• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will Freedman be here next season ?

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
To start things off I don't want this to turn into another 'Freedman is overrated' thread.

I was surpised to see Dougie given a start against Oldham last weekend especially as it meant we left our top scorer on the bench.

So he had to come off at half time with his thigh having 'tightened up' again.

In his last few sub appearnaces against Leicester and MK Dons I was quite dissapointed in his performances is he not 100% who knows ?, too many little flicks that wernt coming off. When we're chasing the game it's best to get the ball on the floor and get back to basics.

Freedman has only played 18 times from a possible 46 games and in total has been out injured for a longer period than Lee 'Porcelain' Barnard.

We have seen glimpses of his quality this season, when he pulls off the flicks and tricks he looks a class above but when they dont you look a bit silly. His goal against Bristol Rovers showed great composure, plenty of L1 strikers would have panicked seeing an on coming goalkeeper and smashed it into his chest.

For the record I am a big Freedman fan and hopefully he can get himself 100% fit over pre season and play a much bigger and better part next season.

But I just wonder if the club or Dougie himself will look at it differently, maybe he'll consider hanging up his boots, I know he's said the few times he's been on 'Big League Weekend' that he wants to carry on playing but you have to listen to your body.

Or will the club tear up his contract ? I don't know what sort of money he is on. but can we afford to pay a striker who is injured for 3/4 of the season ?

He couldn't have played all 46 games as he didn't join us until September.

I think he'll play at least one more season.

Let's hope the close season cures all his injury problems and he comes back fighting fit.

Personally i'd prefer to see him in a backstage role, rather than a first team role. The guy is obviously well past it in terms of fitness. I can't see the reasoning in paying him (probable) top wages whereas i'd rather see us paying wages to someone who will play/be fit for more than 70%-80% of games. Freedman was good in his prime, but that is not the same freedman as we have now. Time to realise the guy is costing us a lot, with little return. A backstage role would be ideal, but the question is, would he take a big paycut? Afterall this is is last payday

Personally i'd prefer to see him in a backstage role, rather than a first team role. The guy is obviously well past it in terms of fitness. I can't see the reasoning in paying him (probable) top wages whereas i'd rather see us paying wages to someone who will play/be fit for more than 70%-80% of games. Freedman was good in his prime, but that is not the same freedman as we have now. Time to realise the guy is costing us a lot, with little return. A backstage role would be ideal, but the question is, would he take a big paycut? Afterall this is is last payday

:clap: A rational post on a subject I know we've had major disagreements over and fwiw I agree that I think the time has come for him to accept that his body is not up to the punishment of playing week in, week out in a challenging league. I think he still has a lot to offer though, both on and off the field, and I'd like to see him used in coaching off the field and as an impact sub on it. It is no coincidence that so many of our young players cite him as a big influence, and if he can inspire them to better performances then that has to be for the best. I'd actually like to see him and Ricky Duncan working in tandem with the Youth and the Reserves.

1 more season maybe 2 and then player/coach for a season and then coach. Can see him moving on after 1 or 2 seasons as a coach here but he is a great player to have around the place and he may not be the player he once was but reading interviews nearly every players says about how much they have learnt from him being around. He isn't any worse than James Walker and is probably about level with Revs now but just lacks the fitness and unlike Revs he has the ability to make something out of nothing and he hasn't really played enough when fit to show it this season but he has played very well at times (Leyton Orient at home anyone?), he is worth having around, can't see him going either.

A fit dougie is potentially our best player, dont forget his early form with us was very good and he looked like a quality signing early doors, if he has a good pre season and stays fit he could be the man.

I think he will still be here, just hope we can keep our strikes fit next season this year has been a nightmare on that front!

I think he will still be here, just hope we can keep our strikes fit next season this year has been a nightmare on that front!

spot on barney has proved that he can score goals when playing, as did dougie when he came on the scene, I am 100% certain that if these two had just played another dozen matches then we would be in the play offs right now.

Freedman will have filled this season away under the "disappointing" section in his playing career, and he hasn't had many of them.

He will want to play next season to show his doubters that his still up for the job, which he is. When his fit and firing his one of our best players of that there can be no doubt.

The reason his picked up so many injuries this season is because his been rushed back from his first injury vs Orient. The reason for that is during the season we have had Barnard, Revell, Laurent, Walker, Furlong and Ademeno all out injured. Look back to Cheltenham away as an example, one fit striker. Laurent has played when not 100%, Barny has done it, and Freedman have done it. It hasn't happened as much recently as Theo appears to be the only fit forward.

Freedman doesn't have an awful injury record, until this season. I'd leave him out of the squad on Saturday, even if his 95% fit. He needs to get himself fully fit, and have a full pre-season behind him. Once he does that, we will all be raving about him.

As it stands at the moment we have too many strikers in the squad, even taking into account Theo returning to Watford. I would like to see no more than four forwards in the squad at the start of next season, one of which hopefully will be a new signing (ideally Robinson!!).
This would mean at least one, maybe two of Laurent, Barnard, Revell, Walker & Freedman will be leaving and I think there is a strong possibility that Dougie, given his injury record and age, could well be on his way.

As it stands at the moment we have too many strikers in the squad, even taking into account Theo returning to Watford. I would like to see no more than four forwards in the squad at the start of next season, one of which hopefully will be a new signing (ideally Robinson!!).
This would mean at least one, maybe two of Laurent, Barnard, Revell, Walker & Freedman will be leaving and I think there is a strong possibility that Dougie, given his injury record and age, could well be on his way.

