• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our form is poor without Wordsworth in the side and that was the case last season as well, if we don't sort out a new contract for him we could be in a relegation battle next season.

Did he have a torn thigh muscle for all but 140 minutes last season as well?

Maybe PB would have more money to spend on transfer fees and we'd be less in debt if we paid less in wages to the overs 30s, signed some young players of his own with sell on value (none of those three he brought to the club!) and had some cup runs?

Getting players with resale value isn't that cheap is the problem, either you take total gambles with players who did nothing at their previous club or you have to pay transfer/compensation fees. Peterborough have gone down the latter route and despite having an extensive scouting operation and getting some good fees in are overall operating at a loss. For each player you do get a good return on, there are a ton with no resale value at all in the end.

Did he have a torn thigh muscle for all but 140 minutes last season as well?

Maybe PB would have more money to spend on transfer fees and we'd be less in debt if we paid less in wages to the overs 30s, signed some young players of his own with sell on value (none of those three he brought to the club!) and had some cup runs?

No it was because wasn't good enough to play regular first team football ahead of Ferdinand and Thompson......Its quite simple really. That's why he got sent on loan to play at CB etc......

Of course as you have such a keen interest in young players how about attending a Check-a-Trade (or previous names) you might be able to see these things for yourself.

By the way I always knew Ferguson was a fraud we all know it wasn't him who signed Beckham, Scholes, Giggs or the Neville brothers. How he got any credit for winning that treble is beyond me

I'm no scout but even I was saying on here we needed to lock Ryan Leonard up to a long term contract as a future key midfielder before Brown ever darkened the doorway of Roots Hall.

I know he likes a bit of TV and radio work on the side but painting and decorating ?

No it was because wasn't good enough to play regular first team football ahead of Ferdinand and Thompson......Its quite simple really. That's why he got sent on loan to play at CB etc......

Of course as you have such a keen interest in young players how about attending a Check-a-Trade (or previous names) you might be able to see these things for yourself.

By the way I always knew Ferguson was a fraud we all know it wasn't him who signed Beckham, Scholes, Giggs or the Neville brothers. How he got any credit for winning that treble is beyond me

Is that the same Ferguson whose Man U lost to the mighty Shrimpers 1-0 ? Rubbish manager.

How is there any justification for signing a player that is only available for a third of matches for the season. He is undoubtedly our best attacking player...bit he is always out. It's a no for me.

I'm afraid that this is a direct result of a totally unbalanced wage structure within the club. We have some players on very high contracts, others not so much, and others still somewhere in the middle.

You've described almost every pro football club.

Our form is poor without Wordsworth in the side and that was the case last season as well, if we don't sort out a new contract for him we could be in a relegation battle next season.
we will be in one this season if we are not able to get him playing ...

Strange timing from Wordsworth I think - surely you declare your value to the club when you’re playing really well - whereas to be fair he’s been pretty average so far this season? I’d agree that an on-form Wordsworth makes us tick as a team, but he’s not found that form of late.
But this is also a consequence of our rectruitment of late - we’ve gone for higher profile players who we all assume are on better money than those they replaced. It’s going to make other team members who do a good job look at them and say “I should be on what they are on”. If I was Coker, Wordsworth, Leonard, Timlin, I’d be interested in this. Recruitment isn’t just about who you sign - it’s about not dividing the camp whilst you sign them!

There's probably some truth on what you say, but don't include Leonard in that. He turned down a much improved offer because he wants to leave at the end of the season.

Slightly off topic, but still on topic regarding contracts and salaries.

Quite an interesting article from Bristol Rovers boss Darrell Clarke, which I think most fans & managers of clubs in the lower divisions understand.

It all sounds too familiar to us also, when he talks about frustration regarding results so far this season, and about their plans for a future stadium.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42184357

As for Wordsworth, I do agree that overall we do play better with him, than without him. But publicly playing the usual "i don't feel valued" card during contract negotiations is poor form and sadly seems to be the norm these days across all clubs.

The problem is, if we continue to keep being held hostage for what an individual player believes his worth, and paying up. We will either be bankrupt ( a hell lot worse than we are now) or end up playing the U23 squad to make ends meet.

Lets be honest ,i think nearly everyone on here said preseason that PB should bring in another creative midfielder as we all knew of Wordsworth injury problems , if this had been done then probably we would be doing a lot better than we are. PB opted for a 17 year old who undoubtedly has potential ,but at present is not ready to adequately take over from WW when his he injured.

Quite simply for me, we offer what we think he's worth, yet as a club , we need an alternative, in case that offer is refused. With his injury record I wouldn't break the bank for him, but yes, I'd like to him stay.

But as I've touched upon, how can you plan for next season, a club like Southend , with a tight budget, when you don't know your manager ... ? PB may want, but , if he isn't here, the next manager may not .... its tough

Quite simply for me, we offer what we think he's worth, yet as a club , we need an alternative, in case that offer is refused. With his injury record I wouldn't break the bank for him, but yes, I'd like to him stay.

But as I've touched upon, how can you plan for next season, a club like Southend , with a tight budget, when you don't know your manager ... ? PB may want, but , if he isn't here, the next manager may not .... its tough

Very well put. Just add in a chairman who has created the biggest debt level the club has had in its history. Even tougher.

Huh. I'm sure if one of our glorious former chairmen were in charge the debt level would be even higher.

Not disagreeing with that. Just making the point that's its a difficult scenario.

Back