• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Windows 10 - Good, bad or indifferent?

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
So far I have only managed to upgrade one of the household's 3 laptops to Windows 10, that was from 8.1. The one with Windows 7 on does all the early stuff, downloading etc and then fails with permissions failure when trying to install. The third and final laptop has Windows 8 on it so can't go up to Windows 10 unless I upgrade to 8.1. Every time I try that it fails after 50% of the install.

I can't say that I have much love for Microsoft at the moment. Anyone else having problems?

Stop press- Mrs RBH has just told me that Windows 10 is very slow and she does not like it, and can I go back to Windows 8.1 please...FFS.:'(

It's fine. Certainly not slow.

Miles better than windows 8.

Installed fine on both my win 7 machines. You disabled antivirus?

Yeah found it decent when I upgraded my old laptop from 7. But then my MacBook arrived last week.

It's fine. Certainly not slow.

Miles better than windows 8.

Installed fine on both my win 7 machines. You disabled antivirus?

Did that early on in this saga, and malwarebytes! On the Win 7 m/c I eventually did a factory restore, left off everything but the basics and still the Win 10 upgrade failed. I trawled pages and pages of web anorak stuff on Microsoft, users forums etc. Lots of folk have had my error failure occurring at the same point mine does. What is missing is someone offering a solution that works. there is probably a simple solution if you are knowledgeable enough, and instinct tells me it revolves round permissions as an administrator.

Its good that you are pleased with Win 10. I haven't had a look at my wife's since I did the upgrade, which went as sweet as a nut from Win 8.1, so she may be grumbling unnecessarily.

I assume the user you are logged in as when doing it is an administrator account and not standard?

I work in IT so spend most of my waking hours on PCs, Windows 7 was a great OS and Windows 8 was a massive pile of steaming dog ****. However Windows 10 looks good.

I updated my PCs and just carried on using them, havent bothered trying to use new features and its worked pretty flawlessly. The only issue Ive found in the past couple of weeks is the NVidia driver doesnt like SLI configurations on Battlefield 4, but Id imagine that doesnt affect most people :smile:

During the install my older PC did take ages to update and that one was quite sluggish for the first day or so, I think it was still running updates etc, its been fine since.

Rolled back to 7. Upgraded fine and surprisingly quickly but kept getting whole system crashes for no reason. Lost about 4 hours of Football Manager and decided I couldn't live with that.

Their best OS yet, update was flawless and took less than an hour all in on my original installation of Windows 7 Pro that I installed about 5 years ago.

I'll be doing a clean install probably on Sunday on my new Samsung EVO SSD and swapping out my old GTX670 SLI with the GTX980Ti I picked up last week. :thumbsup:

Updated my Dell XPS 13, took a while longer, probably due to wifi and had problems with gfx drivers and trackpad.

OK for me to sort out but would have been a pain for anyone not so tech savy...

So, after my assertion "Linux all the way", I upgraded to Win 10 after some credit card fraud was linked to the fact that Firefox on Linux is full of holes that is being exploited. I must say it's ok....however I was starting to run into problems - Internet connection dropping for no reason, laptop slowing and frequently crashing - so I reset Windows. Lost all my apps, but it didn't take long to reinstall and it's running fine again.

I just hope that this won't be a regular occurance.....

We have it on our laptop, which my wife mostly uses and I use only when we're away for weekends,holidays etc.

No particular problems to report.

I'd like to update to it on my pooter (from XP) but that's not possible.:sad:

Old Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse not supported , otherwise a fairly good upgrade straight from 7 on the main PC

New laptop already had it loaded

Seems pretty good , but I must admit the PC/laptop gets no where near the use they used to, tablets , I pads etc do the brunt of it these days

One of it's less endearing features is the inability to go back to the previous version of Windows, i.e. the one that was installed at the factory. You can revert for a month and then that route vanishes. Obviously, you can revert to a fresh Windows 10, but that ain't a lot of good in you don't like Windows 10 after a month. I also find that the constant downloading of system updates as the default is a pain, ok, that can be changed, but still is a nuisance. And I don't like the Edge as a browser. Apart from all that it's ok and definitely an improvement on Windows 8.1.

Edge is pants, so I downloaded Chrome. I had Malware bytes & Avast on there, and I think it's one or both of those that was the issue, so sticking with AVG now which never had an issue with.

Had some problems updating on my mates machine due to the copy he had of Windows 8 as he bought it whilst in Asia, for some reason the free upgrade wouldn't work. Installed it on mine though and my sisters laptop, I definitely think its better than 8 but 8 was a sideways step and unless you had a touch screen, it was just annoying to use. I would always end-up downloading classic shell so that I could use the old start menu. I hate it when Microsoft try to be too fancy like they did with Vista too. Windows 10 is simplified again but with some good functions. Cortana I'm not too sure about, I just disabled it as I use my computer with a lot of tabs and programs open so I don't like extra stuff using up memory or screen space. I like to keep everything minimalistic and simple. I'd recommend doing the upgrade, especially if you've got 8 installed at the moment. Windows 7 was perfectly good though and my favourite in recent memory.

Had some problems updating on my mates machine due to the copy he had of Windows 8 as he bought it whilst in Asia, for some reason the free upgrade wouldn't work. Installed it on mine though and my sisters laptop, I definitely think its better than 8 but 8 was a sideways step and unless you had a touch screen, it was just annoying to use. I would always end-up downloading classic shell so that I could use the old start menu. I hate it when Microsoft try to be too fancy like they did with Vista too. Windows 10 is simplified again but with some good functions. Cortana I'm not too sure about, I just disabled it as I use my computer with a lot of tabs and programs open so I don't like extra stuff using up memory or screen space. I like to keep everything minimalistic and simple. I'd recommend doing the upgrade, especially if you've got 8 installed at the moment. Windows 7 was perfectly good though and my favourite in recent memory.

It may be that your mate's laptop needs to go up to 8.1 to get Windows 10 installed. I had W8 with one laptop and the only way to make W10 load was to upgrade to 8.1 first. the other option would be to do a factory reset and go back to whatever was on there at factory install, probably W7. Windows 10 will upgrade from Windows 7.

It may be that your mate's laptop needs to go up to 8.1 to get Windows 10 installed. I had W8 with one laptop and the only way to make W10 load was to upgrade to 8.1 first. the other option would be to do a factory reset and go back to whatever was on there at factory install, probably W7. Windows 10 will upgrade from Windows 7.

Ah fair enough, i'll have to have a look for him when I get chance.

Back