• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wimbledon 2017

What are you on about?

Well, my point being, i'm quite sure Rose, wiggins, & froome got Olympic titles, tour de france titles, and 2 Masters, let alone all those MBE's from the Queen.

#just saying Ricey.

#Konta, worked well for that victory.

Well, my point being, i'm quite sure Rose, wiggins, & froome got Olympic titles, tour de france titles, and 2 Masters, let alone all those MBE's from the Queen.

#just saying Ricey.

Konta, worked well for that victory.

I don't think you're getting the original point I made! It's not about them not being born here it's about them representing one country then changing whilst a professional! None of the names you mentioned have done that.

Putting a stupid hashtag when you've completely missed the point doesn't make you look cool or look like you've won.

I thought her opponent was delightful :smile:

importantly, which one was that?

I do love my tennis as a thing in itself, but some of those that play it aren't bad either.

Also, that Nadal Mueller was unreal. well glad Mueller won, give all us old blokes hope.

Konta has a real chance, she's beaten Venus before but even if Konta loses she's done great to get this far

importantly, which one was that?

I do love my tennis as a thing in itself, but some of those that play it aren't bad either.

Also, that Nadal Mueller was unreal. well glad Mueller won, give all us old blokes hope.

Konta has a real chance, she's beaten Venus before but even if Konta loses she's done great to get this far

Donna Vekic.....

vekic20.jpg

New balls please :smile:

I don't think you're getting the original point I made! It's not about them not being born here it's about them representing one country then changing whilst a professional! None of the names you mentioned have done that.

Putting a stupid hashtag when you've completely missed the point doesn't make you look cool or look like you've won.

Some more for you:

Andy Caddick, Dermot Reeve, Eoin Morgan, Jonathan Trott, Henry Paul

ps Froome represented Kenya. "Froome competed for Kenya in the road time trial and the road race at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, where he finished 17th and 25th respectively, catching the attention of future Team Sky principal Dave Brailsford: "The performance he did, on the equipment he was on, that takes some doing... We always thought he was a bit of a diamond in the rough, who had a huge potential."[22] While representing Kenya at the 2006 Road World Championships in the under-23 category in Salzburg, Austria, Froome crashed into an official just after the start of the time trial,[3] causing both men to fall; although neither was injured,[23] he finished in 36th place.[24] "

Also while on this, is Konta really representing her country in a major? She could play in doubles with anyone she wants - it's not nationality based, and no-one would look at a Murray Federer final and view it as Scotland vs Switzerland. It's only really the olympics and Davis/Fed Cup that are based on nationality. Maybe some rules could be introduced for that, but personally I don't really care - they're second tier events for a pro to play in.

Konta through!! :happy:

Another cracking match, I never thought she would do it, as she just couldn't break Halep's serve until the final set.

She's got some amateur up next called "Venus Williams"?? in the semi finals... do you reckon she could do it?

I watched parts of the match, and I have to say level of tennis was fantastic. Both players played fantastic tennis, and neither really deserved to lose. But, it's great to have another Brit to cheer on, and another Brit (particularly a female) to act as a role model for future British players.

The only thing that annoyed me was the idiot in the crowd that screamed out on match point and put Halep off. She actually stopped playing because of it. Obviously it's the tennis equivalent of playing to the whistle, and Halep shouldn't have stopped, but that person shouldn't be allowed back again. Control yourself woman!

...and here comes the drama. Murray was cruising, he throws it away and is broken twice. Now 1-1

Not really British though is she!

If she was that good she'd still be an Aussie. Only switched to get publicity by becoming British No1

As did Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, Lennox Lewis... who only became British for financial gain, same as Konta.

If she was that good she'd still be an Aussie. Only switched to get publicity by becoming British No1

As did Zola Budd, Greg Rusedski, Lennox Lewis... who only became British for financial gain, same as Konta.

So 6th seed at Wimbledon, 10th in the world, not good enough for you? Australian tennis is in a huge lull, there's nobody, especially female, out there, and probably be even more loved & famous than she is here.

So 6th seed at Wimbledon, 10th in the world, not good enough for you? Australian tennis is in a huge lull, there's nobody, especially female, out there, and probably be even more loved & famous than she is here.

Not sure how the rankings work, as she's never won a Grand Slam, Prior to this Wimbledon she had only got to one Semi (Aussie Open) and never even got past the 1st Round in the French and 4th (once) in the US Open.

Despite her elevated ranking her Britishness is still very tenuous...

Not sure how the rankings work, as she's never won a Grand Slam, Prior to this Wimbledon she had only got to one Semi (Aussie Open) and never even got past the 1st Round in the French and 4th (once) in the US Open.

Hundreds of world class tennis players never do, there's only 4 per year and the women's game has been dominated by Venus & Serena Williams for the last 20 years. They're (probably) on the verge of retiring so it'll become a bit more open. Jo Konta probably has another 10+ years in her.

Her Britishness is no more tenuous than Mo Farah's or Kevin Petersen.

There are other tournaments throughout the year you know. Also, last four of a slam is massive in terms of ranking points.

Two British sportspeople who definitely did switch because they weren't good enough are Cindy and Tiffany Ofili. No way would they have switched from the USA otherwise but track and field is different, as each country only gets to take a limited number of competitors to each major championships.

But nationality is a more fluid concept than it ever has been before. Konta is eligible to represent Great Britain and she wants to represent Great Britain, so that's that really.

Nope. She was about 200 in the world when she became British.

Back