• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
Thinking back to comments that Tara made in the radio interviews regarding the wage budget and the consequent expectation to be in (or close to) the top 6, I do have to wonder whether Paul is going to be under pressure to get promotion next year.

Now I personally think Paul has done a brilliant job this season to get a team together and achieve a respectable finish considering the doom and gloom following last season. Whether Tara and Ron will see it like that I'm not so sure.

If Sturrock fails to deliver next year would that be it for him at Southend?

I think there will be more expectation to do well next season, both from the fans and the boardroom. All the excuses made for the squad this year will no longer hold true, and in fact, the total opposite will apply - they will be a settled squad, they will have a full pre-season and there's comparatively more stability off the pitch.

Of course he will be. Taling southend to their lowest league in 7 years and given a bkank
Canvas to work on unlike tilly and his boasts about having a squad
Good enough for promotion means we have to get pronotion
Otherwise gyosy boy and martin will get
Rid of him. Next season with much bigger teams than us in this division
Bottom half nearer to the relegatuon spiots than automatic spots will not be an option

Anything less than a top 7 challenge will be a failure in my opinion. I'm sure the board, manager, players and the majority of the fan base will agree with that.

No question he has done a phenomenal job this season, However with his own team in his own time and a whole pre season as Smiffy says top 7 has to be the min

At least win the title, Johnstone's Paint trophy and Essex Senior Cup.

Also Sammy the Shrimp to win that mascot race thingy in new world record time.

Less than this should be considered naughty.

I think this is the first time in my Southend supporting years that we truly expect a top 6 finish if not automatic promotion. But it isn't going to be easy, with Crawley coming up with all their money, Luton probably coming up, Swindon, Plymouth and Bristol coming down and wanting to go straight back up. Not only those teams but also the teams who have failed this year. It wont be easy but we can do it, purely for the reason our squad is very familiar with each other and the belief that is surrounding the club at this time.

At least win the title, Johnstone's Paint trophy and Essex Senior Cup.

Also Sammy the Shrimp to win that mascot race thingy in new world record time.

Less than this should be considered naughty.
Now we play in pink...... if he did it naked that might speed him up a bit!!!!

Yes because he will have the opportuniy to clear out the crap (a process he has already started) and bring in more of his own players, some of whom Im sure will be players who have previously played under him and therefore he knows their character, strengths/weaknesses etc. However, much will depend on whether we can hold onto the likes of Kane, Grant, Hall, Mohsni. If we can, and add some better attacking players then top 7 should be the minimum expectation. We have not been battered by anyone this season and the players have certainly not let the club down in terms of work ethic and character, just need a bit more quality at both ends of the pitch.

Have to be realistic its going to be a tougher league next season 3 of the 4 relegated teams will likely challenge and its hard to see Crawley just with their present team let alone bringing in a few more players not winning League 2 plus if its Luton going up as well they will likely be up thre and then there is all the other teams who were up there this season. I think we have to be realstic and just hope for getting in the play offs.

Its all very good saying 'clear out the dead wood' & 'rebuilding for next season', but unless PS has more money than this season I can't see how we are suddenly going to attract better players. I wonder how the season ticket sales went? Lets face it they wont sell many more now the discount period has ended so they must have a rough idea of the playing budget.

Once again our first target has to be survival, because until we actually see what sort of players we get in then all this talk of play-offs & even promotion is getting way ahead of ourselves. Then of course there is always the chance we might get an offer for some of our current players which will make PS job even harder next season.

IMO crawley will walk away with the title, their resources are too big to compete with, that leaves 2 places to fight for, but I'd settle for play offs

I imagine/expect the big runners to be -

Daggers, Brizzle, Plymouth (depending on money problems), Northampton, Gills, Rotherham (if they hold onto Le Fondre) Port Vale, Crawley and either Luton/W'don and maybe Torquay/Shrews if they don't go up.

I'd like to think we'd be up there. Depends on what happens over the summer

I imagine/expect the big runners to be -

Daggers, Brizzle, Plymouth (depending on money problems), Northampton, Gills, Rotherham (if they hold onto Le Fondre) Port Vale, Crawley and either Luton/W'don and maybe Torquay/Shrews if they don't go up.

I'd like to think we'd be up there. Depends on what happens over the summer

That is a strong field of teams, I think it's a bit over the top to say top 7 is a minimum. by the sounds of things he may well end up with a tight wage budget and it might not be enough. Unfortunately, every season how much you spend becomes more and more a factor in whether you're in the promotion mix or not. just look at league 1, you have to spend spend spend to get out

Of course he will be. Taling southend to their lowest league in 7 years and given a bkank
Canvas to work on unlike tilly and his boasts about having a squad
Good enough for promotion means we have to get pronotion
Otherwise gyosy boy and martin will get
Rid of him. Next season with much bigger teams than us in this division
Bottom half nearer to the relegatuon spiots than automatic spots will not be an option

I would argue the points you have made, but I have no idea what any of it means.

I'd like to hope we'd be at the very least in the play offs but it's too early to make these assumptions, a lot will depend on who comes in and who goes out.

That is a strong field of teams, I think it's a bit over the top to say top 7 is a minimum. by the sounds of things he may well end up with a tight wage budget and it might not be enough. Unfortunately, every season how much you spend becomes more and more a factor in whether you're in the promotion mix or not. just look at league 1, you have to spend spend spend to get out

I think you're right. Expecting top 7 is over the top, but it shouldn't be. It just highlights this clubs downfall. We should be talking about top 2, but with the strength on the league, and our money constraints, even top 7 could be a step too far?

TBH i'm not expecting loads of signings in the summer. Hopefully we'll get a one or two decent additions, but then again, we've been saying that for the past 4 years, and as yet, we've always been disappointed.

I can't see our money problems going away any time soon, and unfortunately that will constantly hinder our chances of promotion IMO

A bid for izle McLeod would be good too as long as he don't take the penalties

Although I do not rate Sturrock as highly as many fans do I feel that all managers should be given two seasons and to be judged on the second of those when they should have their squad, tactics, coaching staff etc in place as they want it. Regarding expectations, apart from Crawley, I know of no other club that will have any spare cash any more than Southend. Sturrock will probably be in the same position as 22 other managers, certainly no worse off. His budget may well be better than most and much will depend on his choice of signings which I hope will be better than the majority signed in 2010/11.

Back