• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Cant help but think decesion to let Dave Martin go is not a good one? Dont think he is amazing but he does give us genuine width and his record of goal scoring is fair. This is unless Martin is being moved in to bring in someone else.

Saturday Ryan Leonard looked like a little boy lost to me. Why we cant play two proper wingers at home in a game we should be winning is beyond me. Personally I think having Hall, Hurst and Martin down the wings (two from three) would make so much more sense than sticking a right footed utility player outwide.

At one point we had Leonard and Prosser as our lift side. Where the hell is the chances going to come from with these two. Hope to god that LUggy doesnt do this again as it was embarrasing. Nothing came down the left unless Tomlin drifted out wide.

I remember us all (me included) clammering for 2 wingers end of last season and when Martin got his chance did absolutely nothing.

Not convinced by Leonard (who started on the right and switched with Hall during first half). Would like to see Hurst to see what he can do.

On a positive, at least we are playing with two wingers now, whether you agree with the selection or not...

I think Dave Martin was under used. He definitely had obvious talent. He probably needs a run of games in a team.
As for Leonard, I think Luggy has overated him. He's slow, and not a goal threat and hardly creative. Is he there for the long throw then? only, that's not working either.

I remember us all (me included) clammering for 2 wingers end of last season and when Martin got his chance did absolutely nothing.

Apart from scoring 3 goals in his first 8 starts. I think he goes missing at times but poses a threat in the final third.

I agree Leonard had a stinker on saturday + looked totally lost especially when on the left . Lets be honest though he is a 19 year old right back who is away from his comfort zone. He is ideal on the right hand side away from home when we have 5 in midfield but at home i would go with Hurst or Tomlin on one side with Hall on the other.

Tomorrow night's team selection will be interesting though , does Luggy go Cresswell up front with Tomlin/ Hall / Ferdinand just behind him ?

I feel Asombolonga is a good super sub but i dont see how he is any better than Benyon , who has a proven scoring record at this level as opposed to a teenager who scored a couple for Braintree Town last year. No offence to the lad , but he is too similar to what we've already got. What we really need is someone to play the Barry Corr role + to me Cresswell is the only one who looks capable of holding it up .

...............................................................SMITH................................................
CLOHESSEY............PHILLIPS.........................................BARKER..................PROSSER
LEONARD...............SPICER..............FERDINAND.............TIMLIN......................HALL
..............................................CRESSWELL......................................................

SUBS. ASSOMBALONGA, BENYON, TOMLIN, BELFORD,STRAKER, HARRIS, HURST

I agree Dave. Given a good run in the side he would of been very useful IMO.

I honestly don't see what Leonard brings to the table, other than a half decent throw and a decent strike (If he gets to use it)

Not a starter for me, but a useful back up.

I would personally have Hall (right wing) and Hurst or Martin (left wing) and I am at a loss as to why Leonard was picked ahead of those two on Sat.

Short memories. Leonard offers balance, didn't have a great game Saturday though last season our best form was when he was playing.

A front three of Hall Eastwood Tomlin would be fairly strong in League 1 and possibly the Championship.

Not sure what this 'no cutting edge' is all about, we weren't missing cutting edge at all we were however missing someone to actually use their professional footballing ability and finish off our chances properly!

2 wingers in a 442 doesn't really work. You need someone in the mould of Leonard to offer balance.

At home against Accrington Stanley, first game of the season you should not be playing two right backs on your right hand side. If Hall is going to switch wings which he does occasionally then you need someone equally adept at doing so on the other flank. Either Martin or Hurst would be the option, possibly Tomlin once Freddy is fit.

I swear half of you wouldn't pick a keeper because it's a waste of an attacking spot.

You can only play 2 out and out wingers if you've got two ball-winners/defensive holding midfielders in midfield. We've only got the one. Either we sign some cloggers to kick people in midfield or we balance that out by picking a wide midfielder who can contribute when we don't have the ball.

I agree Dave. Given a good run in the side he would of been very useful IMO.

I honestly don't see what Leonard brings to the table, other than a half decent throw and a decent strike (If he gets to use it)

Not a starter for me, but a useful back up.

I would personally have Hall (right wing) and Hurst or Martin (left wing) and I am at a loss as to why Leonard was picked ahead of those two on Sat.

Leonard for my mind is back up to Clohessey and not a lot else. Yet PS seems to pick him on an ongoing basis. I havent seen a lot in his game to think he is anything special except the long shot/throw. Bow to PS's greater judgement but really want Hurst/Martin starting sooner rather than later.

Short memories. Leonard offers balance, didn't have a great game Saturday though last season our best form was when he was playing.

A front three of Hall Eastwood Tomlin would be fairly strong in League 1 and possibly the Championship.

With 442, which it looks like we are playing at home now (as we finished the season with) were arent going to have 3 up front, but certainly having those three playing looks good on paper, if we can get them fit.

Not sure what this 'no cutting edge' is all about, we weren't missing cutting edge at all we were however missing someone to actually use their professional footballing ability and finish off our chances properly!