I get the feeling(I hope to be proved wrong) that laurent was a flash in the pan, looked like a world beater against leeds and scored goals the following month or so, then it kind of disapeared, I know he also got injured etc but for me I think he needs to pull his finger out and show us some of that va va voom, walker can play wide and always handy to have players who can switch about and with barneys injury record cover will always be needed for him, freedman(when fit) would be first choice for me

spot on barney has proved that he can score goals when playing, as did dougie when he came on the scene, I am 100% certain that if these two had just played another dozen matches then we would be in the play offs right now.

But that is the whole point. Unfortunately freedman's body cannot cope with it anymore. His legs are shot to pieces and he picks up injuries too easy. It's nothing to do with him getting a decent pre-season. That will only increase stamina. When dougie takes a knock, his body will be damaged more than a younger players would. It is just part and parcel of getting old. The reason he hasn't played a dozen more games is because it is harder for him to recover these little knocks. therefore, i cannot see how next season this will be any different?

And the major issue is; do we want to be forking out wages for a player who is only going to play/be fit for 30% of the season.

But that is the whole point. Unfortunately freedman's body cannot cope with it anymore. His legs are shot to pieces and he picks up injuries too easy. It's nothing to do with him getting a decent pre-season. That will only increase stamina. When dougie takes a knock, his body will be damaged more than a younger players would. It is just part and parcel of getting old. The reason he hasn't played a dozen more games is because it is harder for him to recover these little knocks. therefore, i cannot see how next season this will be any different?

And the major issue is; do we want to be forking out wages for a player who is only going to play/be fit for 30% of the season.

but dougies problem was not 'a knock' he had damaged a muscle in his thigh and rushed his comeback(twice) thus setting him back X amount of matches, his previous injury record is not one worthy of much attention and I think(hope) that this season and his injury were a one off

Yes, in an ideal world, 4 would be the right number to go into the season with, but I don't think Tilson will go with that.

He likes forward players and I think he will go into the new season with 5 maybe even 6 strikers. I think we will go in with Freedman, Barnard, Laurent, Revell plus one which hopefully will be Robinson. That gives you an ideal mixture of forwards. You have the experience, the goal poacher, the unpredictability, the target man and the pacey forward.

When and if he wants to become a coach, he'l most probably go back up and help at Palace. They worship him there.

Freedman will have filled this season away under the "disappointing" section in his playing career, and he hasn't had many of them.

He will want to play next season to show his doubters that his still up for the job, which he is. When his fit and firing his one of our best players of that there can be no doubt.

The reason his picked up so many injuries this season is because his been rushed back from his first injury vs Orient. The reason for that is during the season we have had Barnard, Revell, Laurent, Walker, Furlong and Ademeno all out injured. Look back to Cheltenham away as an example, one fit striker. Laurent has played when not 100%, Barny has done it, and Freedman have done it. It hasn't happened as much recently as Theo appears to be the only fit forward.

Freedman doesn't have an awful injury record, until this season. I'd leave him out of the squad on Saturday, even if his 95% fit. He needs to get himself fully fit, and have a full pre-season behind him. Once he does that, we will all be raving about him.

The reason for this is, for the last few seasons he hasn't been played a lot. Leeds mainly sub. Palace mainly sub. It has nothing to do with his 'fitness'. He could probably run around all day. The problem, like i stated, is his body can't take it anymore. A niggling knock to a youngster is a month out for dougie. Look at walker. Been out for months with a hamstring, If dougie had an injury like that next season it could be career over, but we'd still have to pay him his wages.
I know you WANT him to be prolofic and succeed, as do I, but i think he's finished, which is unfortunate.

but dougies problem was not 'a knock' he had damaged a muscle in his thigh and rushed his comeback(twice) thus setting him back X amount of matches, his previous injury record is not one worthy of much attention and I think(hope) that this season and his injury were a one off

I wouldn't say 'rushed' back.I'll think you'll find his injuries will not heal because his body is too old. Therefore it might seem like he is being rushed back, but thats just another way of saying 'sorry dougie, we can't wait 5 months for you to recover from dead leg'.

I wouldn't say 'rushed' back.I'll think you'll find his injuries will not heal because his body is too old. Therefore it might seem like he is being rushed back, but thats just another way of saying 'sorry dougie, we can't wait 5 months for you to recover from dead leg'.

Being a medical professional I can say that a dead leg is very different from a damaged muscle, especially a muscle as large as one of the quads, you are right in that a younger man may recover faster but the speed in which we heal varies from person to person regardless of age, so Ill think youll find that his body is not too old he just had a bu**er of an awkward injury

The reason for this is, for the last few seasons he hasn't been played a lot. Leeds mainly sub. Palace mainly sub. It has nothing to do with his 'fitness'. He could probably run around all day. The problem, like i stated, is his body can't take it anymore. A niggling knock to a youngster is a month out for dougie. Look at walker. Been out for months with a hamstring, If dougie had an injury like that next season it could be career over, but we'd still have to pay him his wages.
I know you WANT him to be prolofic and succeed, as do I, but i think he's finished, which is unfortunate.

Yes, injuries take longer to heal with older players, but the fact that its the same injury over and over again suggests to me we or himself is rushing back to soon.

Barnard admitted that was the problem with him, and we have been more careful with him, and he hasn't rushed himself back.

If Freedman picked up a thigh strain, then an ankle injury, then a hip injury, then a shoulder injury etc etc I'd be worried, but because its the same one over and over again its through being rushed back.

His last game was 25th April, our first game next season is 8th August which is around 4 months away. That will give him plenty of time to rest up, and get this injuried cleared up for good.

Back