• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
...another storm in a Shrimperzone tea cup?

Here we are again... 2 days before the end of the club, we're going into administration, the clubs been mismanaged, what a load of bloody tripe that comes from the mouths of some (and not who you might think I mean)... Jesus we all love to react don't we?

Will we ever learn?

The workings of big business (and SUFC is big business) are beyond the grasp and knowledge of most of us on here, which is why we are fans and not owners of a football club.

Time and time again the doom mongers have come out and predicted the end, people like me who offer a counter and more optimistic view are flamed for having rose (blue) tinted glasses and then criticised for daring to have opposing views to those who so obviously know "the truth" and why can't we all see it? Ron is a liar, a charlatan, the clubs finances have so obviously been mismanaged because we owe the tax man money. It's obviously been all done so he can afford his gold encrusted hair extensions and actually I've heard he's put in a bid for Toni and Guy... apparently they double up as a left back and centre half in between styling their customers hair...

And of course it goes without saying that he is just pulling the wool over everyone's eyes with his email communication. Bloody lies and rubbish, all of it, obviously kidding us, has been since day 1, I mean, where's the money gone?

Look, I'm not saying we aren't in trouble, but there are various signs that tell me that maybe things aren't as bad as everyone would make out.

1) People who are conmen and who try and pull the wool over peoples eyes generally keep quiet about certain things. RM has been pretty open and communicative - far more so than probably any other club chairman.

2) There are things he just cannot say at the moment as it may jeopardise whatever deal he is trying to do. Think of it like a poker hand. You don't reveal what you've got too early do you? It's all about getting the other party to believe what you want them to believe. It's called business and negotiation.

3) Not everyone who owes the taxman money goes bust.

4) He has used the phrase when we have sorted the situation with HMRC rather than if... there has been no indication that we won't pay them. My guess is we will pay them at the absolute last minute. That is what you have to do when you manage a cash flow issue. It is a debt that will be managed in whatever way he can.

5) Accrington are in trouble, have said they are in trouble and have embarked on an emergency fundraising mission over the last month to raise money via friendlies against prem sides and bucket collections. We have done none of that - meaning we don't have to.

6) Grant has signed a contract extension. Why bother negotiating if there was any possibility of the club not continuing to exist?

So, there are 6 reasons why all may not be lost. This arab rumour may just have some legs as well... think about it... an ex CCC club, planning permission granted, increased attendances, 35 miles from London... that's a potentially attractive proposition to an investor.

So, will we go into administration?

Maybe.

Will we be wound up on Wednesday?

Maybe.

Will we get relegated?

Maybe.

But the answer to all of those questions could just as easily be "maybe not" and there isn't a damn thing that I or anyone on here can do to influence it.

So I, for one, am not going to worry, and will just carry on supporting the team in the same way that I have since 1969 and will be thankful that, thanks entirely to Ron Martin, that club is still in existence.

I'll be honest, fbm, I couldn't even bring myself to read all of that. I'm as positive and optimistic as anyone but only having twelve player isn't a storm in a tea cup no matter what. I don't know what will happen this week and I don't think anyone else on here does either but if you remove the Winding up petition from the equation then you still have a club that's in a dire state.

I'm not at the stage of pointing fingers at Ron Martin because he can hardly be blamed for the economy collapsing. Plus none of us were saying that maybe we shouldn't throw money at trying to get back into the Championship. But regardless of how we got here we're obviously in a desperate mess right now.

Hear hear.

I've been defending the Club over various issues on here since the beginning of the summer. I said we'd bring in centre halfs, which we did do in M'Voto and Heath and I said we'd bring in a left back which he did in Friend and White.

I've defended the team saying we will be alright this season and are only a few players away from being a play-off contender and we aren't a million miles away from the play-off spots.

RM doesn't want us to go under, he doesn't want us in administration either. Fingers crossed he can pull another rabbit out of the hat either on Wednesday or before and we can all go to Roots Hall on Friday and celebrate the fact we still have a Club to support.

Keep the faith!!