Being able to finish properly is having cutting edge .

2 wingers in a 442 doesn't really work. You need someone in the mould of Leonard to offer balance.

Well Tilson used to play 1 winger and one central midfielder on the right, wasnt something I really liked but worked then.

Not sure it cant be done but it does make sense to not have two out and out wingers if you want a bit more defensively. All depends on the wingers I guess, if they defend well enough no reason not to have two.

Danburyshrimper: why on earth would you go with a CB up front? I dont get it? We have strikers - play one in their correct position!

Someone posted that certain players signed by Luggy should be knocking on his door this morning asking for answers as to why they were not picked to start on Saturday. Well somebody else who should be hammering on the door is Ron Martin, asking why these players are on the payroll if not to be picked, especially at home. Aside from Martin, Hurst must be a worried man. Well, of course Luggy needs options but his track record is one of a very cautious approach. It does make you wonder what passes in the exchanges when, for example, Luggy is talking to a prospective signing like Hurst and the question arises ( as presumably it would?) of what playing style the manager will adopt and what role the prospective signing will play in it. If the question was raised in each case, I wonder what answers were given to Martin and Hurst for example.

I know its not ideal but having seen the way Sturrock shapes his team away from home our whole play is based upon one man holding up the ball + then quick midfielders supporting on the break ... Show me one of our forwards who are good at holding up the ball???? ... Thats why i am amazed that we have too many forwards who are so similar in style , yet none of them fit into our style from last seasons massively successful away tactics. We are crying out for a big fella up front ...

On saturday how many times did the big number 5 Leo Roget lookalike from accrington win the header + the ball just kept coming back ... only when Cresswell came on + win every header did we look much more dangerous + we created chances. I know its basic + not good to watch but i dont want to see us bottom after 3 games .

Someone posted that certain players signed by Luggy should be knocking on his door this morning asking for answers as to why they were not picked to start on Saturday. Well somebody else who should be hammering on the door is Ron Martin, asking why these players are on the payroll if not to be picked, especially at home. Aside from Martin, Hurst must be a worried man. Well, of course Luggy needs options but his track record is one of a very cautious approach. It does make you wonder what passes in the exchanges when, for example, Luggy is talking to a prospective signing like Hurst and the question arises ( as presumably it would?) of what playing style the manager will adopt and what role the prospective signing will play in it. If the question was raised in each case, I wonder what answers were given to Martin and Hurst for example.

Agreed on this. Only thing I would say is maybe Hurst had slight knock/flu etc... We never really know. If not then it is a slight worry that three of the new signings (Straker, Hurst, Cresswell) started the first game on the bench. Think Cresswell had a knock in fairness.

Jam Man,

Maybe I think cutting edge is something different, for me cutting edge is a final ball to create a scoring opportunity. Bit of a stupid argument really.

I thought Tomlin was really really effective. A bit more composure infront of goal at the end and it would have been a point for us.

I think a 451 when we don't have possession and a 433 when we do with 2 really athletic forwards in Hall and Tomlin could work.

And if we can get Timlin Ferdinand and Spicer in midfield who all on their day can be very effective passing to feet we've got a seriously good formation! And that's without including others who will be pushing for a starting XI spot!

We will see, it's certainly far from doom and gloom and our new players certainly have hit the ground running.

Bring on POX!!!!!!!!!!!

How can tomlin be 'really really effective' when he had two clear cut chances and fluffed them both ? Was really disappointed with him to be honest, but it was his first game so wont judge yet.

The 4-5-1 / 433 was what we used last year with Dickinson. We changed to 442 after Freddy joined and shot up the form table, personally dont want to go back to 1 up front. Being able to use 3 forwards will be a useful option to have during games but Id rather stick with 442.

442 for me with Timlin/Spicer in middle. Hall and Hurst on the wings and Eastwood/Harris up front.

Absolutely spot on. With Hall given so much freedom on one side, the other side needs to be able to stay narrow and create a three when needed.

Much like Gower/Pettefer

Apart from Hurst who else should have been knocking?

Martin has been listed.

The only other player who was fit (that I know of) and could have played was Benyon?

How can tomlin be 'really really effective' when he had two clear cut chances and fluffed them both ? Was really disappointed with him to be honest, but it was his first game so wont judge yet.

The 4-5-1 / 433 was what we used last year with Dickinson. We changed to 442 after Freddy joined and shot up the form table, personally dont want to go back to 1 up front. Being able to use 3 forwards will be a useful option to have during games but Id rather stick with 442.

442 for me with Timlin/Spicer in middle. Hall and Hurst on the wings and Eastwood/Harris up front.

Fair enough I suppose. But for me he got in the positions, skinned a few players, put some balls in, quick feet. I'd be surprised if anyone was disappointed with his all round performance.

Just because he missed a few chances doesn't mean that the rest of his game was ****.

How good was Suarez the other day getting in positions and stuff but NO composure. Doesn't mean he was ****. Not to me anyway!

Back