• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winding Up Petitions

I purposely didn't state that having seen Aylesbury away and many other disasters against non-league opposition over the last 51 years!

Yup been there and done that many times with Col U, mind you lots of the non league grounds and pitches are far better than they used to be, so it is not quite the culture shock to players it used to be.

This is what you get with Ron Martin, one day he will be so clever his head will fall off!

And we wonder why Southend Council won't approve his planning submission?

This is a monthly thing. Using HMRC as a payday lender will ultimately bite us in the arse one day...

It is quite ridiculous now. Surely HMRC know RM has millions stashed away ready for FF to start. :Whistling:

Bloody HMRC should stop wasting tax payers' money issuing these at the drop of a hat when payment is literally (in some cases) a few hours late.

I absolutely agree that it would help if we didn't take the **** with late payment, but we do, and they know it, we know it and they know, as we know, that they always get paid.

It's just a waste of people's time and money.

if you take a step back and look at Southend United.. it’s looks very worrying. I thought Ron was gonna make some big announcement about the bright future of SUFC.. but now they are declining to comment. I normally think that things will be fine, but I really am worried that the end is neigh for us.

Bloody HMRC should stop wasting tax payers' money issuing these at the drop of a hat when payment is literally (in some cases) a few hours late.

I absolutely agree that it would help if we didn't take the **** with late payment, but we do, and they know it, we know it and they know, as we know, that they always get paid.

Two honest questions:

When would Ron pay his tax liabilities if not threatened with a winding up order?

How much does this cost the taxpayer? Or does the offending party pay all costs plus interest?

Sorry - 3 questions.

That is a staggering deflection of the issue. If SUFC paid on time their legally owed dues (and it’s absolutely clear to every business when money is due) then HMRC wouldn’t have to waste tax payers money chasing it. If they didn’t enforce immediately then some businesses would just take the P even more.

You need to take off your blue tinted specs on this issue

it's just a waste of people's time and money.

But if all tax payers behaved like him where would we be,it's simply not good enough.

That is a staggering deflection of the issue. If SUFC paid on time their legally owed dues (and it’s absolutely clear to every business when money is due) then HMRC wouldn’t have to waste tax payers money chasing it. If they didn’t enforce immediately then some businesses would just take the P even more.

You need to take off your blue tinted specs on this issue

But if all tax payers behaved like him where would we be,it's simply not good enough.

I know, I know, but it is the way he conducts himself, however much we - and HMRC - disapprove.

I know, I know, but it is the way he conducts himself, however much we - and HMRC - disapprove.

But in your original post you were blaming HMRC for being too trigger happy (my paraphrase but I think it captures your point) and now try and excuse it by suggesting it’s “just the way Ron is”!? This is 100% on Mr Martin, your blind loyalty for your club is generally admirable but on this it’s just a bit weird, like you’ve almost got a blind spot (or soft spot??) for Ron.

You’ve not applied to be his new cleaner have you!?!

There is a clue in the name. They are only issued to wind up a few Southend fans.

But in your original post you were blaming HMRC for being too trigger happy (my paraphrase but I think it captures your point) and now try and excuse it by suggesting it’s “just the way Ron is”!? This is 100% on Mr Martin, your blind loyalty for your club is generally admirable but on this it’s just a bit weird, like you’ve almost got a blind spot (or soft spot??) for Ron.

You’ve not applied to be his new cleaner have you!?!

Absolutely not! What I am saying is, that, as we are all aware, there is not even an hour's leeway where football clubs, certainly CERTAIN football clubs, are concerned. There are no ifs and buts, when it's late a winding up order is issued - and that's what I have a problem with.

Please be clear, I am not defending the club's stance here - they absolutely should pay on time, but there have been occasions where it has been a day or two late in the past (not saying that's what it is now) and an order issued. There should be an interim action - a threat of action at the point it's late, not straight to issuing the order.

Absolutely not! What I am saying is, that, as we are all aware, there is not even an hour's leeway where football clubs, certainly CERTAIN football clubs, are concerned. There are no ifs and buts, when it's late a winding up order is issued - and that's what I have a problem with.

Please be clear, I am not defending the club's stance here - they absolutely should pay on time, but there have been occasions where it has been a day or two late in the past (not saying that's what it is now) and an order issued. There should be an interim action - a threat of action at the point it's late, not straight to issuing the order.

Let's also be clear here. The countless winding up petitions don't make a jot of difference. They don't cost us a penny since we always represent ourselves in court and have paid anything due by the court date.

The only potential issue is that with each winding up petition we are put under a transfer embargo, but whilst the transfer window is shut that isn't an issue. So long as Ron makes sure we're up to date when we want/need to sign players then it won't impact us at all. Even that isn't definite. My understanding is that we were actually under an embargo when we signed Humphrys, but Ron found some loophole round that.

Anyone who thinks we're the only club in financial dire straits is rather naive. Most clubs owe each other money for various transfers etc. The generally accepted way of dealing with it is to raise a complaint with the FA the day before the money is paid. That way the FA are informed, and the offending club are put under an embargo for 1 day! All clubs generally look out for each other in that respect.

Our issue is that the money isn't owed to an organisation willing to play by football's (rather odd) conventions. We owe money to HMRC, and over the years they have become rightly fed up with football clubs owing them millions. They have no time for football clubs since football rules state that monies owed to eachother take precedence over any other debts. Therefore HMRC are duty bound to protect themselves against a club going to the wall owing them money.

Ron plays the game, and in doing so drags the name of the club through the mud. To us fans, and fans of other clubs that looks awful. I personally hate it. However, within football I would imagine that it makes no difference. I also doubt any agent or player will worry about that, so long as they know the playing staff are paid on time...

Last edited:
I accept we may be a day or two late - so, my point remains, just pay it ON TIME! I know my road tax is due on x date so I pay it before it gets out-of-date. Delaying it makes no sense to me.

I accept we may be a day or two late - so, my point remains, just pay it ON TIME! I know my road tax is due on x date so I pay it before it gets out-of-date. Delaying it makes no sense to me.

Unless you have no money to pay the invoices

Sometimes fine line, pay the staff or HMRC, which will kick up the fuss the most

One would assume that Mr Campbell sought certain reassurances from Ronald before joining

Let's also be clear here. The countless winding up petitions don't make a jot of difference. They don't cost us a penny since we always represent ourselves in court and have paid anything due by the court date.

I'm sure that's not right and there are some fees/costs to be paid.

Our issue is that the money isn't owed to an organisation willing to play by football's (rather odd) conventions. We owe money to HMRC, and over the years they have become rightly fed up with football clubs owing them millions. They have no time for football clubs since football rules state that monies owed to each other take precedence over any other debts. Therefore HMRC are duty bound to protect themselves against a club going to the wall owing them money.

Ron plays the game, and in doing so drags the name of the club through the mud. To us fans, and fans of other clubs that looks awful. I personally hate it.

Agree absolutely.

So has Ron paid it, about to pay it, so we see another dismissal, or going to default and we see the Winding Up of Southend United Football Club (The)?

Winding Up Order 4th. December 2019 10.30pm.

Link

Back