• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Wiring Advice

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
After some advice.....

I have taken a few days of to decorate our dinning room and need some advice on wiring up a light fitting, i know that Red(Live) connects to Brown and Black (Neutral) connects to Blue and of course Green/Yellow (Earth) connects to Green/Yellow.

As per pics below, my confusion comes with 3 wires coming out of the ceiling which wire up to the 3 coming out of the light fitting…..stright forward enough, although there is another Yellow/Green (Earth) that is attached to the actual light fitting itself???

Does this connect in to the Earth from the wiring coming out of the ceiling as well as the earth that is coming from the wiring out of the light fitting???

Hope that makes sense............

Forced coffee break now until i get some advice :)

n689425473_1565310_495.jpg

n689425473_1565311_798.jpg

Why not try a bit of trial and error?

If you try to turn on your lights and the street lights outside your house turn off and your television re-tunes to uncrypted indian channels then you know you've wired it up wrong.

Hope this helps

If you try to turn on your lights and the street lights outside your house turn off then you know you've wired it up wrong.

Hope this helps

And if i stop posting all of a sudden you will also know that i might have got it wrong!!!

:unsure:

Dave, all earths are indeed connected together if the light fitting it metal.

All earth MUST be at the same potential otherwise a floating earth can cause electrocution!

Dave, all earths are indeed connected together if the light fitting it metal.

All earth MUST be at the same potential otherwise a floating earth can cause electrocution!

So connect both earth's on the light fitting in to the household earth???

I believe that the earth wire on the fitting must be connected to the earth coming out - please don't rely on it being a metal fitting, recipie for disaster (unless it has an old "earth" sign (two squares i think) , not the one with lines that looks like a triangle).

To be honest would strongly recommend you call a sparks if you're unsure of this at all - and don't take advice from the internet - it's you and your families lives at risk with electricity...

If you try to turn on your lights and the street lights outside your house turn off and your television re-tunes to uncrypted indian channels then you know you've wired it up wrong.

Hope this helps

You say about street lighting in jest of course but 4 years ago in deepest shoebury on christmass day the eletric blow in the ground outside our house s o they turned up and stuck a big cable in to a lamp post and put it through the letter box into our leccy box,hope this helps.

I believe that the earth wire on the fitting must be connected to the earth coming out - please don't rely on it being a metal fitting, recipie for disaster (unless it has an old "earth" sign (two squares i think) , not the one with lines that looks like a triangle).

To be honest would strongly recommend you call a sparks if you're unsure of this at all - and don't take advice from the internet - it's you and your families lives at risk with electricity...

Wired it up as MK suggested and it all seems ok, tested the fitting with a volt meter and there is nothing at all, so all seems good.

Cheers for the advice though Carl

Back