• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Windows 8

Jam_Man

Life President
Anyone using it?

Just setting up a Windows 8 machine and first impressions arent great.

Very much designed for tablets and just doesnt feel right on a PC.

Had to google how to restart it which hardly shouts intuitive!

Yeah have a new laptop with it on and it's definitely for touch screen devices and less technical users. Considering uninstalling and putting Windows XP on.

To think that there is a huge migration project going on at my place just to get to windows 7... Is 7 any good? By the time it's complete no doubt we will look at moving to 8 for all the user complaints.

It still has desktop mode though which is identical to Windows 7, and I've seen a download that gives you back the start button...

Anyone using it?

Just setting up a Windows 8 machine and first impressions arent great.

Very much designed for tablets and just doesnt feel right on a PC.

Had to google how to restart it which hardly shouts intuitive!

We are currently in UAT for Win 8 for a select group of IT personnel. We are running XP for business users that need some legacy apps and other users have Win 7. The hope id that Win 8 will be rolled out directly but I don't think every day users will take to it. I think with the full version on Win 8 you can't even revert to the Win 7 look and feel.

Personally, my work laptop is Win 7 and I wouldn't want to use Win 8. That said, I have my own personal Win 7 laptop for home use and a laptop with Win 8 on just for home testing and I enjoy messing about with it.

Just think of the new Win8 start screen as a much better Start menu and you'll get on fine with it. XP really needs to die a death now, it was good for it's time but move on people.

Got a Nokia 820 with windows 8 and a free PC Windows 8 upgrade which is on the way.Its great on the phone cant see it being bad on the pc. Suppose its just something to get used to.

It still has desktop mode though which is identical to Windows 7, and I've seen a download that gives you back the start button...

It does, but whats the point in having to download 3rd party apps to get back what everyone wants to use.

Having a start screen is a terrible idea for anything but a tablet.

It beggars belief Microsoft thought the current setup is viable.

my mate got it with his new laptop, had a go at installing iTunes on it, a very frustrating experience and we couldn't get the job done. The whole UI was horrible too in terms of finding things like the Control Panel....and the desktop, I'm sure it works a lot better on tablets and touchscreens though.

seems like MS have done a "Vista" again, in no hurry to leave Win7 on that basis.

Agreed Kenny, it will look very nice on Tablets but for PC, especially work, this is a windows ME/Vista and should have been launched as an edition and not the main OS.

Still Win7 is a good operating system and no need to upgrade anytime soon.

Got it on my new Laptop and it's driving me effing mad. The thing keeps coming up with "Windows needs to be Activated", when i try it fails every time. IMHO the activation should have been done already and my IT guys at work agree and say that the Software was probably corrupt and needs resetting completely. Now i've had to reset the bloody thing!

Think i'll go back to Windows 3.1

Only used Windows 8 on a family members laptop and IMO it's a complete pile of ****.

Horrible to use, overly complicated and buggy.

Certainly not the future of desktop OS.

Avoid.

I think I must be one of the only people in the world who actually like and enjoy using windows 8 :/ might e because i'm used to using windows phones idk...

Back