• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just watched the highlights and i cannot believe the ref gave a straight red for that!?!? its a booking at most, terrible decision. other peoples thoughts?

If that is a red then surely the one on Corr which left him with a fractured cheek and broken nose is also a red. Leading with an arm raised will always run the risk of getting a red card. For the rules, I thought that there had to be excessive force for it to be a red card.

It was a long way from where I was sitting, but I thought it was harsh. It looked like both players were going for the ball. No intent, but there was contact between elbow and head.

He lead with an arm and I think it was actually the right call. Yes, the challenge on Corr should also have been but that doesn't excuse Woodrow.

Just seen the elbow on Corr again (if you have Blues Player it is at 15:40 in the second half) and how the ref missed that is unbelievable.

Think people are looking at it with yellow and black specs on, looked like red to me, led with his elbow.

Never a red. Wasnt even looking at the player

That is why it was a straight red card, he jumped in without even looking for the ball so he no control over anything and yes I am a ref for 16 years and I would have sent him off

This game is turning into a non-contact sport. 12 red cards in 18 games, is spoiling the entertainment for many, when games get ruined by being 10 vs 11

I am not saying go back to the 70's, but there has to be a balance, and that "should" never have been a red card. I think we have all been sucked into this red card we are playing basketball frenzy.

I too would like to see a return to players being allowed to make contact.

Glad to see that old cynicism of bringing down a player time after time has gone but, for me, the pendulum has to start swinging back the other way now. Coker's sending off for 2 silly episodes (and likewise Hurst) is not my idea of a healthy marshalling of the laws of the game.

That is why it was a straight red card, he jumped in without even looking for the ball so he no control over anything and yes I am a ref for 16 years and I would have sent him off

The FA said:
Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the
danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary
use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off
The control he has isn't the issue, it's excessive force that matters. That's where interpretation comes into play, but using these guidelines I'd say he was unlucky in getting sent off. For me it's probably a yellow.

Poor decision. We have had some really poor refs this season; few "red" cards have warranted , either for us or when given against our opposition. The refs seem to have forgotten that the best referee is one that does his role unnoticed. They are NOT what we go to watch.

You see them given a fair bit for this. The disappointing thing is the fact the one on Corr went unpunished. Sheet happens I guess.

I have to rely on the goodwill of people posting on YouTube which is bloody stupid. Having seen it i can see why it was a red in today's game but I'm sure he was only intending to protect himself. Seemed to me he was in two minds whether to challenge and by the time he'd made his mind up he ended up as he did.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that is not a red card, yes he lead with his arm, but that is natural when jumping, I would like to see those who are saying its a red, jump with their arms at their side!!

The only problem with the challenge is that it is late, so it is a free-kick and maybe a yellow card, but he has not used excessive force and he hasn't swung his elbow.

I too would like to see a return to players being allowed to make contact.

Glad to see that old cynicism of bringing down a player time after time has gone but, for me, the pendulum has to start swinging back the other way now. Coker's sending off for 2 silly episodes (and likewise Hurst) is not my idea of a healthy marshalling of the laws of the game.

The other two sendings off were very soft.

Players are still allowed to make contact when making fair challenges.

Woodrow just jumped into the challenge not even looking at the ball with his arm raised. Makes no sense that sort of challenge should be allowed.

I'm sorry that is not a red card, yes he lead with his arm, but that is natural when jumping, I would like to see those who are saying its a red, jump with their arms at their side!!

The only problem with the challenge is that it is late, so it is a free-kick and maybe a yellow card, but he has not used excessive force and he hasn't swung his elbow.

Having your arms raised is different to leading with your arm.

99.9% of challenges for headers players do not do this, so they dont get sent off.

If that had been an opposition player against ours people wouldnt be so defensive.

Ask yourself why we appealed Barry Corrs red card earlier in the season but arent appealing this one, if it was as unjust as some are saying then we certainly would be.

I have to rely on the goodwill of people posting on YouTube which is bloody stupid. Having seen it i can see why it was a red in today's game but I'm sure he was only intending to protect himself. Seemed to me he was in two minds whether to challenge and by the time he'd made his mind up he ended up as he did.

Agreed, he wouldnt have intended it in a malicious way, guess just inexperience on his part.

Having watched it over and over, and in slow motion, I think the Portsmouth player deserves an oscar. Woody's arm came into contact at the back of his head, but it was a flat arm and very loose. It was clearly to help his jump, and not intended to elbow the opponent. The Portsmouth player has taken advantage of the situation and conned everyone.

Agreed, he wouldnt have intended it in a malicious way, guess just inexperience on his part.

Sorry, I just don't buy that. I agree that he didn't mean it in a malicious way, but Woodrow has been coached as a pro footballer since he was a young boy, rather than a young man. It is basic for any footballer, defender or forward, to use the arms to lever yourself off the ground. As a pro he would have also been coached to have a 'defensive elbow' handy, just in case. What he is guilty of is not looking what he was doing. Definite red card for me.

Last edited:
Back