• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will you still attend next season?

Will you still attend next season?

• Yes

Votes: 293 73.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 14.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 47 11.8%

• Total voters
Out of interest, those who said no, is this because you don't really go anyway? (Pandemic aside)
After 59 years of football league football at Southend if I want to watch non league football I might as well watch Manor or Leigh Ramblers as it's cheaper .....Sorry I'm just not interested in the visit of the mighty Wealdstone or thinking I'm Billy big Bol***ks when I visit some tiny town .Honestly how many of us look at the National league or are remotely interested.I love to visit and the visits of the big clubs with history .The damage to future support should also not be underestimated .We suffer enough for a town our size from the London pull and what Ron has achieved will make sure no kids with street cred will want to been seen dead in a Southend shirt or admit to supporting their local team.Having fully supported Ron's original aim of a stadium to allow us to compete in the championship we are now left with a situation where quite frankly we are going to be a laughing stock ....a 22k stadium in the NL!! not entirely down to him that one but the council really have helped create this scenario .
Ron's appointments since Bond have been truly appalling and financially have killed us leading to the embargo which has been the major reason we are here now .Will I give Ron another penny after so many broken promises and mismanagement....No .He will have to earn my support by an instant return to the EFL I suggest you listen to Ron's talk sport appearances to see how deluded that hope could be.

I will be renewing my season ticket for next season.Will be doing a fair amount of away games too.Six neded to complete the division plus fair few local ones too

And that's even if we ever build to capacity.

My biggest hope is that the stadium gets the green light. 3 sides get built and Ron makes his money and then leaves the club to a younger wealthier person or persons to run it effectively and restore some of the clubs reputation which is frankly mud to most at this time.

Then, when we in better financial shape and back in the football league, we can think about finishing the stadium.

We have no place building a 21k stadium in the national league.

We can only hope ?. RM might have once wanted a football club but now it really is all about property at Roots Hall, property, retail and a hotel etc at Fossets and all the ongoing income.

I believe Fossets is his swan song so yes the sooner the better so we can have our football club back and get back to our rightful place in the football league.

I can't wait for the day I will return to Roots Hall, Fossets or even Chalkwell Park come to that but it won't be while RM is in control. A previous contributor said "There are only so many times we can be kicked in the teeth" I agree completely as the last 3 years have been one kick after another. Have all of our numerous managers over the last 3 years since PB been bad? Of course not, our problems are far far deeper.

It hurts like hell after over 50 years but I just can't go on giving hard earned money to our current owner ?

Last edited:
No, I’m off to support another club. :Facepalm:

I’m genuinely hoping the season tickets are more affordable and I can get one!

There a few divvy posters on here from Col Ewe and other teams but Cap is one of the good ones. His statement rings true for any club that drops out of the league

Cheers DWB, I try to be objective if I can, but football forums are emotional places and we can all say things we don’t mean in the heat of the moment. I might stay off here Tuesday evening:Smile:

I don’t think asking on Shrimperzone will get a reflection of the amount of fans who will still attend in the NL. If you’re on here it’s more likely you are die hard.. whereas I think in general there will be a massive reduction in fans. I think we will get about 2500/ 3000 fans for home games. I think away support will be significantly less compared to normal as well.

After 59 years of football league football at Southend if I want to watch non league football I might as well watch Manor or Leigh Ramblers as it's cheaper .....Sorry I'm just not interested in the visit of the mighty Wealdstone or thinking I'm Billy big Bol***ks when I visit some tiny town .Honestly how many of us look at the National league or are remotely interested.I love to visit and the visits of the big clubs with history .The damage to future support should also not be underestimated .We suffer enough for a town our size from the London pull and what Ron has achieved will make sure no kids with street cred will want to been seen dead in a Southend shirt or admit to supporting their local team.Having fully supported Ron's original aim of a stadium to allow us to compete in the championship we are now left with a situation where quite frankly we are going to be a laughing stock ....a 22k stadium in the NL!! not entirely down to him that one but the council really have helped create this scenario .
Ron's appointments since Bond have been truly appalling and financially have killed us leading to the embargo which has been the major reason we are here now .Will I give Ron another penny after so many broken promises and mismanagement....No .He will have to earn my support by an instant return to the EFL I suggest you listen to Ron's talk sport appearances to see how deluded that hope could be.

I don't think it should be about being the billy big wotnots, I for one respect the club on national league who work their nuts off just to have a club and live for the cup matches etc... I am not knocking your opinion I just view this differently, we have always been a laughing stock even in the good times as I found out living in Devon an Somerset through my teens. So as sad as it may be that we are where we are, if we have a club I will always say with pride I am a Shrimper, f every other clubs views of us!

