• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will Tilson resign!!

DougTheHead

This Southend man through and through that supports Leeds and would be Norwich manager if Martin gave him permission to speak to them is loosing his creditability!

The money he’s wasted on Foran, Paynter, Harrold and the wages of Ricketts must give Ron a massive headache when asked for more money to buy further players!!

Tilly must realise we aren’t going to get anywhere with our striker force!! It’s about scoring goals and getting 3 points and if you haven’t the fire power then its makes it very hard to succeed at any level!! The ideal solution is to buy a striker and resolve the discrepancy. He’s had all summer to do this and failed to this date to sign any proven striker at this level and that’s with some of the Freddie money to spend!!

Either, Ron has put blocks on his selling capacity or he’s failing to convince strikers to sign (Give him credit for the Fred though!) !! People may come back and say its hard and all this BUT he’s had money before and spent sooo badly, so he has no excuses in my eyes!!

Its either sign a player that resolve this or its good night Vienna!!!!

Did this really need YET another thread? Once again, we are TWO games into the current league campaign. I do hope none of the squad read this forum...nothing like getting behind your team when the chips are down.

It’s about scoring goals

In three competitive games we have scored six goals but let in seven. Could the problem be at the other end?

i don't get topics like this.

We're two games into a season from which most honest Southend fans thought would be an average season at best.

when we went up from League 2 we started with LDLDLW. Our first win was on August 30th and we still made the play offs.

Oh dear....two league games in and we are thinking the boss may resign. Dont we think its a little early in the season to be even thinking like that?

Leeds goals flattered them and with their second coming so late in the game the heads went down and that was that.

I would question the choice of strikers at the Leeds game and thats about it.

The first three league games were always going to be tough so there is another on Saturday. The team need a confidence boost by winning a couple of league games. We could also do with a bit of luck aswell.....dodgey red card against the O's and Macca hitting the post against Leeds.

We should get behind the team and support them, not pull the rug away from under them. I am sure the last thing they need is a load of negative support on Saturday.

Let's not forget, Tilly is a young manager at his first club. He was always going to make mistakes, and the question is do we consider those mistakes to make his position untenable?

Certainly the purchases of Foran (a pub footballer), Paynter and Clarke are black marks. The latter two are probably fair players, but Tilson definitately paid over the odds for them. But they were panic buys when we were all calling for new faces in the Championship.

The signing of Freddie goes some way to appeasing fans on Steve's transfer history. However, in effect that was a no lose gamble. His old mate Stimmo called him up and told him Freddie was a gem. At the price Grays wanted it was a risk free gamble. The others on the other hand were not, and given the amount we might get for them now, you could argue Tilly has wasted well over half a million pounds.

That said, Tilson inherited a side hurtling towards the Conference. His positive attitude turned this club around. That alone should warrant the faith of Ron Martin and allow him the chance to overcome this blip.

Relegation from the Championship was for me, a forgone conclusion. If anything, we went up too soon. We had a small squad anyway, and we lost one of our most influential players in The Goat to retirement. That left Fred alone and seriously blunted up front. In turn, that left our defence overworked without the outlet upfront they'd enjoyed for a couple of seasons.

But now we are back in L1. It is worth remembering that wehen we came up from L2 that our first priority was 50 points to stay up. For some reason, everyone expects us to be top 6 this season. Well that's a very tough ask.

We need to make our expectations realistic, and we should give Tilson the chance to meet them.

If he loses the faith of the players then he has to go. Until that point, he has done enough in the past to deserve our loyalty and support. That said it won't stop me questioning some of his decisions - like the selection of Bradbury and Harrold together at Leeds.

This Southend man through and through that supports Leeds and would be Norwich manager if Martin gave him permission to speak to them is loosing his creditability!

The money he’s wasted on Foran, Paynter, Harrold and the wages of Ricketts must give Ron a massive headache when asked for more money to buy further players!!

Tilly must realise we aren’t going to get anywhere with our striker force!! It’s about scoring goals and getting 3 points and if you haven’t the fire power then its makes it very hard to succeed at any level!! The ideal solution is to buy a striker and resolve the discrepancy. He’s had all summer to do this and failed to this date to sign any proven striker at this level and that’s with some of the Freddie money to spend!!

Either, Ron has put blocks on his selling capacity or he’s failing to convince strikers to sign (Give him credit for the Fred though!) !! People may come back and say its hard and all this BUT he’s had money before and spent sooo badly, so he has no excuses in my eyes!!

Somebody give this man a medal! POST OF THE YEAR SIR!!!

ragh show me a striker we could feasibly sign and where's the guarantee that this striker will score the goals we need.

Knowing you lot he'd sign someone and then after two games say he's **** and (another) waste of money :mad:

i don't get topics like this.

We're two games into a season from which most honest Southend fans thought would be an average season at best.

when we went up from League 2 we started with LDLDLW. Our first win was on August 30th and we still made the play offs.

Indeed - and really we should have gone up automatically that year.

Some people are going over the top at the moment, just because we've come down from the Championship does not automatically give us the right to spank all and sundry - and we should not expect the team to do so.
Yes, our strikeforce is less than spectacular and we really need another striker but let's get a sense of perspective here - shouting for Tilly's head after three games is very silly indeed.

