• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winter Coats - what's your preference?

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Thinking of investing in a new winter coat. I have seen a Fjallraven parka I quite fancy but it isn't waterproof which puts me off a bit.

What's your style for the winter? Gore tex/Poor tex shell, anorak or a smart raincoat or wool overcoat?

I've got a few on the go:

Waterproof North Face coat for days like today (really wet but not too cold)
Cheap waterproof parka (from Ark) for commuting to work when it's cold and wet
Farah duffle coat which is a bit smarter
North Face gillet for when it's dry and cold.

I'd love a Fjallraven coat but ££££

I have got a waterproof North Face jacket but it seems as if every male commuter in London over 40 has the same one.

I have an Aquascutum wool peacoat I bought about ten years ago but I don't wear it to work because my rucksack makes the shoulders go a bit bobbly.

I also have a 3/4 double breasted grey herringbone number which I might flog because I never wear it.

Last edited:
Wool peacoat for when it is really cold
Smart rain mac for over my suit
Parka or Barbour for when it is cold-ish but they don't really do the job and I have to make sure I'm scarved and jumpered up.

Disappointed that a Campri ski jacket isn't in your range though Cyril.

I used to buy my Campri Ski jackets from what is now Zebbedee Zhop on Alexandra Street.

They were **** in the wet weather though.

Rab is the best make and they do all sorts of different types. Go to Go Outdoors website or one of their shops they are pretty well priced too and often have a good offer on.

Rab is the best make and they do all sorts of different types. Go to Go Outdoors website or one of their shops they are pretty well priced too and often have a good offer on.

I do like some of the technical gear but the thing is I don't want to look like a venture scout.

I have one I bought almost 10 years ago in Seville. My wife and I went there for the weekend. The weather forecast was for spring-like weather so we didn't take any warm coats. When we got there it was freezing. After a day of feeling cold and miserable we both went shopping. I bought a coat made by Springfield very similar to this:

View attachment 2915

It was in the sale and cost me 40 Euros! It should have cost about 150 Euros. I only bought it because I had very little choice, and was desperate, but 10 years on I'm still wearing it for one simple reason: It is the warmest most comfortable coat I have ever owned. It is also still in fantastic condition.

(Because the weather isn't too cold at the moment I'm still wearing my Berghaus.)

I have one I bought almost 10 years ago in Seville. My wife and I went there for the weekend. The weather forecast was for spring-like weather so we didn't take any warm coats. When we got there it was freezing. After a day of feeling cold and miserable we both went shopping. I bought a coat made by Springfield very similar to this:

View attachment 2915

It was in the sale and cost me 40 Euros! It should have cost about 150 Euros. I only bought it because I had very little choice, and was desperate, but 10 years on I'm still wearing it for one simple reason: It is the warmest most comfortable coat I have ever owned.

View attachment 2915

It was in the sale and cost me 40 Euros! It should have cost about 150 Euros. I only bought it because I had very little choice, and was desperate, but 10 years on I'm still wearing it for one simple reason: It is the warmest most comfortable coat I have ever owned. It is also still in fantastic condition.

(Because the weather isn't too cold at the moment I'm still wearing my Berghaus.)

So good you bought it twice?

Bought something from Matalan for £25. Does the job. Be ****ed if I'd pay through the nose because it's got a trendy name on it.

Bought something from Matalan for £25. Does the job. Be ****ed if I'd pay through the nose because it's got a trendy name on it.

I'm not a labels person but with coats I like to buy something that is built to last and that you can wear near naked flames and incandescent materials.

Don't rule out Rohan if you want a 3/4 length 'three in one'. Not cheap but mine saw me through the very wet/cold stuff last winter without problems, and whilst very light to wear, they are incredibly breathable and wind proof.

Missus just bought me a nice Ma.Strum 3/4 Length Officers Jacket. Got a great removable lining as well. Pricey but she knows where her bread is buttered.

Back