• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cluniemore

The Wee Birdie
A wee birdie told me that the manager has been reading the fans comments about the style and standard of performance.He maintains that there is a certain criteria and certain stats that are part of the ingredients of a winning formula that he is insistant is emphasised by the team . But he believes it is the players attitude workrate and will to win that are the main reasons for this winning run .Sooner or he hopes latter we are going to lose its how we respond to that which will determine our fate .

Cheers Paul. Obviously I continue to wish you and the players well in the remainder of the season.

Just one thing : Can you give an assurance that you are not going to Hibernian?

I don't for one minute think you will go there but there is a lot of crap about this subject on the football rumours site..

Back to the team: It is quite amazing how you have turned things around in such a short space of time obviously assisted by Graham and obviously having the players who have produced on the pitch. Your experience has been vital in this and we as supporters are lucky and appreciative we've had a manager with this quality amongst others.

I hope very much we will be up come the end of the season and I think we might just do that.

I suspect January will be a key time for everyone concerned what with the transfer window opening. Hopefully we'll be able to hang onto all our key players. ( I see the Echo reports today that Kane is still being linked with West Ham). I support you 100% in this just like I and we do when you send your players out into battle on the pitch.

Up The Blues

Just one thing : Can you give an assurance that you are not going to Hibernian?

I don't for one minute think you will go there but there is a lot of crap about this subject on the football rumours site..

No need for Paul to answer that as you've answered your own question.

Personally I dont know why everyone is moaning when we are top of the leagur, 7 points clear of 4th and in all the cups bar one still.

Personally I dont know why everyone is moaning when we are top of the leagur, 7 points clear of 4th and in all the cups bar one still.

I don't see that many people moaning, they are just discussing things to do with the club....Shall we shut the board down now then as we are top etc etc...and only bring it back on line when the run stops?..Just because we are where we are should not stop debate.

Thanks cricko. I believed I put forward a legitamate question to put it to bed once and for all. It seems to me those that have criticised this possibly were the ones who wanted Paul out last season. And will probably criticise him as soon as we don't win for a few games. Hypocrites. Always the same when their team is on a fine run. as soon as the run ends they'll be moaning themselves. Like they did when Tilly was axed. Then I'm sure Ron was a nasty so and so. Now we're winning those that were abused are the heroes. I don't see how I was moaning in the first place. I said I supported the efforts of the Manager and the players, Appreciative of what they've thus far and stood by my belief we will go up. How is that moaning? Its all one way traffic with rose tinted die hards. when the team's winning of course. when things are pear shaped there fingers will be pointing at others to blame.

I'd like to give "out a shout" for Coughlan ......... is it a co-incidence that since Sturrock has had a good assistant, the points on the board total has increased? What's more he seems like a "nice bloke" who is well respected by the players. :thumbsup:

I don't see that many people moaning, they are just discussing things to do with the club....Shall we shut the board down now then as we are top etc etc...and only bring it back on line when the run stops?..Just because we are where we are should not stop debate.

Having missed Daggers due to a wedding I read the thread about the game and half of it was moaning.

The style of football, various players not on form etc. Had to stop half way through as it was more doom and gloom than I wanted. No issues with people expressing there views but just find some people a little over negative considering this one of the few seasons in my lifetime where we have been so far top as we are by this stage.

Personally I am pretty much in love with everything to do with the club (Ron Martin excepted) at the moment.

Dear Paul Sturrock,

Ignore the minority, we're winning.

Note: for the moaners, weren't all 3 of our goals scored & created on the deck?

Cheers!

The SZ Nation.

Sorry Paul. According to some on here Praising what you've done with our team so far is deemed eternally pessimistic.

I suppose I should have said please resign.

Having missed Daggers due to a wedding I read the thread about the game and half of it was moaning.

The style of football, various players not on form etc. Had to stop half way through as it was more doom and gloom than I wanted. No issues with people expressing there views but just find some people a little over negative considering this one of the few seasons in my lifetime where we have been so far top as we are by this stage.

Personally I am pretty much in love with everything to do with the club (Ron Martin excepted) at the moment.

