• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With God on our side?

Link doesn't work unless you're a subscriber (which I'm not).

By the way, I think you meant Rowan Williams - Runcie has been dead over a decade!

Oops.Don't follow the C of E that closely.:blush:
btw the link works now(for me at least)and I haven't had a subscription to the NS for some time.:smiles:

he should concentrate on touching kids.

He's not a priest, he's (probably) got a wife!

I completely agree, after watching the "poor kids" programme on the telly, the policies that I certainly didn't vote for when I ticked Lib Dem didn't mean that I wanted another extra million to sink below the poverty line. We're 20th out of 24th in Europe (I think) for kids in abject poverty, but one of the richest countries in the world. While Wayne Rooney gets £££'s to kick a ball about, perhaps he could feed some of the little sods who often missed dinner so they could heat their houses.

He's not a priest, he's (probably) got a wife!

I completely agree, after watching the "poor kids" programme on the telly, the policies that I certainly didn't vote for when I ticked Lib Dem didn't mean that I wanted another extra million to sink below the poverty line. We're 20th out of 24th in Europe (I think) for kids in abject poverty, but one of the richest countries in the world. While Wayne Rooney gets £££'s to kick a ball about, perhaps he could feed some of the little sods who often missed dinner so they could heat their houses.

Or maybe instead of moaning about it you should pull your finger out and work harder, earn more and pay more taxes so you can contribute as much to the starving kiddies as Wayne Rooney does?

Or maybe instead of moaning about it you should pull your finger out and work harder, earn more and pay more taxes so you can contribute as much to the starving kiddies as Wayne Rooney does?

They didn't moan. The programme was heart breaking, kids forced to live in absolute squalor because there were simply no jobs about. These weren't Jeremy Kyle fodder - a father who couldn't find work that worked around the fact he had 2 kids to look after because their mum walked out on them. Add in the fact that the child benefit idiots stopped paying one kid her money despite the fact she was in full time education. Kids had to live in tower blocks where the rooms were full of damp.

Don't make me laugh about taxes going to these people - that's the very last place they go - after the mega rich of the IMF and a war that we can't win, the poor and needy as so far down the list they may as well not exist - and wouldn't that fact make Cameron and Clegg happy with their second homes.

There has been quite a lot of criticism aimed at Williams because he, as archbishop, shouldn't be taking such an obviously party-political stance on this. I'm not sure that's quite why I think he's an imbecile. I think he's an imbecile because he is utterly wrong about this, as well as so many other issues on which he talks. Not only that, but for a doctor of theology, you might expect a little more profundity than the usual back-bench opposition bitching.

My article on it is here, if anyone fancies a read: http://tomleftley.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/archbishop-williams/

I find it hilarious that religion-hating pinkos like Barnaby are tying to co-opt the authority of God because that tool Williams is down on the coalition. In John 5:8, Jesus said 'take up thy bed and walk'. He didn't say 'stay there mate and sleep it off, some poor sap will walk for you'.

I find it hilarious that religion-hating pinkos like Barnaby are tying to co-opt the authority of God because that tool Williams is down on the coalition. In John 5:8, Jesus said 'take up thy bed and walk'. He didn't say 'stay there mate and sleep it off, some poor sap will walk for you'.

I don't hate religon at all.I'm an atheist.I just happen to agree with the Archbishop on this one.

I don't hate religon at all.I'm an atheist.I just happen to agree with the Archbishop on this one.

I derive great comfort from the fact that you're an atheist. The afterlife would hardly be eternal bliss if you were up there posting interminable links to Trotskyite comics.

They didn't moan. The programme was heart breaking, kids forced to live in absolute squalor because there were simply no jobs about. These weren't Jeremy Kyle fodder - a father who couldn't find work that worked around the fact he had 2 kids to look after because their mum walked out on them. Add in the fact that the child benefit idiots stopped paying one kid her money despite the fact she was in full time education. Kids had to live in tower blocks where the rooms were full of damp.

Don't make me laugh about taxes going to these people - that's the very last place they go - after the mega rich of the IMF and a war that we can't win, the poor and needy as so far down the list they may as well not exist - and wouldn't that fact make Cameron and Clegg happy with their second homes.

Field Marshall as well as Tax expert now i see.

You posted the link. Do YOU think he's right? If so, why? If not, why not?

I thought I'd made it clear above that I did agree with the Archbishop.

A previous Tory PM told us that "there was no such thing as society," back in the 80's.Cameron now tells us he wants to create a "big society".I think Rowan Williams is right to question what the programme for such "big society" initiatives actually consists of(does anybody actually claim to know?)and how it can be achieved on the back of large scale cuts and proposals for widespread reform in health and education reform, for which as he says "no one voted."
Like the Archbishop, I find the notion of the "deserving" and the "undeserving" poor, morally repugnant.
Like him,I question the cuts in youth services and wonder who is going to pick up the tab for Government responsiblities relinquished, in what he rightly describes as the "root issues",areas such as child poverty,illiteracy and affordable access to higher education.
The Archbishop is making an ethical attack on what he (and others) perceive as the Coalition's lack of concern for the most vulnerable sections of the community.And he's entirely right to do so.He's on a moral crusade.
He's also quite right to suggest that the Left needs to get its own house in order and come up with its own version of what a viable alternative would look like.
Meanwhile it would also help,if after more than a year in office,the Coalition now stopped blaming the previous Labour Government for its own unpopular, badly though out and ideologically motivated reforms in health and education.

Meanwhile it would also help,if after more than a year in office,the Coalition now stopped blaming the previous Labour Government for its own unpopular, badly though out and ideologically motivated reforms in health and education.

Yes, well it might be helpful if the previous government hadn't left problems that will last for generations.

Back