• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will Bond's rejig stabilise Southend?

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
" Will Bond’s rejig stabilise Southend?
Southend survived by the skin of their teeth last season so, determined to avoid that kind of final-day drama this time around, Kevin Bond has added to his coaching staff. The former Bournemouth defender has appointed Gary Waddock, the former Aldershot manager, as his No 2, and the former Bulgaria striker Svetoslav Todorov, who Bond worked with alongside Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth in 2002, as the first-team coach."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/27/bielsa-bury-bolton-football-league-new-season

Let's hope so.Anyway it was interesting to see us get a (shortish) mention in the Observer.No mention of our rather under-whelming new (player) signings I notice.

" Will Bond’s rejig stabilise Southend?
Southend survived by the skin of their teeth last season so, determined to avoid that kind of final-day drama this time around, Kevin Bond has added to his coaching staff. The former Bournemouth defender has appointed Gary Waddock, the former Aldershot manager, as his No 2, and the former Bulgaria striker Svetoslav Todorov, who Bond worked with alongside Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth in 2002, as the first-team coach."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/27/bielsa-bury-bolton-football-league-new-season

Let's hope so.Anyway it was interesting to see us get a (shortish) mention in the Observer.No mention of our rather under-whelming new (player) signings I notice.

Have any other clubs in our division signed someone who was an ever present for their country in last year’s World Cup?

We’re fortunate in that two clubs find themselves in administration and struggling to get any semblance of a squad together which means we’ll most likely only have to worry about the other two berths. Remains to be seen whether the new signings pull up any trees, but I expect us to be somewhere around middle to lower end of league one come April.

I quite like it when we are seen as relegation fodder before the season even starts (by some of our own supporters it would seem) makes me enjoy watching them eat a large slice of humble pie even more.

How did that work out last season?

Watching today’s training session it did strike me that the camaraderie of the CP time was missing.

I’m not doubting that KB is a great coach, but it seems very low key and the players didn’t seem to be enjoying themselves as they did in CP training sessions, with the banter that I’d seen before.

I guess results will be the deciding factor...

Watching today’s training session it did strike me that the camaraderie of the CP time was missing.

I’m not doubting that KB is a great coach, but it seems very low key and the players didn’t seem to be enjoying themselves as they did in CP training sessions, with the banter that I’d seen before.

I could be very, very wrong, but for me I think that Powell was far too lenient and laid back with the players. They were probably on a jolly with him in charge.

Wasn’t there today but noticed the same at the friendlies I attended. It didn’t look a happy camp. Maybe it’ll settle down once all the triallists move on and the squad settles down.

Under CP they were not taking the training serious enough. His laid back approach was a contributing factor to his departure, imo.

Absolutely fine, we stayed up.

I think that’s a bit of a blasé comment. We were ridiculously fortunate beyond belief, mere minutes from relegation, and I'm sorry, but I don’t think that qualifies your scoffing at those who may have predicted relegation.

I can’t remember what I predicted last year, but i don’t think relegation. If i had (or did), I wouldn’t be eating any humble pie for the way we closed up last season, no way!

Also, if some predicted relegation, and you predicted anything above lower table, who had the more accurate prediction to your mind? What was your prediction?

I think you have answered your own post.

At MTB last pre-season the players had come off a very good finish to the season, some good upgrades (on paper) in the squad, settled and expecting happy days ahead BUT this season after very hard, crunching finish to the season, a rocky ship, uncertainty, wobbly finance rumours, loss of back room, coaching changes etc it is getting serious straight from the off with a very hard start with away games at Cov and Lincoln, with a Posh home game, all 3 believed to be promotion/play off sides.............not easy.

I could be very, very wrong, but for me I think that Powell was far too lenient and laid back with the players. They were probably on a jolly with him in charge.

Yes, I too get the impression that Bond will expect the players to be a much harder working team than we saw for most of last season.

I think that’s a bit of a blasé comment. We were ridiculously fortunate beyond belief, mere minutes from relegation, and I'm sorry, but I don’t think that qualifies your scoffing at those who may have predicted relegation.

I can’t remember what I predicted last year, but i don’t think relegation. If i had (or did), I wouldn’t be eating any humble pie for the way we closed up last season, no way!

Also, if some predicted relegation, and you predicted anything above lower table, who had the more accurate prediction to your mind? What was your prediction?

I don't make predictions concerning how well or not we are going to do but when a certain troll posts a link to The Guardian then it's a pretty fair assumption that's it going to be designed to get a rise and **** people off. I agree, last season was dross but we were crippled by injuries and as much as I love him, CP just wasn't the saviour we all hoped for.

I see no reason why KB can't turn our fortunes around and that will be boosted by players returning from injury and a couple of shrewd signings. I'll settle for a top half finish this season, with our budget anything better will be a bonus.

I don't make predictions concerning how well or not we are going to do but when a certain troll posts a link to The Guardian then it's a pretty fair assumption that's it going to be designed to get a rise and **** people off. I agree, last season was dross but we were crippled by injuries and as much as I love him, CP just wasn't the saviour we all hoped for.

I see no reason why KB can't turn our fortunes around and that will be boosted by players returning from injury and a couple of shrewd signings. I'll settle for a top half finish this season, with our budget anything better will be a bonus.
Thank god for a bit of optimisiom

As manager and coach he is not there to be loved by the players. But he was of the opinion that under Powell his players as a group were not fit enough. Hopefully, by showing that he has much experience in the coaching roll, he will gain respect from the team. In the Millwall game I could see an improvement on last year. It takes time to change things. He has signed three very good players, I like quality over quantity and with luck we might well add Joe Shaughnessy, who upon seeing his first 90 minutes for us, would I am sure, be a wonderful addition to our team.

The banter era is over. Blues are embracing the 'new seriousness'.

Bookies rarely lose money so I'm fervently hoping that this betting site's preview of each side in League One which puts us 4-1 for relegation (in 22nd place with only Bolton and Bury -minus 12 points each- below us) is one of those rare occasions where they are badly wrong.......

https://tinyurl.com/y4d4ly3b

I have predicted a mid table finish (unfortuinately I am never right).

Back