Yes of course. That old myth.

Over funded. Who's fault is that for not having a ceo or refusing any additional backing. Poor judgement again by a chairman out of touch out of his depth and out of money.

Of course we are the chelsea of league 1 and 2 and what success we have had.

No other club spends as much as us or has any success etc.

Ron is a terrible chairman. He can't run the club and is financially unfit to run the club. He has dug himself into a financial whole and the club is now suffering.

Whos idea was it to chase larson etc and appoint Sol and his crew for circa 1 million a year?

Who agreed to kightly, ferdinand, Cox and Ridgewells wages, knowing we could not afford it and they were mostly over the hill with no sell on value?

Maybe if we had a ceo better decisions would be made. But yet again we spend money on utter **** and not on things that matter.

Almost every decision Ron makes is **** poor, misguided or risks the clubs status and integrity.

Anyone who defends him is just as bad. We are heading into non league after another managerial fiasco and having been embargoed for a whole year.

Wake up Rigsby.

Well done at last Tommy. I was saying all the above 5 years ago when we were foolishly chasing the Championship without a stadium to do it in.

Lots of people mocked me on here for not expecting or wanting promotion.....The same ones who now call me a Ron lover. In fact you could say i was awake long before You.

I'm glad you have realised that not a single penny has been diverted into the FF project. Instead its been wasted on wages and paying off contracts. Once us fans can be honest we can talk about the real reasons why we are where we are.

Keep up the good work and look out for those other myths that make most Ron debates pointless....

The team have been overfunded and thats why the debt keeps increasing. Its why bills have not been paid.

In the last season there is another fan myth emerging, that Ron has spent money on his "Stadium pension pot dream."

Paying off 20 plus players and coaching staff, all of whom us fans wanted gone. Plus record injuries meaning extra players were needed......Thats why we couldn't pay the bills and ended up on an embargo........The irony is Ron has acted like the wealthy fool so many fans think is the answer for a dream chairman.

But all us fans wanted improvements......Remember when Luggy's brand of football was to direct and wouldn't get us out of L2......To change that has ended up costing us £5m a season.
Haha I remember that...people actually saying they were not going to go because of the awful football!
Tbh football fans are as thick as mince when it comes to football so any Chairman / CEO / etc actually listening to fans will inevitably crash and burn.
I doubt Ron actually did listen to fans and had other reasons for the route we took post Sturrock

There's mid table L2 for the last 10 years and next 10 years or our boom or bust approach which got us to 1 point of the L1 playoffs and then to non league.
I suspect most fans would choose the latter :Sad: Hopefully the next chairman chooses the former:Thumbs up:

I will of course continue to go as will my husband, son and daughter.
Both my children have been raised at that club and although I am saddened at our demise it is still my club.
Whether I decide to get a ST is another matter as I suspect they will reduce the capacity and could even look at closing one stand (which most likely would be the West)
Hang your head in shame @Tinks. Us West standers are way too young to enter the mausoleum that is the East Stand.

I don’t think asking on Shrimperzone will get a reflection of the amount of fans who will still attend in the NL. If you’re on here it’s more likely you are die hard.. whereas I think in general there will be a massive reduction in fans. I think we will get about 2500/ 3000 fans for home games. I think away support will be significantly less compared to normal as well.

Tbh I doubt crowds will fall that far.

If we are doing well, which we should be at that level, then I'd expect between 4 or 5k and some games with promotions by the club to be much higher. We should be aiming to average 5k+

I think the top average is around 5k in the national league and I'd expect us to be in the top 3.

I would also think there will be some decent away crowds by local clubs and some clubs we have never played before.

I also think we will have decent away supports up and down the country

I voted No, as I don’t know when we’re allowed out of our Covid free country Into the big wide world.

It has been a tough couple of years as a blues fan. A mixture of poor running of the club by our chairman, poor managers, poor signings. I really do fear for our future and absolutely despise Ron Martin.

So, based on all that depressing information, YES OF COURSE I AM GOING NEXT SEASON!!!!!!

For me it's a difficult one. I live an hour and twenty minutes away on a good day. Evening matches (especially Fridays) can be up to 2 and a half hours. To travel for that length of time for the quality of football we'll be served doesn't really appeal.

I really don't know if I'll attend or not. I'm 51 and have been a season ticket holder almost my entire life so it will be a real wrench not to attend, but I just don't really have the appetite for it at the moment.

That said, against my better judgement I've paid for tonight's match...

Back