Surely the bottom line in all of this is.................

Do you really believe, in your heart of hearts, that in two days or two weeks time, Southend United won't exist as a football club?......................I DON'T!....................
......................I just bloody hope my heart of hearts is right!

Here we are again... 2 days before the end of the club, we're going into administration, the clubs been mismanaged, what a load of bloody tripe that comes from the mouths of some (and not who you might think I mean)... Jesus we all love to react don't we?

Will we ever learn?

The workings of big business (and SUFC is big business) are beyond the grasp and knowledge of most of us on here, which is why we are fans and not owners of a football club.

Time and time again the doom mongers have come out and predicted the end, people like me who offer a counter and more optimistic view are flamed for having rose (blue) tinted glasses and then criticised for daring to have opposing views to those who so obviously know "the truth" and why can't we all see it? Ron is a liar, a charlatan, the clubs finances have so obviously been mismanaged because we owe the tax man money. It's obviously been all done so he can afford his gold encrusted hair extensions and actually I've heard he's put in a bid for Toni and Guy... apparently they double up as a left back and centre half in between styling their customers hair...

And of course it goes without saying that he is just pulling the wool over everyone's eyes with his email communication. Bloody lies and rubbish, all of it, obviously kidding us, has been since day 1, I mean, where's the money gone?

Look, I'm not saying we aren't in trouble, but there are various signs that tell me that maybe things aren't as bad as everyone would make out.

1) People who are conmen and who try and pull the wool over peoples eyes generally keep quiet about certain things. RM has been pretty open and communicative - far more so than probably any other club chairman.

2) There are things he just cannot say at the moment as it may jeopardise whatever deal he is trying to do. Think of it like a poker hand. You don't reveal what you've got too early do you? It's all about getting the other party to believe what you want them to believe. It's called business and negotiation.

4) He has used the phrase when we have sorted the situation with HMRC rather than if... there has been no indication that we won't pay them. My guess is we will pay them at the absolute last minute. That is what you have to do when you manage a cash flow issue. It is a debt that will be managed in whatever way he can.

5) Accrington are in trouble, have said they are in trouble and have embarked on an emergency fundraising mission over the last month to raise money via friendlies against prem sides and bucket collections. We have done none of that - meaning we don't have to.

6) Grant has signed a contract extension. Why bother negotiating if there was any possibility of the club not continuing to exist?

So, there are 6 reasons why all may not be lost. This arab rumour may just have some legs as well... think about it... an ex CCC club, planning permission granted, increased attendances, 35 miles from London... that's a potentially attractive proposition to an investor.

Maybe.

Maybe.

Will we get relegated?

Maybe.

But the answer to all of those questions could just as easily be "maybe not" and there isn't a damn thing that I or anyone on here can do to influence it.

So I, for one, am not going to worry, and will just carry on supporting the team in the same way that I have since 1969 and will be thankful that, thanks entirely to Ron Martin, that club is still in existence.

Rather well said sir!

I'll be honest, fbm, I couldn't even bring myself to read all of that. I'm as positive and optimistic as anyone but only having twelve player isn't a storm in a tea cup no matter what. I don't know what will happen this week and I don't think anyone else on here does either but if you remove the Winding up petition from the equation then you still have a club that's in a dire state.

I'm not at the stage of pointing fingers at Ron Martin because he can hardly be blamed for the economy collapsing. Plus none of us were saying that maybe we shouldn't throw money at trying to get back into the Championship. But regardless of how we got here we're obviously in a desperate mess right now.

Yeah gotta say I'm with Beefy on this one 100%. There are the haters on here, the woodlouse who crawl out when there are bad times and various doom mongers, but for once I think they have good reason to be concerned.

Our squad alone should tell us that. I agree we don't know what's going on behind the scenes and I too have avoided calling for more updates from Ron because I fear it's counter productive, alerting rival vultures to our fragile state, but I'm long past the point of seeing this as a 'storm in a teacup'.