How many more threads are there going to be about this?

You're right about a couple of things though Doug.

We need a striker
Firstly, we do need that elusive 20 goals a season striker. You know that, I know that, most people know that. Steve Tilson also knows that and he has said so. The problem of course is that every single manager of every single team in the football league is also searching for that elusive 20 goals a season striker. Those managers that have them already don't want to let them go. Those that are proven in THIS League want to play for a big team in the next League up. They also cost big money and demand high wages. One striker we were after who seemed to fit the bill ended up signing for Sunderland! What this means of course is that we do have to take gambles on the likes of Foran, Paynter, Harrold and Ricketts.

Tilson's transfers
You're also right that Tilson has made some buying mistakes. But then again, show me a manager who hasn't. He's also made some pretty impressive acquisitions, not least that unproven fella from Grays. If you're Wenger, Ferguson or Moronio and you make a Ricketts in the transfer market, you can just go out and buy someone else. We've never had that luxury and we never will.

Failure to spend the money
As the chairman and manager, you're also right that Martin and Tilly have to take responsibility. It's disappointing that we don't seem to have made the signings necessary to make the division sit up and take notice in our first two games. While I agree with your concerns about our seeming lack of promotion-winning fire-power, to say there are "no excuses" for not signing a replacement for Freddy Eastwood is, in my opinion, ridiculous. See above.

As others have said too though, we're only two games into the season and our problem so far has not been at the scoring end of the pitch.

It's going to be a long, hard season in a tougher division than some people may have expected it to be.

Last edited:
How many more threads are there going to be about this?

You're right about a couple of things though Doug.

Firstly, we do need that elusive 20 goals a season striker. You know that, I know that, most people know that. Steve Tilson also knows that and he has said so. The problem of course is that every single manager of every single team in the football league is also searching for that elusive 20 goals a season striker. Those managers that have them already don't want to let them go. Those that are proven in THIS League want to play for a big team in the next League up. They also cost big money and demand high wages. One striker we were after who seemed to fit the bill ended up signing for Sunderland! What this means of course is that we do have to take gambles on the likes of Foran, Paynter, Harrold and Ricketts.

You're also right that Tilson has made some buying mistakes. But then again, show me a manager who hasn't. He's also made some pretty impressive acquisitions, not least that unproven fella from Grays. If you're Wenger, Ferguson or Moronio and you make a Ricketts in the transfer market, you can just go out and buy someone else. We've never had that luxury and we never will.

As the chairman and manager, you're also right that Martin and Tilly have to take responsibility. It's disappointing that we don't seem to have made the signings necessary to make the division sit up and take notice in our first two games. While I agree with your concerns about our seeming lack of promotion-winning fire-power, to say there are "no excuses" for not signing a replacement for Freddy Eastwood is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

As others have said too though, we're only two games into the season and our problem so far has not been at the scoring end of the pitch.

It's going to be a long, hard season in a tougher division than some people may have expected it to be.

Thats a very good post SBH. I'll add, Kleberson, Seba Veron and Djemba Djemba here just to prove that the best manager in the world and one of the all time greats makes big expensive transfer **** ups too.

Certainly the purchases of Foran (a pub footballer), Paynter and Clarke are black marks. The latter two are probably fair players, but Tilson definitately paid over the odds for them. But they were panic buys when we were all calling for new faces in the Championship.

Paynter was probably a 'panic' signing when it became clear that Ricketts wasn't going to work out (literally) but Clarke wasn't. We were after him for most of that entire summer.

Thats a very good post SBH. I'll add, Kleberson, Seba Veron and Djemba Djemba here just to prove that the best manager in the world and one of the all time greats makes big expensive transfer **** ups too.

But all three of them could do a job for us. :rolleyes: :) :D

Yawn, Where was you with your input when things were going well? Get off his back and give these guys a chance. Granted, things haven't gone to plan just yet this season but i see it that we were cheated in the first game and unlucky to lose (not win, but at least get a draw). I also reckon we have got the hardest away game of the season out of the way (Again, up till the last 10 minutes we was well worthy of a point). There is a lot to be encouraged by still.

Yawn, Where was you with your input when things were going well? Get off his back and give these guys a chance. Granted, things haven't gone to plan just yet this season but i see it that we were cheated in the first game and unlucky to lose (not win, but at least get a draw). I also reckon we have got the hardest away game of the season out of the way (Again, up till the last 10 minutes we was well worthy of a point). There is a lot to be encouraged by still.

hallelujah :angel:

Somebody give this man a medal! POST OF THE YEAR SIR!!!
Post of the year - MY @RSE! It wasn't even the best post made at 8.43 a.m. this morning. It's just the same old tired moaning without any decent consideration given to how we might solve our defensive problems or without offering any explanation of where he thinks the Freddy money might have gone. Would Tilson really be sitting on £1.5m out of choice?

:confused:

It sounds like Doug has had a candlelit soiree with wiggy - he's certainly regurgitating the same sort of bile the morning after!

:thump:

Irrispective of the rest of the contents, you've gotta enjoy the sarcasm (and perhaps hint of truth)in the opening paragraph!

Back