• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wishing you luck

For saturday... against Yeovil, I'm taking the 4hour journey to watch a good game of footie.

Any good directions from the train station and friendly pubs to go to before kickoff??

Cheers guys and heres hoping to a good game.

Hi Justin,

As for trains and pubs... in true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier - hope it helps.

Matt

- - - - -

<span style='color:navy'>SUFC - pub tips

Depends where you're travelling to/from and how early you're going to be.

Around the ground there are three places to go: The Spread Eagle, The Golden Lion (both on Victoria Ave - see 3rd map below) and The Shrimpers Bar (at Roots Hall itself).

The Spread is where most of the Shrimpezone gang hang out, and that's a pretty friendly place. Don't know much about the Golden Lion, so can neither recommend it nor caution against it. The Shrimpers' Bar is underneath the main stand (East Stand) of Roots Hall. It's a very friendly place - a chap from the Shrimpers Trust will sign you in, and there's a reasonable pint of Bass served in there.

If you're coming in on the train, there are two train lines serving Southend. The train line that runs nearest Roots Hall is the Liverpool St - Southend Victoria line, with Prittlewell being the nearest station (under 5 minutes' walk from the ground). There's a pub near between the station and the ground on East Street called The Railway, but I've never thought that it looked terribly enticing...

If you're on the other train line (Fenchurch St - Shoeburyness) AND (importantly) have more than an hour to kill, then you might want to think about getting off at Leigh-on-sea and walking to Old Leigh - see this map:

Street map - Leigh-on-sea station

It's about 5 minutes walk from Leigh station, along Belton Gardens and then over Belton Bridge, and that brings you down into Old Leigh. There you'll find three lovely pubs - The Crooked Billet (my favourite - wonderful Adnams & Greene King) The Peterboat and The Smack Inn - the latter two have views over the estuary and are a lovely place to have a pint. Like I said, however, you'll need to have some spare time if you go there - the ground is unwalkably far from there - you'll either have to get back on the train, head to Southend Central and then walk from there (15-20 minutes' walk), or take a cab (£6-7) from Old Leigh to Roots Hall.

So, Old Leigh is a bit of a detour; however, it's well worth the effort BUT ONLY IF you've got plenty of time on your hands.

If you haven't got plenty of time, and you're either driving straight to the ground or taking the Liverpool St - Prittlewell service, then go either to the Spread Eagle or to the Shrimpers' Bar, underneath the main stand.

- - - - - -

As for Southend sea-front... it's a pretty bog standard sea-front, gaudy and full of hormonal teenagers. There is a fabulous fish'n'chip shop on the Eastern Esplanade:

Streetmap - Eastern Esplanade

called Bailey's Fish Fry Inn. Again, worth the detour if you have time & your own transport. Otherwise, the chippy on East Street (the same road as Prittlewell Station) near the junction with Victoria Avenue:

Streetmap - Arrow points at Roots Hall

is pretty good too.</span>

Glad to be of service&#33;

blues.gif

Matt

So Matt, can I deduce from that, that of you have a spare 2-3 mins then go to Leigh?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ April 21 2004,13:05)]So Matt, can I deduce from that, that of you have a spare 2-3 mins then go to Leigh?
biggrin.gif
I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 21 2004,11:48)]If you&#39;re on the other train line (Fenchurch St - Shoeburyness) AND (importantly) have more than an hour to kill

tounge.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagster69 @ April 21 2004,12:32)]I&#39;m just concerned - though not surprised.
Concerned about me, Shagster?

I appreciate your concern... but why are you concerned about me?

Just tryin&#39; to help...

rock.gif

Matt

Matt - next you&#39;ll be telling them to get a cab to Eastwood to visit the Bellhouse&#33;

Back