• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gary Moore wasn't the greatest forward we've had, but we could do with someone like him in our current predicament. A big blonde centre forward who was decent in the air and limited on the deck, but like Roy McDonough totally whole hearted in his efforts. Along with Billy Best they formed a potent strike force. On top of which he was a good bloke, always had time to stop and chat at away games and sign autographs for the youngsters.

Willie Coulson was a (very) blonde haired, florid faced Geordie signed from Newcastle, on his day very skillful, if anyone thinks Macca had a problem with drink never saw Willie Coulson hitting the Pernod bottle.

Thank God for the memories!! Current events are not good, so looking back is a bonus. Gary Moore was a big lump of a centre forward, not skilful but had the ability to score many goals and with BB was a potent force. Willie Coulson was a red faced chunky mid fielder who was adequate but not earth shattering. My vote goes unhesitatingly to Gary Moore.

For me another no contest - Garys partnership with Billy Best was one of the best (no pun intended) - Gary also had a good stint in midfield (good touch for a big man etc etc) Never thought much of Coulson

Willie was never boring and always looked as if he could do with a good de-tox.
However Gary and Billy Best's partnerhip was v effective and good to watch.
Added to which I think I was witness to one of the best left hooks ever thrown on a football pitch by GM !
Trouble is , I can't remember the exact circs.
Can anyboy out there help ?

Added to which I think I was witness to one of the best left hooks ever thrown on a football pitch by GM !
Trouble is , I can't remember the exact circs.
Can anyboy out there help ?

You're right, but like you I can't remember the who, what & where, help please.

My favourite memory of big Gary wasn't hm scoring, but missing a sitter in front of the North Bank. There was a cross from the left Gary came steaming in with the goal at his mercy from two yards. Unfortunately Gary ended up entangled in the net and the ball was skied into the North Bank much to our collective amusement. I think we were winning hence the laughter.

As I recall he then nutted the goalie and got sent off!

Still, he plays "Parisienne Walkways" far better than Coulson - then again, so do I.

I loved Willie Coulson! Seeing that blond barnet and red face bombing along the wing and crossing the ball for Stuart Brace to knock the ball away is a sight that is etched in my memory! Gary Moore was just at the beginning of my time supporting and while early memories are sketchy (I do remember BB), I don't remember thinking much of Moore. Now Bill Garner and Chris Guthrie following on a little later was a different matter!

Wille was cack, but good value. Would not get anywhere near a first team these days, so unfit. Yes, he did 'bomb' down the wing, and with some effect when he did it, but the exertion usually knackered him for 60 mins or so.

I have a hazy memory of a 3-1 home defeat in the snow v Hereford, sparse crowd and freezing but the atmosphere was great as we had to shout to keep frost bite at bay. I believe Willie might have been in the team that day, he had to run more to keep warm and his cheeks glowed a deeper shade of red, but on the slippery surface he couldn't turn or stop very well so he just bulldozed through.

Has to be Mooro though in this one.

My favourite memory of big Gary wasn't hm scoring, but missing a sitter in front of the North Bank. There was a cross from the left Gary came steaming in with the goal at his mercy from two yards. Unfortunately Gary ended up entangled in the net and the ball was skied into the North Bank much to our collective amusement. I think we were winning hence the laughter.

The miss was against Chesterfield, as Canveyshrimper says we were one up at the time. A second would have made the game safe, but I seem to remember we eventually lost the game 2-1 (it may have been 2 all-the memory may be playing tricks). What does stand out, as Canveyshrimper said is the quality of the miss. I remember it being about a yard, rather than two yards out, with no Chesterfield player within 10 yards of the ball. Somebody (I think it was Billy Best) had slotted the ball past the keeper and the ball was rolling into the centre of an empty net. Along came Gary, his arms raised skywards in premature celebration, to scoop it up and over the bar, at about an 80% angle. Cue sitting in the net with a face that just got redder and redder. Honestly, I wish something like YouTube had existed then to record the miss for posterity-quite simply the worst miss I ever saw at the Hall and possibly the worst I've ever seen anywhere.

Having said all that big Gal gets my vote over Willie Coulson, who unlike Garry More had a more or less permanent red face due probably, as others have suggested, to his love of the bevvy. Never more than an adequate mid fielder, he can't be compared to Moore, who never gave less than everything for the cause, made a lot of goals for Billy Best, and despite his misss against Chesterfield, scored a good few himself.

Well remembered Devon, I was probably being generous when I said 2 yards, as you suggest it was more like two feet. The only comparable miss I can think of was by a bloke called Roger Davies who played for Derby. I think they were playing a cup match at Chelsea, he rounded the keeper, and fell over the ball with the goal gaping and onbody within yards of him.

To be fair to Willie Coulson I think he formed a formidable drinking team with Davie Cunningham, and many pubs in the area went bust when the pair of them left the club.

