• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some people need an arm around their shoulders to get the best out of them, some need a good rollocking. Sadly it seems that PB just does the latter.

How many players is that now who have said they don’t feel valued!?

Probably all of them. It's part of the negotiation. They want more than the club will offer. Usually they come to an agreement, and if they don't the player leaves.

Also, as your question it seems is Rhetorical to be able to point blame at certain individuals, why don't you give us your list ....

Corr, Payne, Thompson, Worrall, Atkinson just to name a few off the top of my head

I want him to stay, but I also want him to stay fit... I think it takes some cheek from a player who is so often injured to say I don't feel valued. The weight of his input, not including off games, is limited by how many games he plays. There in turn is his value in my eyes. Last season he played 73% of all league games. If we're offering 73% of what he believes his value is, that's fair as he's on track to play fewer games this season!

This 'I don't feel valued' scenario is becoming ridiculous. Everyone, footballers or not would like to be paid more lets face it! In this case I think it's a bargaining plea to leverage fans rather than a sincere message.

what personal issues? All he says in the Echo is he has young family to think about so he wants to get it sorted. The article is pretty standard for a player trying to get a new contract. Hardly deserves yet another let's bash PB session.

what personal issues? All he says in the Echo is he has young family to think about so he wants to get it sorted. The article is pretty standard for a player trying to get a new contract. Hardly deserves yet another let's bash PB session.

Luckily this thread is not another 'lets bash PB' session.

Corr, Payne, Thompson, Worrall, Atkinson just to name a few off the top of my head

Corr was long supported through injury, Payne is young and earned his chance of better football under our guidance, Thompson believed his own hype, Worrall was an in and out player that left a club that finished 14th to join a club that he felt had more potential, rightly, and Atkinson worked hard but was never a shoe in for a place and someone we would have looked to improve on. Were they undervalued or were they, like a lot of players, on their way up/down and do we particularly miss any one of them?

I'd say we miss Thompson. He may have made more appearances and therefore a more settled defence. We can't tell.

How many times have you said to your employer at pay review time "thanks for my wages, nah, of course I don't want to earn any more " ??

Come along now, Ayrshire is not going to miss out on having a dig at Brown is he, regardless of the thread.

Corr ; was offered a better deal, if he had been offered the same period contract, with the same money offered, he may have stayed. He MOANED after he left. Also, second part, has he gone on to better things since he left ? No !

Payne ; Offered so so much more money, at the end of his contract. Come on, surely he shouldn't be included in your list ! Cheap shot this one I feel.

Thompson ; Now, was he happy here under Phil and moved for money, meaning this is not a PB issue, as I know this is where your questions lead 9 times out of 10. Id say Ron and budget was factor here, not under valued on the pitch !

Worrall ; yep, agreed. fell out with PB, not really set the world alight elsewhere, but I did like him in a Southend shirt.

Atkinson ; for Atkinson Id say see my same points as per Thompson, budget more than valued on the pitch. This is a funny one though, as when Atko was here, massively divided opinion on here ( I for 1 rated him ), however, many slated PB for constantly playing him and questioning what he bought to the team ....

I'll help you out with 1, Prosser, fell out with PB .....

But, really, come on, at any football club you get a percentage of players that fall out with management, whereas you are again using Wordys comments ( to earn as most money has he can ) to start yet another thread against Brown !

Glad to hear we're starting contract talks with key players early.

How many times have we heard this same headline? Reads like fairly typical agent tactics:

'Anthony, they're not offering (me) you enough, can you go to the press and cry about not being wanted, you love the club, the fans, but if the manager wants to force me out....'

Yawn

Corr nearly doubled his money by going to Cambridge.....Its amazing how undervalued we would feel if anyone offered us double our wages. Looking at his injuries since he signed for them, they didn't do to well from that 'gamble'.

Wordsworth can be very useful when he plays and would be in most peoples, including PB's first choice 11. He does of course come with a risk and the equation will be what is the cost of said risk.

Blues star Wordsworth wants improved contract offer

ANTHONY Wordsworth says he is keen to show his value to Southend United against Oldham Athletic this weekend.

More...

Maybe these are his "personal issues" which mean he is not available for selection. Negotiating a new contract through the press won't go down well with Mr Brown. Our results when he is not playing are awful though.

Because he's treading on his toes?

That's is and will always be our problem. If they are good like Lenny or Payne we will lose them. If they are good honest value for money pros like Atkinson then fans aren't impressed.

So we have to take some sort of gamble if you are trying to punch above your weight, age or injury record.

Everyone would like a Ricky Holmes in their mid-field. The reason he is still at Charlton.......£9,000 per week. Yes we were interested when he was on his way up but Portsmouth offered a much better deal.

We've got 6 and a half years out of Ryan Leonard!

I'm more than happy for us to sign players who we get nearly 7 years great service out of like that out of and that we can sell on for a profit.

As for Holmes, I'd suggest that we just try and get in earlier with players like that and don't wait for them to become players everyone is chasing after. That may require better scouting, better non-league contacts. Would we have been outbid when he moved to Barnet from our neighbours Chelmsford?

I'd rather we gambled on players with that higher and longer term upside. It may be that they have a year of development before they are ready for the first team and I'm fine with that. Not everyone is going to work out but if we sign a Freddy, or a Bailey, a Ryan Hall it will pay for a lot more gambles of players on the way up in a way that constantly signing players in their 30s on their way down won't.

Wordy will certainly start becoming concerned about his family if he got no contract at all and became a free agent that no club would take a punt on, because of his injury record!

Because he's treading on his toes?

We've got 6 and a half years out of Ryan Leonard!

I'm more than happy for us to sign players who we get nearly 7 years great service out of like that out of and that we can sell on for a profit.

As for Holmes, I'd suggest that we just try and get in earlier with players like that and don't wait for them to become players everyone is chasing after. That may require better scouting, better non-league contacts. Would we have been outbid when he moved to Barnet from our neighbours Chelmsford?

I'd rather we gambled on players with that higher and longer term upside. It may be that they have a year of development before they are ready for the first team and I'm fine with that. Not everyone is going to work out but if we sign a Freddy, or a Bailey, a Ryan Hall it will pay for a lot more gambles of players on the way up in a way that constantly signing players in their 30s on their way down won't.

So your saying well done to PB for turning a right back who couldn't get into Southend's team in L2 into one of the best L1 covering mid-fielders......Which scout spotted that when he was at Plymouth....Not always as obvious as you make out. Why didn't Gillingham or Orient spot Ricky Holmes at Chelmsford but tried to sign him from Barnet.....Not always as obvious as you make out.

Cox scored 16 goals with 10 assists. Ferdinand tightened up and organised our leaking relegation threatened defence, including turning Thompson into a very good player for the rest of the season.

That's why we climbed up to 7th because we signed some old boys on their way down. Ask anyone from Pompey, MK or Oxford if Turner looks like a bad signing.

Harry Kyp will be looking forward to working and learning with such experience when he returns from injury. Lets hope we all benefit from that combination.

So your saying well done to PB for turning a right back who couldn't get into Southend's team in L2 into one of the best L1 covering mid-fielders......Which scout spotted that when he was at Plymouth.....

I think you will find that Mr Sturrock played Ryan Leonard in midfield when he signed him.
Mr Brown had a lot to thank Mr Sturrock for - the back bone of his promotion team
Bentley
Timlin
Leonard
Corr
Prosser
Hurst

and of course Jack Payne was on the books as well.

Back