Even if, amazingly, some millionaire buys the club and saves us from oblivion we're still cutting it fine and at serious fault for mismanaging our cash flow and expectations over the past 2 decades.

Surely the bottom line in all of this is.................

Do you really believe, in your heart of hearts, that in two days or two weeks time, Southend United won't exist as a football club?......................I DON'T!....................
......................I just bloody hope my heart of hearts is right!

I personally can't see us being liquidated, but that is more of a hope than anything else.

However if we end up in administration, and subsequently take a point drop, then i can see us struggling to stay in this league, as i pointed to in the "point deduction" thread.

Then you got to wonder, if we do drop back into League 2, will we have the support, money, players to get out of it? Or will it be a returm to the dark days of a 3k average crowd, with players like Bramble/Jones/Broughton up front who average 4 goals per season?

I'm with beefy and seany, 12 fit professionals and a transfer embargo are current facts, and that doesn't sound like good news to me. However hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel, ron pays up, ground gets broken, Mvoto returns and macca finds his shooting boots. Come Christmas ron could be on everyones christmas card list and Geoff King will be starring as the baby Jesus in the SUFC nativity

Better to be bottom of the league than out of it completely !

indeed

and bravo to fbm for a fine post, as stated again here (and again again and again elsewhere) no one on this board (SZ not SUFC !!!) truly knows what is going on, we can only hope and believe we will come out of this

The other point to bear in mind is that RM isn't exactly anonymous and I wouldn't imagine he'd have been leading us up the garden path otherwise there will be about 5000 people chasing him up his!

The other point to bear in mind is that RM isn't exactly anonymous and I wouldn't imagine he'd have been leading us up the garden path otherwise there will be about 5000 people chasing him up his!

And his kids at school won't exactly be popular will they?

Well actually in truth, in the past 3 months we've had statements/e-mails/blogs/and the words from the horse's mouth at the AGM, about how this £660k WILL be paid by the deadline, and how no-one should panic, yet we find ourselves 30+ hours away from what could be the most catastrophic day in SUFC's history, with an air of disaster looming

It's been mentioned many many times before, SZ is monitored by the club. Normally when the zone latches onto something big, the club do respond/publish a statement (eventually) about the relevent topics. Yet with D-day just around the corner, and many of us resigned to the fact we're probably gunna go into administration, and many losing faith in the board, there is no calming words from Ron. I find this fact, merely backs up the idea of us (hoprfully only) entering administration

Well actually in truth, in the past 3 months we've had statements/e-mails/blogs/and the words from the horse's mouth at the AGM, about how this £660k WILL be paid by the deadline, and how no-one should panic, yet we find ourselves 30+ hours away from what could be the most catastrophic day in SUFC's history, with an air of disaster looming

It's been mentioned many many times before, SZ is monitored by the club. Normally when the zone latches onto something big, the club do respond/publish a statement (eventually) about the relevent topics. Yet with D-day just around the corner, and many of us resigned to the fact we're probably gunna go into administration, and many losing faith in the board, there is no calming words from Ron. I find this fact, merely backs up the idea of us (hoprfully only) entering administration

He did blog us the other day though and say that the objectives would be achieved in time but for now he couldn't go into details for the interest of the club. Not much to go on but i think everyone would be shocked if we went into administration or worse.
I think he's playing with the figures and i hope he's pulling out all the tricks in the book.

If he said that it would be paid then people still wouldn't believe him. As you point out he's already told us that several times.

Let's see what happens.

Will we ever learn?

Maybe.

Maybe.

Will we get relegated?

Maybe.

Yeah, I reckon it will. Come Wednesday night, all will become clear and the usual SZ moaning and speculation will be all forgotten.

It all points to a satisfactory resolution using funds from a 3rd party doesnt it?

If he said that it would be paid then people still wouldn't believe him. As you point out he's already told us that several times.

Let's see what happens.

Ron will be damned if he pays and damned if he doesn't. I for one am glad i'm not in his shoes right now

In Ron, Tilly and Brush i trust

If that is blinkered then i'll be damned too

Back