same, and you must have seen Gower chase 50-60 yards right across the pitch in the last couple of minutes.

That's the first time i've ever seen Gower do that much running so late in a game, he was fantastic. I think Scannell was just caught up in the atmosphere and looked very nervous but it's playing in games like that which will help him to progress into profesional football

Exactly MacDonald was also hard working and apparently Revell is more of the same. Our forwards might not be the most prolific in the division, but I think we'll be the team opposition defenders least like facing.

I loved the fact that Barnard's harrying was contagious, and that Gower has sufficiently recovered in confidence from the verbal assault dished out to him by a so-called fan earlier this (or was it last?) season, to chase down the dirty Leeds scum player.

It looks like we are going to have a strike force full of local lads working their socks off. What isn't there to like? Over to you Tony The Kray....

I was very impressed with Gowers attitude last night. Things didn't quite go for him in the 1st half, but you could always see what he was trying to do. 2nd half those things started to come off, and he got a bit of confidence, which the crowd could see, and which gave him a lift. His chase across the pitch towards the end, got huge applause from the West Stand as they could see that he was giving everything.

Back