• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wimbledon 2017

Had a little bet on Muguruza for the ladies' singles earlier today. Wide open event but she's got to the final before and has won a slam too. She's got a decent chance.

Konta through to the quarters. :clap:

Fantastic. Interestingly she's the highest ranked seed currently in the quarter finals. Annoyingly she's playing the winner of Halep or Azarenka, with Halep being seeded two. Either of those are great players and are really the hardest quarter final she could have had. Getting through that will be tough, but is doable. The semi (should she get that far) is arguably easier being against either Venus or Ostapenko

What with both Murray and Konta through to the quarter finals, this is the first time in 44 years (since Virgina Wade & Roger Taylor did it, way back in 1973) that we've had both male and female British players to reach this stage of the competition.

It's also 33 years since a British woman (Jo Durie) made it to the quarter finals of Wimbledon.

Although those stats are true, it seems almost unbelievable that its a first for most people in living memory.

Either which way I take my hats off to them both :happy:.... I think Andy will make it through to the semi's safe enough against Sam Querrey, but as LB mentioned, Konta's next game against Halep will be tough, and I think it will be a bridge to far for her. I really hope i'm proved wrong though.

As for the mens, Federer cruises through in straight sets in just over an hour, & Nadal seems to be making a right meal of it currently in his match against the 26th seed Muller.

Hell of a match Muller/Nadal. Currently 11 all in the final set.....

...and Nadal is out. One big gun out and the potential SF opponent for Murray, Toodles!

Last edited:
Nadal out!.... Must be good news for Murray!,

Although I like Nadal, I was kinda hoping Muller would win, being the underdog and clearly not the fans favourite. 17 years on the tour, and no wins, he suddenly comes to form this year!

Match of the tournament so far by a clear distance!!... proper edge of your seat stuff!! :thumbsup:

Konta through!! :happy:

Another cracking match, I never thought she would do it, as she just couldn't break Halep's serve until the final set.

She's got some amateur up next called "Venus Williams"?? in the semi finals... do you reckon she could do it?

Not really British though is she!

She's been here since she was 14.

I take it you have no respect for anyone foreign born representing our country across all sports?.... for example. Mo Farah, Kevin Pietersen, Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, Justin Rose, Mike Catt, & John Barnes.. They all represented our country to the highest level.

But on the plus, we do have Andy Murray, who openly promoted for Scottish Independence during the referendum.

She's been here since she was 14.

I take it you have no respect for anyone foreign born representing our country across all sports?.... for example. Mo Farah, Kevin Pietersen, Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, Justin Rose, Mike Catt, & John Barnes.. They all represented our country to the highest level.

But on the plus, we do have Andy Murray, who openly promoted for Scottish Independence during the referendum.

How many of those switched their country they play for half way through their career? That's what I don't have respect for! Same as I don't have any for that bellend Zaha!

Pick a country and play for them you can't just pick and choose who you play for as and when you want!

Been here since 14 qualifies as being British? Er no.

She doesn't even have British parents(which most of the examples above do have)

Its nothing to do with having respect, its just common sense. To be of a nationality you have to have been born there, or at least to have parentage.

My daughter is 14, if she moved to France tomorrow and never came back she would still be English.

In truth, I don't really care who she is representing.

It was just a great tennis match.

Just like Nadal v Muller was last night.

How many of those switched their country they play for half way through their career?

Bradley Wiggins was 2 years old when he moved to the UK
Justin Rose was 5 years old when he moved to the UK
John Barnes was 12 when he moved to the UK
Chris Froome was 13 when he moved to the UK
Jo Konta was 14 when she moved to the UK

Hardly half way through their career is it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradley Wiggins was 2 years old when he moved to the UK
Justin Rose was 5 years old when he moved to the UK
John Barnes was 12 when he moved to the UK
Chris Froome was 13 when he moved to the UK
Jo Konta was 14 when she moved to the UK

Hardly half way through their career is it!!

What are you on about?

My point was she was playing Tennis as an Australian until 2012. How many of those you named have switched countries?

Been here since 14 qualifies as being British? Er no.

She doesn't even have British parents(which most of the examples above do have)

Its nothing to do with having respect, its just common sense. To be of a nationality you have to have been born there, or at least to have parentage.

My daughter is 14, if she moved to France tomorrow and never came back she would still be English.

Having a British passport qualifies her as British. She was born in Australia but her parents aren't Australian (Hungarian I think?) so it's understandable she has a more dynamic/modern understanding of citizenship.

Whether someone in tennis should be allowed to switch the nationality they represent at a pro level is separate issue, personally I don't really care. If she is British and proud to call herself British then great.

Last edited:
Cheer up Ricey you misery :winking:

Glad my post prompted the Muller Nadal classic and Konta's game today :thumbsup:

Back