• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Will Saturday hurt?

Lester Bangs

Manager
Seeing the football leagues back in action this Saturday without Southend in the mix has sort of brought it all back home again in terms of our (or lack of) footballing status.

Just wondering how others are feeling? Have you put last season into the past and accepted our fate? Looking forward to the season ahead with the excitement of being able to visit new grounds and to face new experiences our current predicament allows.

Or are you still finding it difficult to come to terms with no longer being part of the four professional leagues system and the finding the whole ordeal rather difficult?

As stated above it's the latter for me. Saying that I'll shine it on and what with being able to watch Southend from the terraces again I'm rather looking forward to seeing the mighty Shrimpers in the flesh again and lets hope the season to come will be one of only successes.

Will be a very strange feeling come this Saturday. To be really honest I don’t know still how I feel. It’s kind of a mixture of sadness mixed with the excitement of a new season. I think regardless of league I still get that excitement from a new season.

How I will feel as the season progresses will have obviously be dictated by results. I think what will really drive it home for me will be the FA Cup. If we miraculously get into the first round we could be drawn against a league side and be the “plucky” underdogs. I think that will grate on me a little. Oh well. Here we go. Not long to go now.

Without promotion & relegation, the league system would be largely meaningless.

So logically, if you are happy to be involved in the joyous emotions that promotion bring, you should also be mature enough to realise that relegation is there as a possibility and has to be accepted .............. well, that's what I say to myself anyway. ?

still really bitter and angry ....

hate looking at my SUFC anorak and shirts - don't wear them out ...

can't face going to a game

don't talk about it

no interest in football talk in any social situation

hoping to be reconciled to going to watch NON LEAGUE football before the end of the season ..

I used to love Roots Hall - now it looks like a non league sh=t hole ..

Can't stand the lovely people who don't mind non league

I have stopped myself thinking about that bunch of clowns who mugged us into giving them money to "manage" a football club.

I am going to spend my season ticket ,money on therapy and anger management.

Last time I opened my laptop on the Zone it showed page with a poll where everyone was in favour of keeping MM .... DESPAIR ....

Do people sing at non league football ?

Do all grounds have friendly little clubhouses where you have a beer and a chat with a weirdo who has been home and way with Toytown United since 1948 ..

Soz - going off for treatment ..

Personally think we need to get used to it for the next 5-10 years.

The club needs a massive overhaul and if we do fail to bounce back this year or next, things will only get worse financially and we may need to give up on getting back to the EFL short term.
Yes agree it's not going to be a good few years.

I think it's losing The 101 consecutive years in the football league that bothers me. We won't get that back

Looking forward to playing in the national league! We are expected to do well and hopfully win more games then loose lol! Also league 2 is slowly becoming another national league when u look at the majority of the clubs in there!! Dont get me wrong I'd rather be in the football league but it's going to be nice experiencing playing in a different league and against different teams.

Good thread. I've accepted the situation and to be honest we didn't have much of a chance of survival in hindsight. I remember a post prior to the season comparing/constrasting the squad to the one we had when we were promoted in the play-offs, and it painted a horrific picture of the struggle we would face, not to mention other posts suggesting that our survival would depend on whether there were two clubs in a worse state. Sadly not.

To this day I remain gutted for MM. He was appointed way, way too late and the little preparation time he had was crushed by losing Humphrys, Kelman and Hutchinson within the first month, leaving us with a blunt attack. He then signed a decent forward in Akinola but couldn't play him for several weeks.

MM wasn't blameless but by creating a solid base and trying to nick games - horrible to watch but sometimes effective - he gradually hauled us back into contention to escape but sadly it wasn't enough.

PB took over for the final six games and although he had a free hit from me, unlike some other posters I think the notion of our performances improving was a tad exaggerated. We played on the front foot more but only won two of the six games, and our performance against Colchester was unacceptable (did he ever provide the reason that he claimed would?). Watching EFL on Quest will be tough now that we are no longer in the EFL but will probably continue to do so.

Still, despite the doom and gloom, I'm still very much looking forward to this season, and hopefully we'll still get decent crowds. I can't wait to get back frankly. This season is all about stabilising like Sturrock's first season and anything more than that is a bonus.

Forest Green are at home to Sutton on Saturday in the league and we are scratching around hoping to sign a cast off from Gillingham. I'm excited to listen to Blues play when that happens - it's a link to where I grew up and my friends and family, but this non-league thing is the absolute ****s. I just hope and pray that we **** this division and have these mickey mouse ****arama ****ters acknowledge us as the only real class at this level.

When we were in FL1 last time I ignored the divisions above and FL2. When we dropped to FL2, same deal. Ignore those above and nothing below to worry about. Now we are about to commence our adventure in the National League, anything above it is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. I'm actually getting quite excited at the prospect of our season kicking off. Contrary to what some have said, we need to treat every team with respect as we will not walk this league, and if we make the play-offs I will be super excited. It is Southend after all.

Will be strange not seeing sufc in the efl! But let's be honest it's what they deserve...... you can't be going into league season under an embargo and with handful of first team players left with no manager. Ron thought he could chance it and sign players in January to secure safety. Problem was no 1 who half decent would entertain a move to sufc! Onto the here and now, national league will bring new challenge but it won't be easy 1, I still feel we are short in certain areas to make us competitive for play off push..... but I do have more hope with Brown compared to MM. I'm intrigued to see what this season brings.

I’m looking at the national league as the old fourth division to soften the blow.

Non league back in the day was full of semi pro teams whereas this one is pretty much all pros with a lot more history etc than many clubs in the ones above us.

With that in mind, a bunch of new grounds and a new beginning im feeling ok with it, there isn’t much difference in this league and league 2 except the national league is a lot more Southern.
Bring it on i say!.

Back