• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will Atkinson

:Smile: .. I suspect a fast fingered staff member has been online this morning! :Winking:

Came on at half time scored to put Mansfield 3-2upwent on to win 4-2

Came on at half time scored to put Mansfield 3-2upwent on to win 4-2
Remarkably early for him to be getting onto the pitch.Early injuries?Has he actually started any games this season in League 2 ?

Came on as a sub as Mansfields play off semi goes to extra time against Newport.

Shame, as he chose Mansfield as he wanted to play more games. He said he didn't feel wanted or valued by Southend. He was put on the transfer list at the end of the 2017/18 season, but Mansfield couldn't sign the midfielder they were after, so they kept Will. I wonder if he will be part of the clear out this summer.

Shame, as he chose Mansfield as he wanted to play more games. He said he didn't feel wanted or valued by Southend. He was put on the transfer list at the end of the 2017/18 season, but Mansfield couldn't sign the midfielder they were after, so they kept Will. I wonder if he will be part of the clear out this summer.
I would think that is a nailed on certainty - feel sorry for him!

Shame, as he chose Mansfield as he wanted to play more games. He said he didn't feel wanted or valued by Southend.

I find that strange, Phil Brown had signed him at more than one club and he'd been his "go to" for when he wanted reliability and stability. He was out of contract when he went, which coincided with Payne's breakthrough IIRC and clearly thought he wouldn't get games as Lenny and Tims were both ahead of him, and must have thought Jack would be too.

I find that strange, Phil Brown had signed him at more than one club and he'd been his "go to" for when he wanted reliability and stability. He was out of contract when he went, which coincided with Payne's breakthrough IIRC and clearly thought he wouldn't get games as Lenny and Tims were both ahead of him, and must have thought Jack would be too.

It was the allure of Steve Evans.

After we finished 7th, I think Will along side Adam Thompson was fully aware that they were not fans favourites. They were top of the "We need to upgrade list."

So can't blame them for taking more money at another club. Turns out he joins the list of players who 'peaked' under PB.

It was on the end of this article I read.
In July 2013, Atkinson signed a two-year contract with Southend, reuniting him with his former Hull City boss Phil Brown. He was an ever-present in the league for the Shrimpers in the 2013-14 season, and helped the club to secure a play-off spot, where they were beaten by Burton Albion at the semi-final stage. He was a first team regular in the 2014-15 campaign as United again secured a play-off place, and played the first 80 minutes of the play-off final as Southend beat Wycombe Wanderers to win promotion into League One. He signed a new two-year contract in June 2015, and went on to make 39 appearances in the 2015-16 campaign as Southend posted a 15th-place finish. Atkinson scored four goals in 41 games in the 2016-17 season as United finished in seventh place, one place and one point outside the play-offs. He chose to leave the club in the summer after feeling that he "Wasn’t made to feel valued or wanted by Southend"

Last edited:
Will on Twitter tonight, moving on from Mansfield.

Attachments

• 429DE3FA-5643-4D49-A83A-1D0B35789C79.png
    429DE3FA-5643-4D49-A83A-1D0B35789C79.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 110
Will on Twitter tonight, moving on from Mansfield.

Nice to see he's still got our Play Off promotion pic at the top of his Twitter profile. Wish him well, lovely bloke and very much under-valued by many.

To be honest with what we have I could take him back for a year. We need someone who will run all day in midfield.

Nice to see he's still got our Play Off promotion pic at the top of his Twitter profile. Wish him well, lovely bloke and very much under-valued by many.

About this time 2 years ago a female fan of Will, asked me to get a large photo signed by him. So I was caught out like everyone else when he signed for Mansfield. I thought about faking his signature (joke) but in the end Will sorted it all out with some messages and by post. At his expense and much to her delight.

I had a good chat with him once (two days after he was sent off at Millwall) He was looking a bit unhappy to say the least but seemed genuinely pleased that a fan understood what he was all about.

I get the fact that the likes of Will don't make peoples favourite lists but can never accept why some dislike players who always give you 100% effort. Yes we all expect it but very rarely get it. So I always appreciate the likes of Will.

In the season we had that great run before Christmas and finished 7th after a couple of injuries. The combination Demetriou and Atkinson went about 17 games where we conceded just 1 goal down our right hand side.

Spot on Rigsby, he was a real engine in that midfield. Less obvious than Lenny or Tims, but a really hard worker, and, as I said and you've just re-iterated, a really nice bloke.

One of the most under rated players in Southend history. A really nice bloke too, I was genuinely gutted when he left.

One of those genuine players who always gave his all but in reality is no better than an average Division 2 player. Will be interesting if he manages to stay with an EFL club or drops into non league.

Back