• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Wivenhoe Game Off

On the OS. Its because of concerns over the size of the squad.

Now Im really worried!

I wonder if the club have asked the FA for permission to delay our matches until such time that we are in a position to field a full team

Our beloved club is fast becoming a laughing stock

Al

In fairness the pre season schedule did look a bit over the top considering we were never going to have a big squad.

This is slightly worrying though. Would've thought the club would've easily been able to pack a side out with a fair few trialists at least.

Last season we have our squad photo cancelled due to a lack of transfers and this season we've gone one step further and had to cancel a game. Oh the fun of being a Southend fan in the summer.

Cue another 4 pages of threads of hand-wringing over the lack of signings, lack of cash, lack of ambition.

The reality is that having a match the night before against Canvey would have meant spreading the squad very thinly across two fixtures. The alternative would have been to field essentially a youth team against Wivenhoe which wouldn't have been fair to them.

I can only imagine that T&B thought they'd have 2 or 3 more bodies on board by now and that they could have put two reasonable teams out on consecutive nights; as this hasn't happended, this seems like a good decision to me.

I can only imagine that T&B thought they'd have 2 or 3 more bodies on board by now and that they could have put two reasonable teams out on consecutive nights; as this hasn't happended, this seems like a good decision to me.

It is the correct decision under the circumstances, but are we not entitled to be somewhat concerned about those circumstances? IF T&B thought they would have 2-3 new faces around at this stage, aren't we allowed to ask: why aren't they?

It is the correct decision under the circumstances, but are we not entitled to be somewhat concerned about those circumstances? IF T&B thought they would have 2-3 new faces around at this stage, aren't we allowed to ask: why aren't they?

We know why not.

One or two of them picked other clubs for one reason or another.

One ended up being sold for 3 or 4 times what we thought he was worth (me included).

One appears to be available but at a price that is higher than we want to pay. No idea if we'll increase our bid for him.

One is still holding out for the chance of big bucks with a CCC club.

We're waiting for one to get back to us.

We have two on trial but T&B don't really know how good they are, or whether they'll want to play for us if and when they get an offer.

None of this is secret; although for some reason that I can't figure out there seem to be a lot of posters on this board who don't seem to believe what RM, T&B, or Geoff King are saying.

our club is already a laughing stock and has been for some years.

Well I've just conducted a completely non-scientific piece of research - I asked all the blokes that I work with - and my conclusions are that 100% of them don't think we're a laughing stock, while 80% of them couldn't give a flying whatsit about whether we've signed players or not.

Now I'm willing to guess that my admittedly weak research is 100% more sound than yours because, lets face it, you just came to that conclusion by repeating some old cobblers that someone else wrote on here didn't you.

Dont think this call off is anything to do with squad size but more to do with the location of the match the ground is in colchester and rumour has it was going to be a few col u fans there waiting to meet southends finest

Its only Wivenhoe surely we could of sent an email round to the rest of the club asking if anyone fancied a game.

I'm sure this side could of given Wivenhoe a run for their money

GK - Lee Turner - Trains our keepers well should be able to handle himself
RB - Osei Sankofa - Will be comfortable at this level
LB - Paul Brush - Left peg and good distrubution will come in handy
CB - Ricky Duncan - Tall lad will win plenty in the air
CB - Dave Jobson - Who better than the head of security/safety to marshall the back 4
RM - Steve Parmenter - Ex league player still must have reasonable engine on him
LM - Dave Scriven - With camera
CM - Steve Tilson - Pulling all the strings in the middle of the park, great left peg
CM - Luke Hobbs - Reasonably young must be able to run about a bit
FW - Brian Dear - Scored 5 for West Ham once did you know?
FW - John Stannard - Handy to have the physio on the pitch, will save time not having to trek on from the sidelines when people get injured

Subs: Sammy The Shrimp, Elvis J Eel, Brian Wheeler, Geoff King, Ron Martin

Back