I was one of the people on that thread that felt very nonplus coming away from Daggers..as I said maybe its just me and I am fully aware of PS's tactics on how to win games as he explained it to us at a meeting with fans sometime back..I am over the moon we are top and riding high but I am hardly ever entertained by the football we play ATM and maybe therein lies the problem for me.

Thanks cricko. I believed I put forward a legitamate question to put it to bed once and for all.

Which Cluniemore had previously answered -

cluniemore said:
A wee birdie told me that there is no way the manager has thoughts other than the challenge ahead to help promote the shrimpers . This is going to be a big task with the amount of teams challenging but he relishes the battle ahead.

I do recall that statement. But that was to do with the Plymouth Speculation. The Hibs talk came after that. However I'm prepared to accept He possibly meant ALL talk by that statement.

I do recall that statement. But that was to do with the Plymouth Speculation. The Hibs talk came after that. However I'm prepared to accept He possibly meant ALL talk by that statement.

He said he was committed to getting us promoted - he didn't add a caveat that said 'Unless the Hibs job comes along!':smile:

As I said on that other thread - there's nothing you or I can do to influence player or manager movements, in or out, so just sit back,chill out and enjoy the ride!

A wee birdie told me that the manager has been reading the fans comments about the style and standard of performance.He maintains that there is a certain criteria and certain stats that are part of the ingredients of a winning formula that he is insistant is emphasised by the team . But he believes it is the players attitude workrate and will to win that are the main reasons for this winning run .Sooner or he hopes latter we are going to lose its how we respond to that which will determine our fate .

Mr Sturrock, don't worry about the fans comments on the style of play (I'm sure you don't). This is a forum so will lead to discussions and fans trying to analyse the game, but what I know is that the crowds are up, people around the town who have previously found other things to do on a Saturday afternoon are now going back to watch Southend play, people are looking forward to the next fixtures with anticipation not felt in years, enthusiasm is up, away trips are planned, we have players in the team we fans can start to be proud of and relate to and the teams ability to win in different circumstances has been exceptional up til now. It may not continue; we have 23 teams trying to beat us, but thank you for what you have done til now and lets up it can continue! (I'm a pessimist so always think the wheels are going to come off, but am gaining some faith....)

Paul

We're winning games and if that means sometimes we win a little ugly to get out of this league, then I'm happy. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work..

To be honest I was also one of our fans who wasn't best pleased at our style of play. I got shouted down on here after the Shrewsbury game for daring to criticise the team after a win which put us top for the first time this season.

HOWEVER

I'm a convert and think I can see where Sturrock is going with the system he has in place and its clearly working. We were quite direct on Saturday but when we did get the ball down and play we scored. The moves for all 3 goals were first class for this level. I'm happy to do whatever it takes to get out of League 2 and hopefully if we got to League One we'd start to play a bit more football.

I think the reason I've come around to the style is due to becoming more confident in the players to perform, if we concede I know we have goals all over the side and can get back in to a game. I also think the players have got the ball down and played for spells in most games a lot more since then. Even players like Peter Gilbert, who was renowned for always looking for the long ball has improved immeasurably. If he hits it long he's finding Dicko up front and we build from there. I love how our success is down to being a great "team" and being a sum of our parts. Yes we have key players but we're not a 1 man team which means whatever happens in January we should at least make the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what happens when we do finally lose but I'm hopeful we have enough quality in the squad and there are so many poor sides in this division that we'll be ok.

I was one of the people on that thread that felt very nonplus coming away from Daggers..as I said maybe its just me and I am fully aware of PS's tactics on how to win games as he explained it to us at a meeting with fans sometime back..I am over the moon we are top and riding high but I am hardly ever entertained by the football we play ATM and maybe therein lies the problem for me.

Can understand where you coming from. Got a feeling I read from Clunimore himself that we cant play Barcelona style football at this level and that it was almways a formula that has worked before that gets you out of L2.

Personally I think we have seen some great goals this season, (Hall, Moshni, Timlin etc) and whilst it isnt the beautiful game personified I dont think its bad football and what really matters to me is that buzz at 5.45pm when I make my way home with 3 points behind us.

Back