• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Will Saturday hurt?

A member of my family lives in Cheltenham and her husband supports/follows the Robins (he is more of a follower these days as he is over 80 years old and therefore doesn’t attend many matches). For many years during the football season he and I have spoken on the phone on Sunday mornings sharing our views of the previous day’s matches involving our respective clubs. It doesn’t seem that long ago he would be relating stories of Cheltenham’s exploits in the NL, or Conference as was. He has always regarded us as a more successful club and envied our average attendances, as theirs just about scrape the 3,000 mark. It hurt me today to see them playing in League 1 and us still debating what squad we will be able to scrape together to attempt to compete in the NL.

Despite their low attendances, financially Cheltenham seem to be/have been managed prudently. They have no ideas above their station, enjoying success when it comes along but taking failure on the chin almost in acceptance that a club with their level of support can only hope to hang on to EFL status for so long.

I expect I will get a phone call in the morning. He will ask me how our pre-season is going and quite frankly I just don’t know what to say as we don’t appear to have resolved very much.

This is how much it hurts.

Oxley .... did that no mans land ball watching hitting the back of he net thing - plus abit 9f grass thumping ..

Dieng looked garceful -

Hutch - was on the telly

Jack payne was busy

88 places between where we are now & top of the Championship after beatingNewcastle 4-0 1st Jan 1992.

Yes, it hurts☹️

can someone tell me why the conference is starting later - apart from saying well it is!
The Conference didn’t start last season until October because of the pandemic and therefore last season‘s league matches didn’t finish until the end of May. The play off final was the middle of June.

Hence the late start to this season.

It felt really weird yesterday. I had Soccer Saturday on and I just didn't feel part of it. I nomally watch it and enjoy the build up and then watch the live scores come in. Yesterday I felt as flat as a pancake!

I really need to get back to RH. I haven't bothered with the friendlies as I generally dislike them. So I haven't been to Roots Hall since our last game before the season was ended abruptly, against Bristol Rovers in March last year. I feel like there is one big football party going on and I haven't been invited! :Sad:

I am hoping that once I get back in August I will feel that connection again because at the moment I don't feel it.

It felt really weird yesterday. I had Soccer Saturday on and I just didn't feel part of it. I nomally watch it and enjoy the build up and then watch the live scores come in. Yesterday I felt as flat as a pancake!

I really need to get back to RH. I haven't bothered with the friendlies as I generally dislike them. So I haven't been to Roots Hall since our last game before the season was ended abruptly, against Bristol Rovers in March last year. I feel like there is one big football party going on and I haven't been invited! :Sad:

I am hoping that once I get back in August I will feel that connection again because at the moment I don't feel it.

Se a bit of really low level local football, that's what we did yesterday in the hope that come the day we are back watching the Shrimpers we might be impressed. Oh, and MTBD next Sunday should help too

I agree with you, I tried very hard to avoid football all day. Partially succeeded, but couldn't resist looking at the Ipswich score. Really wanted Morecambe to win and they nearly did.

This coming Saturday Stowmarket Town v Canvey Island, should give Stowmarket a fair indication of what to expect in the coming season.

Anyway see you on the 28th.

I agree with you, I tried very hard to avoid football all day. Partially succeeded, but couldn't resist looking at the Ipswich score. Really wanted Morecambe to win and they nearly did.

This coming Saturday Stowmarket Town v Canvey Island, should give Stowmarket a fair indication of what to expect in the coming season.

Anyway see you on the 28th.
Yeah, looking forward to seeing you on the 28th.

Didn't hurt at all, just blocked it all out, only watched the Charity Shield.

The BBC website on football has an excellent piece about the rise of Brentford to Premiership and the parlous state of the club in 2007. It brings into sharp focus just how much our paths have diverged. They have completed the sort of journey which Ron must have dreamed about, not the nightmare scenario of non-league football we are about to sample after consecutive relegations amid continues financial difficulties. Good luck to them.

Nothing I have seen or heard these past few weeks makes me feel optimistic for the short term, just the same as the last few years, where is the positivity from the club with the new signings?

The BBC website on football has an excellent piece about the rise of Brentford to Premiership and the parlous state of the club in 2007. It brings into sharp focus just how much our paths have diverged. They have completed the sort of journey which Ron must have dreamed about, not the nightmare scenario of non-league football we are about to sample after consecutive relegations amid continues financial difficulties. Good luck to them.

Very similar size clubs. Shows how quality of ownership can lead to very different paths.

Rather like looking at a house which you could no longer afford to live in. Seeing the new people in residence enjoying themselves and experiencing what you used to experience. In brief, YES, it hurts like hell.
It's already so difficult to adapt but even more so when you fear that the problems which have haunted us for previous seasons may still be present

I’m looking at the national league as the old fourth division to soften the blow.

Non league back in the day was full of semi pro teams whereas this one is pretty much all pros with a lot more history etc than many clubs in the ones above us.

With that in mind, a bunch of new grounds and a new beginning im feeling ok with it, there isn’t much difference in this league and league 2 except the national league is a lot more Southern.
Bring it on i say!.
If I could watch our matches on iFollow I think I could live with it.Otherwise I hope our stay will be as short as possible.

It's weird to think we used to play teams like Brentford, Brighton etc when we were all in the third division and now they are 4 divisions above us

It's weird to think we used to play teams like Brentford, Brighton etc when we were all in the third division and now they are 4 divisions above us
When I first came across sufc they were in Division 1 and sides like Brighton and Fulham were Division 3. Admittedly was like 25 years ago..... when things go wrong at sufc they really do go wrong!

Back