• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Turpinator

Saga Lout
I've got Virgin Media Cable Broadband with the router they gave me when it was installed.

However, I've just got a PS3 & given my router is in a different room , I want to go wireless.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent wireless router that is compatible with cable broadband?

Can't you call up VM Customer Services and ask their advice?
If they try & flog you one of their routers, claim you will cancel your service unless they give you one cheap or for free!

You sure you have a router not just a cable modem??

I am with Virgin and all i have is a cable modem, for wireless I have connected a Netgear WiFi router which only has ethernet ports and no ADSL capability as this is not needed for Cable.

So you connect your new Wifi Router WAN Ethernet port to the Cable Modem and then RTFM. ;)

Also if you are on the 20Mb deal like me, you need to make sure your new router can really handle this throughput otherwise you will never hit the 20mb. So for that I would suggest buying a brand new router/latest model .

I am with Virgin and all i have is a cable modem, for wireless I have connected a Netgear WiFi router which only has ethernet ports and no ADSL capability as this is not needed for Cable.

So you connect your new Wifi Router WAN Ethernet port to the Cable Modem and then RTFM. ;)

Also if you are on the 20Mb deal like me, you need to make sure your new router can really handle this throughput otherwise you will never hit the 20mb. So for that I would suggest buying a brand new router/latest model .
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Thanks for the info BC.

I'm in a similar position - looking to go part wireless. So from my cable modem can I link up a router that will then link one of my PC's via ethernet cable (?) and one via a wireless link? Are there different standards/speeds for wireless? What's good? Thanks for any help - new to this wireless stuff.

So from my cable modem can I link up a router that will then link one of my PC's via ethernet cable (?) and one via a wireless link?

Correct most WiFi Routers come with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port (Ethernet or ADSL)

So for instance I have 3 PCs connected via Ethernet cable and then my laptop, PSP and Phone uses wifi to connect to the internet.

Good makes are Netgear and Linksys but there are others just read online reviews for what people are saying. Also it is best to get one with a built-in Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall, usually shown on the box as SPI. Netgear's offering or Linksys !

Following your advice Bob & after a look at reviews on the net, this morning I ordered a Linksys WRT54GS Speedbooster wireless router.

The best price I found was on ebuyer.

Thanks for your help so far Bob. What's the difference between "fast wired connectivity" and "gigabit wired connectivity" (just looking at the netgear draft N range)?

Edit.....
Think I've found the answer in that the gigabit wired is 10x faster than fast wired?.

Last edited:
To be honest Gigabit wired is not worth the extra bucks for a home user just for access to the internet, as you do not have Gigabit to the internet, in fact I am doubting anyone has more than 50MB at home to the internet yet.

If however you have a network at home and stream large multimedia files from a powerful server to another client via wires then you should look at the Gigabit version.

I hope this helps

Back