Thanks for making me laugh again I too remember that miss, defied all laws of physics and it still lingers with me to this day !! Anyway Gary was a really nice bloke when me and a couple of mates decided to ask for his autograph and went round the his house in Little Hays Leigh.His wife even looked shocked at our adoration of him , unfortunately he was always seen as the fall guy beside BB

As I remember it we signed Moore from Grimsby when as so often our forward line of little'uns was calling out for a big lad up front to mix things up a bit. Moore perfectly fitted the bill (no pun) at the time and while awkward looking ,was great with his head and scored quite a few goals himself. As others have said will always be remembered for his partnership with bb.

As a youngster I always though coulson was one day going to really turn on the magic but I dont think that happened too often but still a decent player. Vote however must go to Moore.

I am so glad we are having this chance to remember old greats and happy times, so much better to live in the past than in the present at the moment.

Hard one for me as I nominated Willie - as he was such entertainment value as very skillful nut also a bit tubby and flat footed - reminded me of the Penguin from Batman wheilst running down the wing.

I loved Gary Moore as used to go to his Sports Shop in Hamlet Court Road before Peter Taylor took it over.

Great memories the pair of them - sadly can't see many of today's squad leaving such endearing memories though!!

Go Willie Go

Just remembered seeing them training once at Blenheim Park and having to do press ups and clapping at the same time - surprised that Willie didn't bust his nose as he hit the ground so hard!! :o)

Well remembered Devon, I was probably being generous when I said 2 yards, as you suggest it was more like two feet. The only comparable miss I can think of was by a bloke called Roger Davies who played for Derby. I think they were playing a cup match at Chelsea, he rounded the keeper, and fell over the ball with the goal gaping and onbody within yards of him.

To be fair to Willie Coulson I think he formed a formidable drinking team with Davie Cunningham, and many pubs in the area went bust when the pair of them left the club.

But the local taxi drivers must have felt a lot safer.;)
IIRC,Dave Cunningham famously clocked one after one of those mammoth drinking sessions.
Gary Moore every time for me, BTW.Unlike :OBL: I though he was a better player than Chris Guthrie.Still remember his miss away at Mansfield in the Cup.He scored some great goals though in tandem with Billy Best.
Coulson was good for a laugh but not much more.

Last edited:
But the local taxi drivers must have felt a lot safer.;)
IIRC,Dave Cunningham famously clocked one after one of those mammoth drinking sessions.
Gary Moore every time for me, BTW.Unlike :OBL: I though he was a better player than Chris Guthrie.Still remember his miss away at Mansfield in the Cup.He scored some great goals though in tandem with Billy Best.
Coulson was good for a laugh but not much more.

Yes you are right about Davie Cunningham and the taxi driver, front page news on the ECHO at the time.

The miss was against Chesterfield, as Canveyshrimper says we were one up at the time. A second would have made the game safe, but I seem to remember we eventually lost the game 2-1 (it may have been 2 all-the memory may be playing tricks). What does stand out, as Canveyshrimper said is the quality of the miss. I remember it being about a yard, rather than two yards out, with no Chesterfield player within 10 yards of the ball. Somebody (I think it was Billy Best) had slotted the ball past the keeper and the ball was rolling into the centre of an empty net. Along came Gary, his arms raised skywards in premature celebration, to scoop it up and over the bar, at about an 80% angle. Cue sitting in the net with a face that just got redder and redder. Honestly, I wish something like YouTube had existed then to record the miss for posterity-quite simply the worst miss I ever saw at the Hall and possibly the worst I've ever seen anywhere.

Having said all that big Gal gets my vote over Willie Coulson, who unlike Garry More had a more or less permanent red face due probably, as others have suggested, to his love of the bevvy. Never more than an adequate mid fielder, he can't be compared to Moore, who never gave less than everything for the cause, made a lot of goals for Billy Best, and despite his misss against Chesterfield, scored a good few himself.

Gary Moore and that miss will live in legend forever. It was a long while ago but I saw it from about 2/3 up the old South Bank and the most memorable thing for me was not only how he could miss from there but he not only put it over the bar but he cleared the North Bank stand and the ball landed in the Eastern National bus depot, pretty much where Prospects is now.

Willie Coulson on the other hand caused me much hilarity for a very different reason, a chap at work asked me if Coulson had ever ridden a horse as his legs were so bandy. Forever after that I could never watch one of runs down the wing without laughing out loud; I'm sure you could have nutmegged him while he still had his legs together!

For sheer legendary status my vote goes to Gary Moore.

Poll added.

FWIW, my grandfather wouldn't rate Gary Moore as even the best Moore to have played for us. His vote would be for Billy Moore.

Willie Coulson on the other hand caused me much hilarity for a very different reason, a chap at work asked me if Coulson had ever ridden a horse as his legs were so bandy. Forever after that I could never watch one of runs down the wing without laughing out loud; I'm sure you could have nutmegged him while he still had his legs together!

You're right about Coulson being bandy, he couldn't stop a pig in a passage.

Back